Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing the RF system in my 06 Xterra that has the stock single disc player. Why? Because it sounds a hella lot better and its some what stock so sticky finger thieves won't try to steal it. I also figure there are some RF systems floating around here from members who have upgraded. Question is what will I need besides the RF head unit and the sub/speakers? I'm assuming there is a harness I need to change behind the dash for the RF system? I'm also hoping the sub harness is under the seat tucked away maybe? Any help would be great. Thanks..Tony

·
on line
463 Posts
From what i saw when I had this " Grand thought" Nothing is in your vehicle.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
yeah It is not worth the money to do this, I started to do this awhile back and it finally came to the Amp which was required, since there isn't one in the rf headunit and Nissan wanted to charge me 300 for it.

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. What if I was able to get all the components including the amp? I'm wondering if the harnesses are compatable. XterraDude....do you recall if you had to change out/add additional plugs or harnesses for the RF setup? I just wanna make sure before I go after market. Or possibbly use the RF sub with the aftermarket stereo for simplicity? Thanks...Tony

·
on line
316 Posts
You mise as well just go full aftermarket if your gonna skip the amp.

·
on line
14 Posts
I just pulled the entire RF system from X, wiring harnesses included. If you are interested in it, let me know. All you'd have to do is run the wire.

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no I'm not wanting to skip out on the amp for the RF system. I'm just wanting to make sure I will have everything needed to install the full RF system in my NON-RF X. I was also hoping to be able to get and install the RF steering wheel audio controls as well. I figure maybe the dealer sells the controls and the harness for the controls is hidden in the steering wheel somewhere. Hell I'm willing to do a photographed write up on how to do this mod if everything works out.

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok just got off the phone with Nissan. They are telling me that the radio harness for the RF unit and the stock single disc radio are different. So if I decided to go the RF route I would need to get the entire dash harness for it to work. Can anyone verify this?

·
on line
114 Posts
If you're going to spend the money to upgrade your X's stereo, you can do a lot better for less money than the RF system. Not to mention less effort.

·
on line
352 Posts
Don't do it...If you were to anyways, you lack the wiring bridge that is under the passenger seat of those who have the RF system. It's factory, so it's retarded. There are no RCA's or anything simple like that, it's all 20 GA wires...Not worth it.

·
on line
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys I'm throwing in the towel on the RF system. Guess I'm gonnna go after market. Thanks for all the help anyways guys. I appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts