Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLUF for those on a schedule: We bought the full OME front and rear light/medium duty suspension kit with Nitrocharger sport shocks (pre-assembled fronts)from NISSTEC for the Wife's '08 OFFROAD (68K miles at time of install). It transformed the ride and control of the vehicle, eliminated bottoming out (was a very common occurrence on the "rubbish" roads in this part of the UK), and recovered the X to a more square stance (it had been kinda @ss down, springs were sacked). I would recommend this product, and NISSTEC. In fact, I plan to get a full kit for my F-250 when I return to the States, and I recommend to anyone who has an Xterra, plans to keep it a while, and has any inkling that they don't like something about their suspension, or want a small lift for looks or mild tire upgrades...buy it sooner rather than later. Ok, anyone who wants the full meal deal, continue reading below...

The Problem: When we got to the UK about 20k miles and three years ago, we immediately noticed the X would bottom on the roads where there were whoops and bumps. Seriously, the Brits need to talk to some German or US civil engineers to find out how to build a road. The gravel roads back home, hell, even the dirt two-tracks, were generally significantly better than the paved roads I drive back and forth to base everyday. Also, one day about a year ago a guy with a 2012 PRO4X parked next to it at the BX, and we realized that the newer truck was significantly higher, especially in the back, and that our X had developed a significant rear dragging stance. Our use for the X generally has included about 75% grocery-getter and 25% off-roading, light towing (hey, I got a big truck for real towing), camping and hunting duties. Since we've been over here it has been more skewed toward on-road commuter duty. Well, it took a while to convince myself to buy a suspension for my Wife's X, since it only had about 66k miles on it at the time, but I finally did (It helped that I offered to buy her a new Diesel Grand Cherokee and she said she wanted to keep the X for a long time, she likes it). Then it took a while for me to get around to installing it since I have no real garage space here, had to use the abysmal auto hobby shop on base (which I was dreading), and have been working 60-70 hours in an average week. But it was worth it, I believe.

The product: OME full front and rear light duty (607 springs up front, no extra leaf on the rear), greasable shackles, pre-assembled fronts, Nitrocharger Sport shocks, cam-bolt kit, NISSTEC's anti-roll bar extensions instead of ARB's (didn't give me a choice on that). http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=58951&category_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

The Install: I started by hosing down all the bold and nuts every weekend for about a month before I did the install. Still, stuck bolts turned what should have been a one-day install into basically two. I got some help from one of my co-workers for the rear, which I did on a Saturday. As you would expect, the stone-ax simple rear suspension makes for a simple and easy (except for rusted fasteners) swap. It ended up taking me right at 7 hours for the rear with some cursing at stuck crap, using an impact when it would fit, and a big breaker bar and u-joint when needed. It didn't help that my helper didn't know a ratchet from a crescent wrench. On Sunday I came back and did the front, without help, in about 6 hours easy, with A LOT of cursing at stuck bolds. Warning, the only way I got the lower coil-over assembly bolts out was by borrowing a 3/4" impact and a HUGE breaker bar. With the help of the guy in the stall next to me, I checked to make sure the compressor was providing the max rated pressure of the old but high quality impact, and had him hold the trigger while I put everything I could into the breaker bar. After several minutes of trying I raised the lift a but where I could really get all my strength/leverage on it, and finally I could feel the bolt just budge with every hammer-hit. After about 90 seconds of this the nut finally, grudgingly and slowly, started to spin off. The bold and nut were too hot to touch after this, but undamaged. Same thing on the other side. Interestingly, during the subsequent alignment, only the toe-in was slightly off, camber and caster were right in spec. Note: For the $100 bucks or so that it cost to have NISSTEC pre-assemble the front coil-over spring and shock assembly with NEW hardware, isolators, and spring plates, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't let them handle that bit.

The result: After 1500 to 200 miles, here is our report. While not a miracle, the results were immediate and welcome. On a section of paved road that used to make it bottom out and nearly throw the truck out of control at 35 MPH, I can now drive at 55 to 60 and not bottom out while feeling totally in control. The ride is firm and sporty, without being harsh in my opinion. The vehicle feels more planted and seems to have better road feel. I used the included angle shims on the leaf springs, and we have noticed absolutely no vibration. Unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to do any real off-roading with it yet. The stance is more square, a little higher overall, and looks pretty nice, I think. I would say 33s of the 285/75R16 variety would fit without melt mod nicely now, but it doesn't look out of proportion with the stock size 32s (265/75/R16).

One note on supplier service: NISSTEC provided outstanding customer support throughout, I will be buying from them again in the future. The ordering process was painless, and a very nice sales rep contacted me immediately to ask a couple of questions, confirm that I wanted and needed what I ordered, and resolves some questions I had about shipping to an APO. When I received the kit it came without the rear anti-sway bar link extension, so I called them and they didn't ask questions or anything, just sent out the parts. Unfortunately, the relief holes were drilled slightly off and I had to do some slight clearancing to get the bolts in, but it worked. After getting them I think I might have been better off with the ARB parts rather than the NISSTEC milled AL jobs, as this was the only hiccup with the kit.

·
on line
51 Posts
Got my F/R set on order. 4-5 weeks for the rear springs though. Will be happy to get rid of the adjustable height (silver colored) Bilsteins on the front which had even less rebound damping than the stock O/R (yellow) shocks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad it was a useful review. We have a couple of months on it now. I don't drive the X every day, so every time I do I am impressed at how much more composed it is with the new suspension because I still remember the old handling.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I Just got my Full rear leaf pack w/ALL and their Med duty front springs about 6 months ago and they were sooo worth it. I can load down the X with anything. Handles great on the daily SoCal commute. Allows for more aggressive driving.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love my OME setup. I am for reliability and performance. Cannot beat OME. Mine is the HD full kits. Feels like a truck now. Almost as much as my Land Cruiser. Tough as nails. I run an ARB front bumper with a 12,000 lb. steel cable winch in the front. In the rear it's stock except for gear and a group 31 battery for the battery management system from National Luna. Their stuff is great by the way. Truck takes everything that I throw at it even loaded to the max! I am a believer in OME and ARB. Just quality. Period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts