Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with my recent roof rack purchase from NXrocks. Here is his original post on the rack he makes: link

I want to say up front that I was impressed with the welding quality and the quick fabrication. I would suggest his craftsmanship to anyone looking for skids or sliders which he sells. If you buy a rack, you may want to make sure his shipping method is changed since mine was damaged in transit (Info below).

Pics:

Double check your length of hi lift before ordering. Mine was to short but worked out in the end as now I do not have to deal with base plate rattle on the road.

I must point out that the rack is not flawless. Shipping did mess up the rack as I had to tack back on the busted light mount on the back of the rack and re-tap the hi-lift bolts. I also must point out that one side of the rack is noticeably bent. Seems as if the front right side is bent up. After mounting it the flaw become very obvious. I know it is just that corner because the rest of the mounts are flush. This imperfection does not really bother me for a couple of reasons.
1. The rack is sold when mounted. No rattle and no movement at all.
2. It is not easily seen when the hi-lift is on.
Pics of the left (straight) side:

and the right damaged side:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
So was the bent action due to shipping? Any way to take that up with the shipping company or too late for that? Still looks pretty damn good to me but pics hard to tell any issues on my blackberry.

My sliders I got from NXRocks were boxed up to perfection. They were indestructable they way he boxed them. Too good in fact. They were a bitch to unpackage :)

I'm thinking the shipping company dropped the or something.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
If it was shipped via UPS, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they mucked it up. I've seen the Brown Clowns do all kinds of crazy crap with shipments.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Apologize - I just saw the post.
I am aware of the problem since I spoke with silver_sancho about it. I can bring this to UPS if you wish - I just don't know if this would solve anything. When you say that the right side is bent ... isn't that maybe the C clamp is a bit "open" ? I did make all the clamps out of 1/4" and there are not easy to bend. Is the profile (1x1) bent?
Also - because of the curvature of the OEM bars - in order to install it you should apply pressure on top, in order to have the clamp seat perfectly to the 1x1 profile.
If is not a big deal - can you please take a pic of that area - where the clamp attaches to the profile specifically ?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
On the second thought - I see that the C clamp is not tight enough ( you can see this if you zoom in the picture) ... The C clamp and the 1x1 profile should touch - just like you did in the other 3 sides. If the C clamps are tight the rack should get the OEM bars curvature .... (make sure you dod it after you take the Hi-Lift off.

Just like this:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the second thought - I see that the C clamp is not tight enough ( you can see this if you zoom in the picture) ... The C clamp and the 1x1 profile should touch - just like you did in the other 3 sides. If the C clamps are tight the rack should get the OEM bars curvature .... (make sure you dod it after you take the Hi-Lift off.
Yes, I did not tighten the clamp all of the way for a couple of reasons.

1. I did not want to strip out the threads on the rack side.
2. I did not want to strip the allen bolt (looking at your pics it looks like you shipped mine with allen bolts instead of a regular hexagon bolts. This limits the amount of force I can use to hammer down the c-clamp vs stripping out the bolt.)

The actual 1x1 profile is bent and just on that side. In other words if I was to take the rack off, flip it over, and lay it on the ground, it would wobble. This is how I came to realize that it was the actual rack and not the c-clamps when I first installed.

I plan on using a c-clamp this weekend to push the rack down on the that side to see if I can get it flat. The only worry I have is that the force pushing up would eventually cause the allen bolts to fail and pop the clamp on that corner off.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Understand ... I can send you the hex version of the allen bolts - I did send this because are Stainless Steel and low profile - if you wish. Or you can enlarge the threaded part on the clamps put bigger screws and and put a lock nut under the clamps. The rack should flex to take the shape of the OEM bars on the roof.
The 2 cross suports who hold the Hi-lift rack are Gauge 11 - if UPS bent that part then they must of drop it from the plane and no amount of boxing would of help. The 1x2 part is Gauge 16 in order to keep the weight under control.
If you decide to take it off this weekend - please take a pic or two where is bent and send it to remy (at) nxrocks.com I would like to see it very much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are these racks still available for purchase? This and the Dephep rack are exactly what I'm looking for, but since I live in CO, it looks like this one would make the most sense to pursue so I can just do local pickup.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
You can start by PMing Nxrocks to ask Remy, although Remy "NxRocks" sold most or all of his business to Hefty Fabworks. So if Remy says no, I would recommend calling Chris at Hefty Fabworks and asking if the roof rack plans were part of the sale and if so ask if he'd make you one. He is also in CO.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
ducatidom
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing