Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Review: Injen Powerflow Install

10K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  x10 
#1 · (Edited)
Injen Powerflow Review

Bought from http://www.ultimatetruck.com

Price: $357.20 and free shipping. AND a $20 off coupon on top of that. So I paid about $337.20 to my door.

Was drop shipped from Injen direct. (So I ordered out of state to save tax, then it still ships from CA anyway) No tracking number was given, although it arrived in 4 days, pretty good.

First picture, all the stock intake parts disassembled. This was about 10 mins work. One of the 3 stock airbox bolts is a tough reach, but a simple 10mm wrench can get it done, just takes some time.

after removing all the packing, I put all the parts back in the box for viewing:

One money shot of it installed, then I'll go into some detail:

(First off, move you MAF sensor/AIR sensor to your new Injen tube.)

From left to right... First you have the 3" hose coupler which attaches to your throttle body. It was a perfect fit, and did not need any stretching. The clamps are mid range, not cheap. They are very thick metal and very strong.

The middle is where some fitment issues came in. Maybe because this is a Pathfinder unit. The problem I encountered was the crankcase hose you see, coming into my Injen box. It just wasnt a straight fit, so the hose went under the engine cover a bit as you can see. after looking at the hard to read install document, the Pathfinder picture might have looked the same way, but its hard to tell.

Here is another view of the injen box. This is an integral part of the new MR tuned intake design. Before they added this, there was a loss of torque on the dyno. after, it shows gains in both hp and tq. Look very closely and see that bolt that is very close to the crankcase hose. I had a few mm space, but I removed that bolt just in case. It wasnt doing anything.

Moving to the airbox, the best piece. The 4" hose coupler was a perfect fit, and clamps were perfect also.

This bothered me a little bit, but I admit it feels pretty stable once installed. There is only ONE bolt holding the airbox, aside from the tube and clamps. the kit comes with a rubber isolation bushing which you can see under the bolt. This will stop vibrations from harming anything.

Straight shot of the box:

Finally, you do have an option of rigging some cold air source if you wanted. Injen might even sell a kit. The filter intake could have a hose added if desired:

And your hose might go into this fender hole like the stock one did:

I have not driven it yet, that will come later.

See less See more
#6 ·
ya.... im gonna be taking it out.. prob sell it local. dood, i never had an intake this deafening, and ive had a LOT of intakes in my day. I'm taking it out today, so i will get you a lot of pictures of the filter design. It is cleanable, you have to take the box apart. Its a huge cone with a mini velocity cone in the intake hole for better air tracking.

really sucks, cuz i wanted to like it. i tried on many drives. but every time, as soon as it got to 3800rpm transition, it becomes deafening.

this page shows a lot more details of the filter

http://www.injen.com/docs/other/powerflow.asp

#7 ·
Read the link. Everything sounds good about this intake but the sound. Funny how the web page talked about, "High Tempeture (sic) Composite enclosure fitted with pre-Filter Screens, allowing for air control, large debris filtration, air stability and a reduction of engine acoustice (sic) utilizing the sound dampening velocity stack." From the description, it seems like they are implying that it is relatively quiet. So what's next: K&N FIPK, Volant, Nismo?

#9 ·
I'm sorry that didn't work out for you. I imagine some folks are perfectly happy with the unit. The fact that you're not and admit it is awfully big of you. I wish more people would do this. Occasionally, we're too adamant about defending our choices even when we know they're wrong.

You've just saved a lot of guys that are/were sitting on the fence with this product a lot of time and money.

#10 ·
well.. people that know me on other car forums know that I change my mind quite often, and remove at least half the mods I install after a few days. I really only like the huge gain mods, like a chip on a turbo car. Also, I should have realized this truck stock is louder and noiser than my last 3-4 cars. I should have known that any intake/exhaust mods would put it over the line.

i suppose ill always work like this. cuz have the fun is waiting for it and then installing it. if you dont mod.. what are you gonna do..

#11 ·
burnout said:
well.. people that know me on other car forums know that I change my mind quite often, and remove at least half the mods I install after a few days. I really only like the huge gain mods, like a chip on a turbo car. Also, I should have realized this truck stock is louder and noiser than my last 3-4 cars. I should have known that any intake/exhaust mods would put it over the line.

i suppose ill always work like this. cuz have the fun is waiting for it and then installing it. if you dont mod.. what are you gonna do..
God bless you for being the guinea pig that saves people like me a bundle. I've been the guy spending and wrenching before, but there are many times I have helped people spend their money only to learn from their builds (while I did the labor etc) and/or to keep an ear out to see what works.

Yeah, now that you mention it, the stock X is pretty loud under load at wide open throttle.

#12 ·
Dam, Honesty, I thought that was no longer around. Nice write up, Nice pictures, Sorry it did not work. However, before you yank it, Try to isolate it with a seal from the engine compartment using cut up plastic truck mud flap and rubber seals. And 1st I'd try getting the intake out the same hole the factory one draws through, also sealing it. I found something that would work in plumbing dept. Shown in the Snork thread. Kinda like this.

If you like the performance, don't bail, work on the noise and you may have a MOD named after you. If you want to work on it and need help, PM me.
Never give up, Name, rank, serial number. MC

#13 ·
ahh i didnt notice any performance either in all honesty, thats why i took it out. very very slight if anything. i had a couple lowball offers, but im not taking them at this point.

#16 ·
I wish there was a way to give two thumbs up and a beer for that dedication for keeping info relevant and useful.

#22 ·
Does anyone else notice that not only does this have an enclosed box for filter but also includes a resonance chamber connected tot he main tube like the stock intake.

These chambers are usually designed to keep noise down and depending on who you ask, may offer a scavenging effect and/or air reserve to help more air.

I'm thinking that if this is loud injen attached the resonance chamber for airflow performance and because theye didn't compromise it for sound the chamber it amplifying instead of reducing sound like a bandpass bass or bose speaker box

I think the optimal intake design is the best most direct coldest airflow into the combustion chamber but it's funny how the design of these after market companies has progressed with marketing, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.