Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
1,096 Posts
Happy to hear you had a positive experience with the PRG coilovers when it was all said and done.

When I ordered my Radflo's from Greg, they just had just released that product but I was hesitant to pull a trigger. I'm sure this review will help subsequent buyers have confidence.

I might have to head down to the garage to ensure I got the proper spring rate, I never did check!

·
TNX Veteran
4,547 Posts
For slow technical stuff, they do awesome as well. And now with the aftermarket UCA, no coil bucket contact. I did not grind anything away.
Be careful with that ball joint. Those SPC arms require grinding for the vast majority of X's that they are installed on. It doesn't look like your coilbucket was ground previously, so you may have gotten lucky with your alignment that it does not contact. However, as things get jostled, or perhaps at the time of your next alignment, you may find that it starts to get cut.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be careful with that ball joint. Those SPC arms require grinding for the vast majority of X's that they are installed on. It doesn't look like your coilbucket was ground previously, so you may have gotten lucky with your alignment that it does not contact. However, as things get jostled, or perhaps at the time of your next alignment, you may find that it starts to get cut.
Yes sir. I’ve kept a close eye even at full droop and flex, no contact. I’ve been keeping an eye though for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Glad to see someone else enjoying these coilovers. One of the dials on mine was a little loose. I snugged it up with a small flat head screwdriver. No problems since. I'm using 3 for daily driving and 5 for off roading. Which settings do you use?

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to see someone else enjoying these coilovers. One of the dials on mine was a little loose. I snugged it up with a small flat head screwdriver. No problems since. I'm using 3 for daily driving and 5 for off roading. Which settings do you use?
I just left them on 3, does it really make that much of a difference?

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update Feb 2021

I was on a gravel road today when suddenly I heard a thump and I thought I somehow blew a tire.

Turns out it was much worse. Not sure how exactly this happened. I’ve blown shocks and seen them go before too, but it’s always been the seals. This was maybe my fifth time out with this set up. I do use my truck, but I don’t abuse it. I run out of guts before truck every time.

It also took out the abs sensor on this side.

I’m going to give myself a cooling off period to try and figure out what happened. I’d hate to either say something I’ll regret or is at least in part untrue. Too much ugly in the world to add more. Stay safe my friends.

Pics of the x carnage:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I don't think you need take time to compose yourself, that's a catastrophic failure and you have the right to be mad. I've seen 5100s do something similar but not quite come apart like that. I suppose it would be difficult for Greg to test every single thing he sells and he probably relies on the quality control of the company that produces the strut, so I don't think he'd be the one to blame for the failure. However, hopefully he'll make this right and fix this for you. Additionally, he needs to get in touch with everyone who's purchased them and let them know about this, as well as pulling these from his website. The road you're on doesn't look too bad, the 5100 I saw blow up was on some extreme washboard. This is material failure and you can clearly see it is cheap cast metal, I'd expect the others he sold to do the same.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I'm going to DL these, if that's okay, and post them on Xterra Crew and the Frontier page on FB, as well as Reddit, if that's okay.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to DL these, if that's okay, and post them on Xterra Crew and the Frontier page on FB, as well as Reddit, if that's okay.
Send me links to those sites, I'd like to follow what others might have to say. You can PM if you'd like too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It’s hard to tell from the photos what the point of failure was... but it is catastrophic indeed.

Update us when you determine what exactly failed.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It’s hard to tell from the photos what the point of failure was... but it is catastrophic indeed.

Update us when you determine what exactly failed.
I need to get an emissions inspection done so I ordered a cheap set of assembled struts plus a spacer off Amazon tonight. That should let me limp around for a bit.

The weird thing is that I had noticed the X’s nose taking a dive in the driveway over the last few days but attributed it to being parked on a slope in an area of the driveway that it usually doesn’t sit. Now that I’m looking at it, the driver side is getting ready to go too but the passenger side ate the dust first.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took the tire off this morning to more thoroughly inspect and confirmed that all parts are intact, the only thing to take a major dump was the shock taking an ABS sensor along for the ride.

·
TNX Veteran
4,547 Posts
DAYUM!!! That's impressively terrible! Do you know how fast you were going when it happened, or if it happened when you hit a pothole or something?

Also I'm super curious... are you able to drive it around while it is riding on the bump stop like that or are there clearance issues somewhere? haha. Either way, that's rough. Coilovers experience mostly up & down forces. Can't imagine that it should sheer sideways so easily.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Send me links to those sites, I'd like to follow what others might have to say. You can PM if you'd like too.
My Tapatalk app is glitching out, so I wasn't able to download the pics and post them on FB. The Xterra page was talking about TheXterraCrew and the Frontier page is NISSAN FRONTIER CLUB. There is straight on shot of an Xterra as the group photo for X Crew and there's an updated Frontier as the banner photo for Frontier Club.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
DAYUM!!! That's impressively terrible! Do you know how fast you were going when it happened, or if it happened when you hit a pothole or something?

Also I'm super curious... are you able to drive it around while it is riding on the bump stop like that or are there clearance issues somewhere? haha. Either way, that's rough. Coilovers experience mostly up & down forces. Can't imagine that it should sheer sideways so easily.
Thankfully I hadn't gotten to the moderate rocky crawly section quite yet, still on a mostly graded gravel road. I was going maybe 10-15 miles an hour? I limped it back slowly but surely to the launching area for the side by sides and waited for a tow. It was a good time, thankfully I had friends there to make light of it.

·
Well then...
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I’m going to give myself a cooling off period to try and figure out what happened. I’d hate to either say something I’ll regret or is at least in part untrue. Too much ugly in the world to add more. Stay safe my friends.
I called Greg and let me him know what happened today. I referenced an e-mail that I composed and sent from the tow truck on Sunday night, but apparently it never left my phone (it makes sense as service was spotty in the area). I then actually sent them over to him.

He agreed that this should not have happened and pointed to a design issue with the top hat. He will be sending out a replacement set with the corrected top hat design as well an ABS sensor in good faith.

Once the new set arrives, I will provide an update as well as try to make sense of the corrected design.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts