Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had recently purchased and put on my 2010 Off Road, a Detours Off Road, Knucklebone Tire Carrier. I took some photos of the item in detail. I thought I would offer my opinion of it usefulness vs a full rear bumper and tire carrier.

I have a two inch BL, three inch SL, with 35 inch AT tires with a Hidden Hitch as well. The height of the front fender in 41 inches, and the rear 41.5 inches.

Let me start of by saying Mark, the owner of Detours Off Road is awesome. He is respectable, courteous, extremely customer service oriented. He will take the time to speak to you at length, discuss off-roading and his products freely. I had send him a few emails for status updates and all were answered within 24 hours and that included a holiday weekend. He answers his phone or returns call immediately. He gave me three week lead time for manufacture and delivery. He did hint very strongly the three weeks was the minimum and to expect longer. My delivery time was 5 weeks from date of order. He does primarily cater to Jeep XJ Cherokee customers as his business base. He will do other work if requested as my tire carrier.

He asked me to take very specific measurements from a number of different areas to ensure proper fitment and to minimize breaking the rear window if contacted from the rear by another vehicle. My piece was custom made for me.
It arrived well packaged also.

[/URL][/IMG]

The product is for a two inch receiver. It has special system that splits the section that goes into the hitch. It has an allen screw in that area that allows to adjust and remove slack from the mount in the hitch receiver, which minimizes movement. I neglected to take a photo of that but have these.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

This peice is provided by Mark for adjusting this area.

[/URL][/IMG]

The feature of the Tire Carrier is that it allows you to drop tire at a 40-45 degree angle to allow access to the rear of the vehicle. It has a fairly sturdy locking and pin system to do this.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

The tire is mounted to slide unit which attaches to the top of the tire carrier.

[/URL][/IMG]

This picture shows the clearance for the rear door to open.

[/URL][/IMG]

My assessment is that its a good product. There is some greater tire sway in my unit, which I believe is attributable to the fact I carrying a 35 inch tire, and have a longer stem from hitch to the top where the tire is secured. The sway is no more than an inch from side to side, front to back. To minimize this sway I decided to use to two ratchet straps. This is probably over kill but it makes me feel better. I don't have a great to access the back via the rear gate all that much, nothing that I can't access from the side door. This is just for my particular situation.

Note: I do not take this truck off road for more than a few dirt trails in the Pocono Mountains a few times of year, so departure angle is not a concern. Nor do I care that I have a 5 inch lift and don't take it off road.

Product Cons - it comes unpainted, but is primed. You will have to take a drill and widen some of the holes lining up the hitch pin and possibly the area to access the anti sway bolt (that's my term for it). It does take a while to figure out the best way to put it on with the tire, as there were no instructions. (I may not be as bright as others on this forum.) And finally, it does sway a bit more than I expected, but not a huge deal for me.

Product Pros - it comes unpainted, I can paint it any color I want (yes that was also a con, cause I'm lazy in the winter.) It is easily adjusted to suit your needs to tighten the drop hinge and its locking mechanism. Its custom made for me and to meet my specific needs and wants. Price $235 plus shipping, mine was 23 dollars to ship. Excellent customer service, custom available product.

Finally, it meets my needs for a tire carrier without having to pay 700-1000 dollars for bumper and carrier combination. I have better things to spend that much money on. I hope this gives you some ideas for rear bumper alternatives.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seems like a cool alternative to a full new bumper. I think an easier solution to the sway would be a knob like on Kuat bike racks. 2 45lb downhill bikes on fire roads and the rack doesn't budge. Not knocking the rack at all, but since you said it was custom I'm sure this could be incorporated easily.

It's just a cam that wedges into your reciever with a knob on the end.

http://kuatracks.shptron.com/p/nv-2-ball-cam/parts-and-accessories_nv?pp=12

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Note: I do not take this truck off road for more than a few dirt trails in the Pocono Mountains a few times of year, so departure angle is not a concern. Nor do I care that I have a 5 inch lift and don't take it off road.
so you don't off road.
but you have spent money on a SL and BL and have purchased 35 inch tires.
and now you have sucked up your trailer hitch for use as a tire carrier.
you dont wanna spend money on a real rear bumper that offers a hitch , a tire carrier and god knows how many other extras.

you departure angle now is less than if you had a real tire carrier bumper( I know you dont care but others may)

Finally, it meets my needs for a tire carrier without having to pay 700-1000 dollars for bumper and carrier combination. I have better things to spend that much money on. I hope this gives you some ideas for rear bumper alternatives.
of course you have better things to spend your money on.
Like the BL and SL you will not use or the 35 inch tires.

I question your judgement

All of it.

oh.... the tire carrier looks fine and there are plenty of people who may find a use for it.

but your reasoning is unconvincing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so you don't off road.
you dont wanna spend money on a real rear bumper that offers a hitch , a tire carrier and god knows how many other extras.

you departure angle now is less than if you had a real tire carrier bumper( I know you dont care but others may)

All of it.

oh.... the tire carrier looks fine and there are plenty of people who may find a use for it.

I offered a response but replying is just not worth it....

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I'm really looking into this option but would get the one that either goes to the side or goes all the way down. I honestly do not off road enough to justify spending the money on a full blown rear bumper/carrier (even though I would really love to). I really would love to move the hitch up into where the tag is and then get this style carrier but the one that drops to the side. Similar to the first gen's "hitch flip" option. I've got rear recovery points already.

For me, its the price that makes me want it, lets me get the tire out from under the truck and looks better. Does it look as good as the full fledge bumper/carriers? No. but I think its a nice cheaper option for people would can't quite afford the $600-$1000 price tag of a full replacement bumper.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The latch that is used to hold the support arm upright is the same latch a buddy of mine and I are installing on a tire carrier we're making for his military trailer. I can't remember the name, but it seems like a sturdy unit.

·
on line
7,141 Posts
so you don't off road.

All of it.

Says the dude with the fancy wiener wagon trailer. You bringing the food cart to Moab in 15'? I wanna see this thing in use.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks solid. yeah there is a much better benefit of going with a full bumper but there are those who want to be slight different. Im liking it, just wondering how it looks directly from the back.. OP pic? :)

·
TNX Veteran
4,179 Posts
My question with this and all the other hitch mounted tire carriers is this:

Why in the world would you want the tire to swing down and still be right in the middle of the back hatch area? It makes getting into the hatch damn near a useless exercise. If you want your tire somewhere other than under the truck at least put it somewhere that's not just completely in the way all the time.

Trailer hitch tire carriers = :tard: IMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts