Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem:
Find a solution to stiffen the Xterra’s front – improving ON-ROAD handing, cornering, bump absorption, sway, etc. If possible, retain stock off-road capabilities.

Background:
I (and many other members) find the Xterra’s suspension to be a bit soft. This is well documented for the rear leaf springs with multiple solutions (AALs, bump stops, air bags, etc). For the rear I personally added a Road Master Active suspension and found it helpful (my reviews of this product are on the site).

Stiffening the rear helped, but I still wanted to improve upon the X’s on-road capabilities without detracting much from its stock off-road capabilities. My X is a DD and sees 90% of its life on pavement with the remaining 10% towing and light off-roading to trail heads.

Researching, I stumbled across a company that makes a number of suspension solutions. The company is SuperSprings and based in CA. I found their SumoSpring product of particular interest.

(They also make a bumpstops and AALs. And could be a viable alternative to Timbrens, etc.)

Website: http://supersprings.com/coil_sumosprings_overview.asp

They did not have an Xterra listed, so I contacted the company and over the course of a few weeks I worked directly with them to take measurements and adapt one of their existing models to the Xterra.

Review / Verdict:
I worked with Mike at SuperSprings, who really was just an awesome guy and extremely helpful. He set me up with guidelines for taking measurements of the front coils (both under load and at full drop). From there he recommended product number CCS-1094 to start. A few days later it was at my house.

I had it easily installed over the weekend (more on that below) and took it for a 650+ mile round trip mini-vacation to Washington, D.C. Driving from CT to DC I was able to experience a number of on-road suspension scenarios. From highway cruising, to city driving, the Xterra went though high speed potholes, construction zones, speed bumps and terrible NYC / DC roads. With a high speed avoidance maneuver and a few hard braking sessions to add to the fun.

In the end I found that the SumoCoil springs were up to the task and made a noticeable difference. I find them to be an excellent value, especially for the price (retail $114.30). For those seeking to retain stock off-road capabilities and improve on-road handing these are excellent. They also do not lift the truck (a plus for me since city parking was barely tall enough for the X as is it). I found them to be a good alternative to the much more expensive stiffer coil options / shocks I was contemplating.

SumoCoils are progressive poly foam inserts put between the coils. They make for a more controlled suspension engagement. I found that the X was better at taking corners and absorbing road imperfections. I was worried (and willing to accept) that a stiffer front would lead to a harsher ride – but not with this product. The X is much smoother, with no sudden drop or jarrings over pot holes / speed bumps. The front end soaks things up quite well and handling is improved. By no means is the X a race car. It’s a bit more nimble - it's less floaty / flubbery. The suspension is no longer easily upset. Wind sway is also (slightly) reduced.

For what I wanted, my money was well spent on this product. I am a satisfied customer and would recommend them to others.

(P.S. they are also supposed to help with front end load. Mostly snow-plows – but I could see this being a possible help to those running front armor and not upgrading the front suspension.)

Product photos:

Mini how-to:

This video is great: http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-suspension-2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-css-1145.aspx

1. Optional: Wash your X.

2. Jack up the front and remove the tires. Clean the coils

3. Slide the SumoCoils between the 3rd and 4th coil on the X and secure in place

4. Optional: Add stickers

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Possible Group By

Also, if folks find that they want to give this a try - they said they would be open to a group by.

Let me know and I'll setup another thread to gauge interest.

These retail for $114.30- so it would be a bit off of this. Discount dependent on groupby size.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious what that gray sleeve is on the bottom coil of your springs? I don't remember that on my factory springs when I removed them.
No clue. Came from the factory that way. My guess is its a guard / wrap for the bottom part of the coil.

·
West North Central Regional Moderator
9,790 Posts
mine had it too. IIRC, it's to keep them from squeaking.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Interesting. What exactly did you have to measure? I might be interested, but I have OME coilovers, don't know the difference between the OEM and OME springs.'

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8vlAGJeQw&feature=plcp

Got a Fronty in there, and some wheeling (can't say how much is stock footage, but you can clearly see the springs at work). Seems like they're currently offering a $100 rebate on certain SumoSprings (the leaf pack type).

Good discovery!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The gray piece on the bottom of the coils are isolators, to keep road noise down.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. What exactly did you have to measure? I might be interested, but I have OME coilovers, don't know the difference between the OEM and OME springs.'

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8vlAGJeQw&feature=plcp

Got a Fronty in there, and some wheeling (can't say how much is stock footage, but you can clearly see the springs at work). Seems like they're currently offering a $100 rebate on certain SumoSprings (the leaf pack type).

Good discovery!
Thanks! Yes, they have quite a few different products available. From leaf pack to bumpstops (which may be a good alternative to timbrens), to the coil inserts.

For measurements, they sent me over a coil measurement sheet.

The following measurements are requested, with 4 being the most important.
1. Coil count
2. diameter of coil
3. Gap between 3rd coil and gap between 4th coil (with tire on, level ground)
4. Gap between 3rd and 4th coil with front end jacked up, tire removed, at full drop.
5. Width of individual coils

I took the measurements on stock springs which is the same for all years and trims.

Terrance - If you want I could email you the measurement sheet in case you wanted to try them on your aftermarket coil setup.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting....

Keep us posted on how the quality maintains after a winter/more wheeling/ and DD use

I like the rear suspension options

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
It's been about 3 months and 5,000 miles (with a few road trips). Still looks brand new. Will update after a bit. This though is for the front suspension setup I bought from them. I don't have anything on the rear from them.

Nisstech's lift spacer stiffens things up pretty well for about the same price and much better looks.
I looked at those, but landed on the SumoCoils as I did not want a lift, and spacers aren't really a handling upgrade. They aren't progressive like SumoCoils (or even a timbren bumpstop) so I don't get how a spacer would enhance handling.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hey iamamused, came across this post and Im interested, do you still use them, how are these doing after 17 months? Do you know if I am going to be able to use the same model considering I have 1.5" coil spacer at the top?

Thanks man
Ramiro

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey iamamused, came across this post and Im interested, do you still use them, how are these doing after 17 months? Do you know if I am going to be able to use the same model considering I have 1.5" coil spacer at the top?

Thanks man
Ramiro
Yes I still use them. They have held up well, through 2 new england winters. I'm still happy with them and would recommend them as a good, cost effective way, to stiffen your coils. I actually bought a second fun car, and rather than change the entire suspension will be adding the sumo coils to all 4 corners (and some new shocks).

I would think that a spacer wouldn't make a difference since you are still on the same stock coils. The same model I bought should work. You could always email the guys at Super Springs just to check, they were great to deal with.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4 Posts
Resurrecting an old Post here. Just got the same sumo coils for my 2nd gen. Was wondering how you got these on so easily?? I was at it for a few hours and couldn't get them completely on. Also did you have to trim them at all? It looks like they overlap quite a bit supposedly anything over an inch of overlap needs to be trimmed. I know it's been a few years since you slapped these on but any help is greatly appreciated 👍

·
Registered
146 Posts
Following, anyone else have these??
I have considered them as I have the sumo rear bump stops and have been happy with them. The ride loaded is much better, a difference you can feel and notice.

Wondering if that is the same for the front coil springs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Resurrecting an old Post here. Just got the same sumo coils for my 2nd gen. Was wondering how you got these on so easily?? I was at it for a few hours and couldn't get them completely on. Also did you have to trim them at all? It looks like they overlap quite a bit supposedly anything over an inch of overlap needs to be trimmed. I know it's been a few years since you slapped these on but any help is greatly appreciated 👍
1. Wet everything with a dish soap/water mix I use for finding air leaks.
2. On the side where the sumo spring was sitting in the sun - it went on EZPZ ;)
3. On the difficult side I used a breaker bar/pipe to carefully pry the spring coil just enough to start the sumo spring on.
4. I used the phillips screwdriver to rotate them around and to make it easier to get zip ties through.
5. At the overlap (that you would normally trim) - there is one one hole for a zip tie on the bottom that has to go down and not up like the other zipties (see pix more carefully ;)

I hope this helps...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts