Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
So here we are, 22 days after I spoke with PRG on the phone. The same day PRG said he’d get those sent out ASAP and accepted liability for a faulty design that had since been addressed.

The last I heard from Greg was a response to an email on 2/25. It stated I’d have tracking info that same day.

Since then I have emailed seven times and have called him every week day, leaving a message, starting 3/3.

At this point I have no confidence in PRG to deliver on their promise and cannot recommend anyone run this set up without first ensuring they have the corrected top hat design.

Not bashing the guy, knowing that when you run a small business you can have life happen to you (ie sick kid) and you simply cannot tend to your business and I don’t know that this so not the case. However I am unlikely to again conduct business with someone 1) sold me a product that I trusted to be free of such a potentially deadly design flaw 2) has a reputation for ghosting people and is seemingly doing that now.

Please, don’t let this thread become one where hatred or nasty comments are spewed that is not my intention, simply providing an update.
Lol. See my "good luck" comment above.
There are a lot of people around here that could have predicted your current predicament to the T.

I hate it for you. Sucky situation to be in.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Lol. See my "good luck" comment above.
There are a lot of people around here that could have predicted your current predicament to the T.

I hate it for you. Sucky situation to be in.
Indeed, I really debated ordering in the first place because of the reputation but my ordering process was pretty flawless I must admit.

On the bright side, no one was hurt. Sucks, but “stuff” and property can always be replaced but not so easy with life and limbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Indeed, I really debated ordering in the first place because of the reputation but my ordering process was pretty flawless I must admit.

On the bright side, no one was hurt. Sucks, but “stuff” and property can always be replaced but not so easy with life and limbs.
I knew his customer service was terrible, but I didn't even anticipate a faulty shock on his end. I figured as long as you get the product, who cares! But now I will definitely be looking to MK84s or just buckle up for Radflos. Its hard to find a comparable shock that's 2.5 inch for that price sadly. Sorry this happened man. Hopefully you find some resolution to this at some point.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well I felt I waited long enough to post an update but as it worked out I just got a reply via an email. PRG promised shipping today.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Maybe he is actually following the forum?
For some reason I feel like it's not a coincidence.
Things may seem to add up that way, but I certainly hope that is not the case. I’m trying to stay as detached (a term I’m borrowing from Jocko, a good read or listen on audible) as possible to be able to form a conscience and educated opinion.

I know that every time someone goes after a vendor for a bad experience on this forum we tend to play it off as a one time occurrence or a “Karen” or “Karen’s husband” who is making a fuss out of nothing, maybe also attributing it to it also becoming harder and harder for some to acknowledge that not every business can provide the Amazon next day delivery type of service due to limitations in resources.

With that being said, would it make sense that Greg would monitor this site for negative comments before addressing issues while also running a business full time and having a family? I’d say not logically.

Do I have reason to feel upset and ignored? Absolutely. But I think stating that the only reason I’m getting traction is because 5 minutes ago I posted an update, might be a little bit of a stretch at this time.

·
Registered
727 Posts
With that being said, would it make sense that Greg would monitor this site for negative comments before addressing issues while also running a business full time and having a family? I’d say not logically.
Unfortunately, I think it's more logical than you think.
I'd bet having the public light shined on your procrastination makes it much harder to ignore.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Things may seem to add up that way, but I certainly hope that is not the case. I’m trying to stay as detached (a term I’m borrowing from Jocko, a good read or listen on audible) as possible to be able to form a conscience and educated opinion.

I know that every time someone goes after a vendor for a bad experience on this forum we tend to play it off as a one time occurrence or a “Karen” or “Karen’s husband” who is making a fuss out of nothing, maybe also attributing it to it also becoming harder and harder for some to acknowledge that not every business can provide the Amazon next day delivery type of service due to limitations in resources.

Do I have reason to feel upset and ignored? Absolutely. But I think stating that the only reason I’m getting traction is because 5 minutes ago I posted an update, might be a little bit of a stretch at this time.
He does monitor this site....

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, I think it's more logical than you think.
I'd bet having the public light shined on your procrastination makes it much harder to ignore.
He does monitor this site....
thanks guys, maybe I’m overthinking it but I’d hate to be seen a someone who is just bashing for the sake of it.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Arrived. Hopefully I can pull a few hours of time this weekend to get these thrown in.

As Greg stated, top hat looks to have been revised.

Old design:

New design

Note: the top hat on the new shocks are about a 1/4 less thick than the previous set I received.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Maybe I’m missing something but wasn’t the bigger issue that there was nothing for the spring to sit in or prevent it from moving. I don’t see that the new design prevents that but maybe I’ll just not seeing it?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Maybe I’m missing something but wasn’t the bigger issue that there was nothing for the spring to sit in or prevent it from moving. I don’t see that the new design prevents that but maybe I’ll just not seeing it?
Same question, unless that's a notch holding the end of the spring in on the new top hats? It's hard to tell because the springs flat on the end.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Same question, unless that's a notch holding the end of the spring in on the new top hats? It's hard to tell because the springs flat on the end.
I opened the package today, but didn't have too much time to really mess with them. To me it looked like there was now a taper on the top hat that would prevent the spring (at least in theory) from contacting the shaft. I'll try and take some better pictures this weekend. I wonder if a taper that would stop the coil from rotating or moving laterally would be better.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Between a critically hospitalized doggo (she pulled through), family in town and needing to get ready for the work from home saga to finally end come Monday morning I have had a stressful week.

From what I can tell, the new top hat design has a taper that keeps the spring from moving laterally. There is no perch to stop it from spinning, but that doesn’t worry me as much (should it?).

I threw these in and after riding some crappy $100 (yes for both) Amazon shocks with a “2 inch leveling” spacer to get me around town these feel awesome again. I’ll post a more “long term” review as time progresses.

For sake of documentation, it also took about five weeks to get the original set as well the replacements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I came accross this post when I had a failure on the PRG coilovers as well. Mine was not as bad as the OP. The top cover of where yhe oil is spinned out. Luckily I did not loose the spring and the shaft did not break. I took my shock to Aldan American directly since it is under warranty. Did not want to wait for Greg to address this issue.

·
Well then...
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
I came accross this post when I had a failure on the PRG coilovers as well. Mine was not as bad as the OP. The top cover of where yhe oil is spinned out. Luckily I did not loose the spring and the shaft did not break. I took my shock to Aldan American directly since it is under warranty. Did not want to wait for Greg to address this issue. View attachment 134633 View attachment 134634
Wow... any idea how yours went?

It also looks like yours have the corrected top hat design.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts