61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

·
Registered
387 Posts
Installed. Wasn't too bad. Thankfully I don't live in the rust belt. I just jaced the truck up enough to work around the tire.
Only thing though. The "cup" didnt have a hole large enough for the center bolt so I didn't use them. Not sure if it will affect anything.
My driveway is a rutty mess. Timbrens helped noticeably. Glad I got them

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
The nice thing about installing these on the rear is that you have access to the nuts. I planned on the bolts breaking off in the nuts and then just used a BFH and a punch to break the crappy spot welds Nissan uses. Then I popped some nuts and washers on the bolts as they went through. Easy-peasy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Putting these on the rear is truly a novice install. Didn't need to jack up the truck or remove the wheels. Took about 10 minutes to do both sides. Had no corrosion at all on the bolts and once I broke them loose used my fingers to spin 'em out and then back in with the new bumpstops. Being in Cali is great for this stuff! We'll see how they do with a couple passengers and bikes hanging off the hitch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
they pop up here from time to time but I got my fronts on ebay for 50% off brand new. they fit several different model vehicles, I just looked up the correct part number on tims website then found the correct part number on ebay they were listed for a ford ranger so just be mindful of that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
thanks, the part number looks pretty universal, so i was able to find it on amazon for a decent price and free shipping. arrived today and looks good.

-SM-

·
Registered
159 Posts
I installed my new Timbren rear bumpstops over the holiday weekend. Both factory bolts on the passenger side came out easy. Both factory bolts on the driver side immediately sheared off with the same pressure used on the passenger side...

After drilling those out and getting the new bump stops on, when I lowered the frame, both bump stops have about a 1/2 inch gap to the axle on level ground. All good there.

They both sit just a little bit to the inside. Instead of being directly centered between the two U bolts, they hug the inside by a 1/4 inch maybe. I know the mounting plate is slightly off center and flipping it the other way had the bump stops way off center, so I'm good with this.

What concerned me was that they both look like they sit forward of the rear axle (too far towards the front of the vehicle) by a good amount. I know the mounting hardware had slots for fore and aft adjustments, and thought I had aligned them pretty well, but that was when the frame was jacked up. Once lowered and driven a few days, I wish I would have adjusted them all the way to the rear. I feel like they are sitting about a 1/2 inch too far forward (the driver's side is further off than the passenger).

Any opinions on if it is worth it to loosen up the mounting bolts and pull them backwards and as far outside as possible, or just leave them now that they are on? I'm on the fence.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I installed my new Timbren rear bumpstops over the holiday weekend. Both factory bolts on the passenger side came out easy. Both factory bolts on the driver side immediately sheared off with the same pressure used on the passenger side...

After drilling those out and getting the new bump stops on, when I lowered the frame, both bump stops have about a 1/2 inch gap to the axle on level ground. All good there.

They both sit just a little bit to the inside. Instead of being directly centered between the two U bolts, they hug the inside by a 1/4 inch maybe. I know the mounting plate is slightly off center and flipping it the other way had the bump stops way off center, so I'm good with this.

What concerned me was that they both look like they sit forward of the rear axle (too far towards the front of the vehicle) by a good amount. I know the mounting hardware had slots for fore and aft adjustments, and thought I had aligned them pretty well, but that was when the frame was jacked up. Once lowered and driven a few days, I wish I would have adjusted them all the way to the rear. I feel like they are sitting about a 1/2 inch too far forward (the driver's side is further off than the passenger).

Any opinions on if it is worth it to loosen up the mounting bolts and pull them backwards and as far outside as possible, or just leave them now that they are on? I'm on the fence.
IMO you'd need to drive somewhere you can flex them so you can see where they actually land. Another option is just wait a month or so, eventually you'll see a little rub on the axle where they hit.

·
Registered
947 Posts
(Edit: I am incorrect on what I said about the below link, sorry)
FYI Warning:
Did some research on the Timbren site on the above link to Amazon.

The link goes to the Timbren JRC01 that is the # of the older SAS Timbrens
The newer ones that Maxterra is talking about are the ABSJRC01's
"ABS" in the first part of the stock # is the difference between the two.
They are not sold on Amazon.

I still can't find them "ABSJRC01" on any site, including the authorized online dealers from the Timbren site. Doesn't look like you can order them directly from
Timbren.

Maxterra, any idea where I can get these?
Looks like that ABSJRC01 is now on Amazon. These are the "newer" version, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 103 Posts