Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any time you start talking filters, you're opening a can of worms. Everyone has a strong opinion. For what it's worth, here is mine.

First, I'm not a big fan of the oiled fabric filters (K&N, etc.)...been there done that. My opinion, you are paying a large premium for a minimal performance gain and the quality of the filtration is questionable. There are also the worries about MAF sensor contamination from the oil...I never had a problem with that, but I've read of those who have.

I believe a high quality paper filter is tough to beat. My personal preference has been either OEM replacements or WIX filters for both oil and air. You can search the internet and you will see that in oil filter teardowns, WIX are always near the top in features and quality of construction. You can also buy them as NAPA Gold brand, but you will pay a few bucks more.

Today I did the 30K replacement of my air filter. Here is a comparison of the WIX 46213 to the stock Nissan filter. I counted the pleats in the filters. The OEM filter has 55 and the WIX has 87. That is almost 60% great filtration area for the WIX filter. It is made in the USA and the foam gasket material seems very comparable to the OEM filter.

·
on line
355 Posts
I agree w staying stock. People wonder why their oil gets so dirty and turns black. Well 90% of them have aftermarket filters.. My oil is clear like new. I run stock filter..

·
on line
1,420 Posts
sweet...thanks for posting...gives us all options.

- j

·
on line
72 Posts
Amsoil air filters no longer use layers of oil soaked foam. The new Amsoil EAA filters are made from a blue colored micro fiber or nano-fiber they call it. I dont remember the pleat count but it was about 75% more pleats than the stock nissan filter. Plus its guaranteed for 100,000 miles or 4 yrs. Cleaned by vacuuming the dirty side or blowing high pressure air through it from the clean side. I have used only Amsoil products for several years in several vehicles with zero oil related problems.

·
on line
652 Posts
Some very good evidence on what filter you should use is the video on Trueflow.com.

After i watched that vid. I junked my K&n. I was going to order their filter and decided to switch to Amsoil.

The amsoil filter is like 98% efficient where th K&N is only 85%.
I think mine was around 30.00 so 7.50 a year is ok with me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts