Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
And to think about a week before this thread started I was about to buy this shock. It seemed like such a good shock on paper and from reviews. Hopefully, he addresses in some form that these things have been fixed or will have them fixed. After anyone does a search about these shocks for research, they'll immediately be turned away if they find this thread and no resolution. Guess it's time to save for the 2.5 extended radflos

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
And to think about a week before this thread started I was about to buy this shock. It seemed like such a good shock on paper and from reviews. Hopefully, he addresses in some form that these things have been fixed or will have them fixed. After anyone does a search about these shocks for research, they'll immediately be turned away if they find this thread and no resolution. Guess it's time to save for the 2.5 extended radflos
I suppose this answers why you never want to be on the cutting edge of things. I wish this wasn't the case, but sadly I have very little confidence any more. I'll be doing radflo's soon enough.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
1,096 Posts
Sorry you're dealing with this, please keep us updated. I feel fortunate these weren't quite ready when I pulled the trigger on my radflo's last year. They were a serious alternate option for my X.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Sorry you're dealing with this, please keep us updated. I feel fortunate these weren't quite ready when I pulled the trigger on my radflo's last year. They were a serious alternate option for my X.
Yep. Get every penny refunded immediately. Or push him to replace them with a set of Rads or something.
Thanks for the morale support guys. At this point this is likely wishful thinking for a guy who seems to pick and choose which customers he serves meanwhile he takes money from all.

I just hope people Google these before buying and stay away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be picking up a set of these this Saturday. I haven't been able to find any good reviews on these coil-overs on this forum yet and it seems like they are only getting negative reviews. Any sane person would probably just go with 5100s or radflos but my curiosity is getting the best of me. There's a couple of reasons I am getting these coil-overs despite them having only negative reviews. One, it turns out I'm super close to PRG (45 mins away). I was convinced that they are still in SoCal up until I called them a couple of days ago. This will take a lot of the waiting out of question. Second, the coil-over is still very much in its development phase. Im not surprised that the coil-over is having issues because nothing is perfect right away. I think that this will be an amazing Coilover at a really good price once all of the issues are worked out. Im also sure that there are people with these coil-overs out there that haven't had any issues. Basically I am most likely shooting myself in the foot here but part of me believes that they have potential to be good. If everything goes smoothly i will pick them up this Saturday and try to throw them on as soon as I can and will keep you guys updated. Also I wasn't sure if I did the right thing by replying on this thread or if I should have just started a new one, but its my first day on here so pls let me know.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I will be picking up a set of these this Saturday. I haven't been able to find any good reviews on these coil-overs on this forum yet and it seems like they are only getting negative reviews. Any sane person would probably just go with 5100s or radflos but my curiosity is getting the best of me. There's a couple of reasons I am getting these coil-overs despite them having only negative reviews. One, it turns out I'm super close to PRG (45 mins away). I was convinced that they are still in SoCal up until I called them a couple of days ago. This will take a lot of the waiting out of question. Second, the coil-over is still very much in its development phase. Im not surprised that the coil-over is having issues because nothing is perfect right away. I think that this will be an amazing Coilover at a really good price once all of the issues are worked out. Im also sure that there are people with these coil-overs out there that haven't had any issues. Basically I am most likely shooting myself in the foot here but part of me believes that they have potential to be good. If everything goes smoothly i will pick them up this Saturday and try to throw them on as soon as I can and will keep you guys updated. Also I wasn't sure if I did the right thing by replying on this thread or if I should have just started a new one, but its my first day on here so pls let me know.
Not at all, at the end of the day we are a community. Please keep us updated with your experience. I really hope it varies from mine. For what it is worth, up until the second the shatter or leak or unscrew or whatever, they ride awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heres a quick update, i stopped by PRG this Saturday to pick up the PRG coilovers along with 5100s for the rear and dual add a leafs. Greg didn't have any of the top hats in stock at the moment so I got to watch him make the top hats for my shocks. it was super cool to watch him machine them and I spoke to him about all of the problems the shock has been having and he showed me what he did to fix those problems. he was very helpful and gave me a bunch of tips on how to install everything. I definitely have more faith in these things now, and I am super excited to see how they will perform. If all goes to plan, I will be putting everything on next weekend. Super pumped to see how these will perform.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I got to speak to Greg today, he is going to swap me over to a set of 2.0 Radflos on good faith. I‘ve been quoted an 8-9 week build time.

FWIW, it takes time but so far Greg hasn’t done me dirty outside of subpar shocks. However, Greg is infamous for customer service not not inferior products which has me scratching my head here. Hopefully the Radflo’s will help me solve this problem for the next several thousand miles.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
1,096 Posts
I got to speak to Greg today, he is going to swap me over to a set of 2.0 Radflos on good faith. I‘ve been quoted an 8-9 week build time.

FWIW, it takes time but so far Greg hasn’t done me dirty outside of subpar shocks. However, Greg is infamous for customer service not not inferior products which has me scratching my head here. Hopefully the Radflo’s will help me solve this problem for the next several thousand miles.
Happy that you got ahold of him and you're getting the radflo's. What a frustrating experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to hear about the new round of problems ccg. My saga with these things has (I think) come to a close. I left Greg a message and sent an email describing the rubbing on the inside of the spring and referenced this thread. This was a couple weeks ago. I got a rapid-fire three-message response (read in reverse order and the "quote" in the top one is from my message to him):

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:34 PM Greg Gagnon <[email protected]> wrote:
"This is obviously an incredibly unsafe situation and I need these off my truck right away". this is NOT an unsafe situation.
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Greg Gagnon <[email protected]> wrote:
on yours, it looks as though the coil may be touching the outside of the body of the shocks, this is common, and often just needs the coil smacked over to the other side. This mostly happens with the 2.5" shocks, but from every brand/mfg.
On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:28 PM Greg Gagnon <[email protected]> wrote:
your shocks are NOTHING like the issue the other guy that failed. His upper mount allowed the spring to slide over until it was touching the shaft, that is NOT happening at all in the picture you sent.
Once I talked to him he realized that I did have the version of these that allows the spring to move and that I was the guy who had the failure back in October. He eventually agreed to give me a refund. I wanted these off the truck ASAP. Due to long lead times on coilovers right now, I ordered up a set of 2" ebay spacers and swapped them out last weekend.

Here's what I found:

You can see the shaft is not centered in the upper perch on either unit. Pebbles of various sizes were wedged in there and were keeping them from moving any longer (hey, an easy fix! 😂). Both shocks are leaking and look pretty much like the photos ccg posted of his second pair.

The passenger side shows no indication that the spring was ever hitting the shaft so the nuts backing off issue I had might not be related to spring/shaft contact. Passenger side was leaking worse than the driver's side though, so leak issue may not be related either.

I asked for and got my refund in advance of sending the shocks back, I couldn't deal with the possibility of chasing Greg down again. UPS tracking says he received the shocks. I think I'm done with this. All it cost me was a $150 repair bill, an afternoon sweating and cussing to swap them out, and another $100 or so for another alignment.

FWIW, the ride quality of stock (Pro 4-X) Bilstein's plus spacers and SPC UCA's is pretty close to the PRG coilovers. The biggest difference is less body roll when cornering with the coilovers, but the on-road ride is almost indistinguishable over bumps and potholes and such. Haven't been off road yet. And I'm in a Frontier with a ~900lb pop-up camper on back so YMMV.

Good luck to all who have these and keep an eye on them. Happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
830 Posts
In my opinion there should be a spring insulator under that spacer to help keep the spring in place and to keep the spring from wearing into the spacer.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·

I really tried thinking the best of this guy, but he’s ghosted me yet again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really tried thinking the best of this guy, but he’s ghosted me yet again.
He's doing the same to me. Bought some OME shocks and springs from him back in June. I received the rear springs and shocks very quickly but with no hardware. Emailed him, called him 3 times, and nothing.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts