Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if this configuration is part of Maxterra's regular production line yet but I finally got around to installing my bumper this past week. What I think is different about this model is that it has a carrier for two Nato style 5 gallon gas containers. The containers in the photo are military spec plastic made by Scepter here in Canada. They may be plastic but they're pretty tough.
http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/
The containers fit in the carrier like a glove. Dave of Maxterra built this one so that the carrier is removable at my request.

Overall, installation was straight forward. Removing the old bumper required a 1/2" drive breaker bar and an enhanced vocabulary. A couple holes needed to be enlarged and I would have preferred metric hardware which would be more in keeping with the rest of the vehicle. The welding is a thing of beauty. All in, this was well worth the time, effort, and of course the money. And I really appreciated Dave's quick response throughout the decision to purchase, purchase, and installation process.

While you can only see the gas carrier mounting bolts on the vertical surface, there are also 3 or 4 along the top. It is well and truly bolted on. I also used blue Loctite along with the lock washers.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
Looks great!!!

If you have more photos from other angles and close up, I would sure like to see them. I have Dave's brochure on my desk, but can't seem to make up my mind about how to configure my bumper and rack.

I'm particularly interested in a side shot showing the distance of the spare from the rear hatch, and how the can carrier attaches/detaches. Also, a shot of the tire carrier opened at 90 degrees and the dimension from the bumper face to the end of the extended carrier when opened 90 degrees. (I tow an offroad trailer, and have concerns with being able to open the carrier and hatch with the trailer hitched, which is the primary reason I haven't ordered a bumper already.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert, with the bumper opened to 90 degrees, I measured from the keyhole on the tailgate to the far end of the spare tire ( the farthest point out ) and the distance is 57 inches. You need to open the bumper just a bit past 90 degrees to open the hatch.

More photo to follow posted above.

David

·
on line
1,135 Posts
Very nice, I like the hinge, it looks well built and the added gusset, thats just good craftsmanship, the detail on the box is very cool, I pick this stuff apart and try to only post on good quality work and from the pictures they hit it on this. Great work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That looks awesome!! Link to the bumper for sale?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
306 Posts
I like it too. I also tow and wonder about opening the hatch with trailer attached. It would be cool, but perhaps more work to split the bar so that each half swings out, and meet in the middle. Each would be half as long. With the gas carrier removed for normal DD, only the tire side would need to be opened to open the hatch. And it would surely be short enough to open with a trailer on.

Thought?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am curious with tire mount, do you get a lot of rattling or noise when you are off of pavement, but at decent speed? Does it rattle or thump with speed bumps etc, like some of the bike carries (sorry my only thing I can compare to)?

Looks Righteous....and I am in the market, so trying to decide which one to go with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am curious with tire mount, do you get a lot of rattling or noise when you are off of pavement, but at decent speed? Does it rattle or thump with speed bumps etc, like some of the bike carries (sorry my only thing I can compare to)?

Looks Righteous....and I am in the market, so trying to decide which one to go with.

Thanks!
We just got home from a 9,900 Km trip up north of the Arctic Circle. Probably about 2,000 of unpaved roads and not a peep from the bumper assembly.

See the August 2013 trip.
http://ldrider.ca/trip-logs/trip-logs.htm

·
Banned
1,279 Posts

Thanks!
if you look at the latch area, he builds them so the swingout arm is surrounded on top and bottom with delrin pads so the arm doesnt really have anywhere to go. the latch is very secure as well. ive had a maxterra bumper for about a year now and very happy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts