Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Timbren “Active Offroad Bumpstops” for the Xterra (and Frontier I would assume).

Full disclosure, I’m not paid to advertise for Timbren, but I was involved in early product testing of these units, and I did receive my front & rear sets at no charge. I’m so impressed at the improvement over the SES units, I’d like to share my experience with you.

These are NOT the current SES (suspension enhancement system) models we’ve been using in the past for our rigs. Those are primarily to add suspension load carrying capacity and soften the hard bottoming out the Xterra’s typical anemic rear suspension, and BTW was one of the best upgrades you can do to a stock xterra rear suspension, IMO.

These new ones are designed just for improving the ride near and at full compression as a bumpstop, and I’m glad to report they do that very very well!

Rear bumpstops:
Rear units are slightly smaller dia and thinner than the SES models (new model on the left).

I took both and put in my arbor press to compress & feel the difference of each, and the newer model is softer and does compress considerably further under the same load.

I ran the older SES models for a while, and they were a huge improvement over the stock rubber covered pieces of steel that offered no cushion at all. On a hard bottom-out situation, they did have a short and progressive compression and fairly harsh rebound.
When I installed the new ones, immediately noticed a feeling of a longer softer compression and dampening, and no noticeable “bottom-out”, and the rebound is very smooth and not the “bouncy ball” feeling at all.

Even airborne over bumps and holes, it’s just cushy now. The wife noticed it immediately after install on a harsh trail we’d just been on recently.

Fronts:
I have not ran any rubber bumpstop in the original location since I did the titan swap. I instead installed Radflo 2"x2” hydraulic bumpstops from the start and have been quite pleased with those, BUT, on a few occasions on really extreme compressions, I’ve felt & heard the LCA to bumpstop mount contact.

I really had my doubts about adding the new front bumpstops with my existing setup, but looking at them and the hollow design, I felt like compression travel wouldn’t be reduced much at all, so give it a try and see what happens.
Just had to drill out the factory mount hole in the LCA to 13/32” I think it was, and installed with one bolt.

Very happy to say, again, much like the rear, you just don’t feel the bottom out point and it smoothed out the compressed travel even more!
Big ruts, bumps, holes, and the occasional airborne launch are pretty much effortless now and no Thud!

Highly recommended finishing touch upgrade you’ll love, not just on a titan swap, but it’s made to work on the stocker setup, so anything in between will benefit from this.

The part#’s for the Xterra are ABSNXF (front kit) and ABSJRCO1 (rear).

I’m Dave, aka Maxterra, (maxgear_armor on IG) and I approve of this message.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're great people to deal with, and they making a big push on the new bumpstop line for a lot of vehicles.
I'm still planning on the going with their axle-less independent trailer suspension on my Off road trailer build someday.
Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - Timbren Ind.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Had these on my wish list for some time.

I bought my truck with a aftermarket bumpstops. based on pics I found I think they are Firestone Ride-Rites. Do not like them. Would be great for towing as they barely compress but make for a very rough ride. ~300lbs back on the hitch and it might compress less than 1". There has been times the back bounced up while braking enough for the tires to make the "skid" sound that only big tires can do.

I have lots of mods planned but think these may be next on list. would be nice to have a DD that rides better.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the texting is done, and they're in production now
Yes, the Jrc01's are going on Robs rig.
The off road versions would still be beneficial for stock or max load capacity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just gave this a quick read at work so excuse me if I missed something, but...

It looks like a lot of you are running fairly moddified vehicles. I kinda figured that AAL's or custom leaf springs would resolve the bottoming issue by themselves. Are you guys still having harsh bottoming issues with your AAL's and custom leafs?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just gave this a quick read at work so excuse me if I missed something, but...

It looks like a lot of you are running fairly moddified vehicles. I kinda figured that AAL's or custom leaf springs would resolve the bottoming issue by themselves. Are you guys still having harsh bottoming issues with your AAL's and custom leafs?
My X bottomed out when i first bought it. Added a superior Automotive leaf assist and timbren bumpstops problem solved.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Most setups will still bottom out when subjected to really intense off-road situations (dropping off rock ledges etc) If the leaf springs were stiff enough to absorb even those impacts, they'd ride way too stiff everywhere else.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Zball. That makes sense.

So it sounds like I could buy these to help the harsh bottoming issues with my stock suspension, and they could still be helpful if I decided to lift later on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
(Edit: I am incorrect on what I said about the below link, sorry)
FYI Warning:
Did some research on the Timbren site on the above link to Amazon.

The link goes to the Timbren JRC01 that is the # of the older SAS Timbrens
The newer ones that Maxterra is talking about are the ABSJRC01's
"ABS" in the first part of the stock # is the difference between the two.
They are not sold on Amazon.

I still can't find them "ABSJRC01" on any site, including the authorized online dealers from the Timbren site. Doesn't look like you can order them directly from
Timbren.

Maxterra, any idea where I can get these?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts