Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also noticed a thumping sound when I went over humps. Thats when i looked at the bottom and found hydraulic oil all over my LCA. I thought at first that it was a seal until i took the shock out. I dropped off the shock to Aldan American two days ago and told them that the top cover spins out. They will also service my other shock as well. I think the vibration affects the shock when you drive fast on dirt roads. I will give an update when i talk to the techs at Aldan American.

·
Well then...
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I also noticed a thumping sound when I went over humps. Thats when i looked at the bottom and found hydraulic oil all over my LCA. I thought at first that it was a seal until i took the shock out. I dropped off the shock to Aldan American two days ago and told them that the top cover spins out. They will also service my other shock as well. I think the vibration affects the shock when you drive fast on dirt roads. I will give an update when i talk to the techs at Aldan American.
Interesting, thank you for sharing. This looks like a different issue all together.

How long have you had them on your truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had these on my truck for about 6 mos. I do moderate off roading (rocks, sand dessert, snow, mud). I like how well these shocks respond. I just hope this is not a re-occuring issue. I hate to give this shock a bad review because we have limited options out there.

·
Well then...
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I had these on my truck for about 6 mos. I do moderate off roading (rocks, sand dessert, snow, mud). I like how well these shocks respond. I just hope this is not a re-occuring issue. I hate to give this shock a bad review because we have limited options out there.
Uh-oh, 6 months is just about how long I had these as well. I really hope my replacement set lasts longer!

For the record, this is about as rough if a trail as I’ll ever go on. It’s called wheeler pass about 45 minutes outside of Vegas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh yeah, my theory is that the vibration on those fire road type trails willl unscrew the top cover of the shock tube. I go to similar roads before the rock crawling trails and just speed thru it. You mentioned that your other side rubs the spring, did the new top hat address that issue?

·
Well then...
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Oh yeah, my theory is that the vibration on those fire road type trails willl unscrew the top cover of the shock tube. I go to similar roads before the rock crawling trails and just speed thru it. You mentioned that your other side rubs the spring, did the new top hat address that issue?
It looks like that has been resolved, my confidence in these just keeps dwindling sadly. They ride awesome but now it appears they have a tendency to fall apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Well then...
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Had my first chance to take these on a shake down run today, upon they made it home no problem. Here’s a good representation of 99% of the stuff we do out here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, add me to the list if folks with trouble with this coilover. In my case, the nuts holding the top of the shaft to the upper spring perch backed off. On the drivers side the nuts came all the way off. This led to the shaft coming out of the hole in the spring perch and the top of the shaft banging against the spring perch - luckily this happened at low speed on a gravel road. There was one of the two nuts left on the passenger side - it was about to fail too.

I wonder if either of you guys with failures think this could have led to your failures? I kind of doubt it from what I just read, it sounds like a third way these things can go wrong.

Of course I complained to Greg and after a bunch of ignoring me and then some back and forth, he promised to send me a replacement. He's never returned my calls or sent anything since (this was like 6 months ago). I figured properly tightening those nuts probably solved my problem, but now I wonder if I'm in store for more problems.

OP, can you tell from this photo if I have the new or old upper perch design? (thanks in advance!)

More details and pics here: New PRG Aluminum Coilovers - Buyer Beware

·
Well then...
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Well, add me to the list if folks with trouble with this coilover. In my case, the nuts holding the top of the shaft to the upper spring perch backed off. On the drivers side the nuts came all the way off. This led to the shaft coming out of the hole in the spring perch and the top of the shaft banging against the spring perch - luckily this happened at low speed on a gravel road. There was one of the two nuts left on the passenger side - it was about to fail too.

I wonder if either of you guys with failures think this could have led to your failures? I kind of doubt it from what I just read, it sounds like a third way these things can go wrong.

Of course I complained to Greg and after a bunch of ignoring me and then some back and forth, he promised to send me a replacement. He's never returned my calls or sent anything since (this was like 6 months ago). I figured properly tightening those nuts probably solved my problem, but now I wonder if I'm in store for more problems.

OP, can you tell from this photo if I have the new or old upper perch design? (thanks in advance!)

More details and pics here: New PRG Aluminum Coilovers - Buyer Beware
Not from this picture. Can you take a picture from the bottom looking up at the top hat?

·
Registered
968 Posts
These used to be on the top of my list for my suspension upgrade, whenever that happens, but with the issues coming out of the woodwork you couldn’t pay me to run these. This is a MAJOR safety issue and everyone is lucky none of these failed at highway speeds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is looking up at the upper perch:

And also, it's a lousy picture, but there is a rusty patch on the inside of the coil (out of focus here) where the powdercoating has been worn off:

I assume this is evidence of the spring rubbing against something it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is looking up at the upper perch:

And also, it's a lousy picture, but there is a rusty patch on the inside of the coil (out of focus here) where the powdercoating has been worn off:

I assume this is evidence of the spring rubbing against something it shouldn't be.
Those look like the old style perches (not good). The rub on the ID of the spring is a big problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, a lot of issues with this coilovers. I need to make sure that nut is tight and find a way to lock it when i get mine from Aldan American.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those look like the old style perches (not good). The rub on the ID of the spring is a big problem.
Thanks, that's what I was expecting. Boy, considering there is a known design flaw that can lead to catastrophic failure, I'd think a business would reach out to folks who have the faulty units and get them replaced. Guess that's not the PRG way. Now I get to play the game of "try to get Greg to respond". Will keep updating this thread with my results as long as the OP doesn't mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my shocks from Aldan American. Their customer service is awsome. They serviced both my shocks no cost because its under warranty. I talked to the techs from Aldan and they mentioned that the only way that the top cover of the tube of the shock to unscrew is if the shaft is somehow twisting when it goes up and down. For those poeple that are having issues, contact them. They can fix your shocks if you are under two years or service both shocks for $125. With that, i am not sure if this has to do with the top hat design. Time will tell. For now I will JB weld the tube cover just to be on the safe side. I will post some pics. I will work on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I got my shocks from Aldan American. Their customer service is awsome. They serviced both my shocks no cost because its under warranty. I talked to the techs from Aldan and they mentioned that the only way that the top cover of the tube of the shock to unscrew is if the shaft is somehow twisting when it goes up and down. For those poeple that are having issues, contact them. They can fix your shocks if you are under two years or service both shocks for $125. With that, i am not sure if this has to do with the top hat design. Time will tell. For now I will JB weld the tube cover just to be on the safe side. I will post some pics. I will work on it tomorrow.

JB weld to help keep your shocks from failing catastrophically?

Haaarrrddd pass.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts