Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL, Actually this x is my second one. They are very good for what I get into. I would like to increase the MPG - not at the cost of longevity. Also, it would be fun to have a little more power with the larget tires. Those are all nice-to-have's, not requirements.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
LOL, Actually this x is my second one. They are very good for what I get into. I would like to increase the MPG - not at the cost of longevity. Also, it would be fun to have a little more power with the larget tires. Those are all nice-to-have's, not requirements.
My real world experience with a BD using the premium tune, 87 in the tank, WOT restriction removed and a stock X is an increase of 3/4 to 1 mpg. I don't think the power increase is very noticeable but I'll take every little bit that comes with it. I have a stick so I can't comment on what it would do for an auto. I have no experience with Hypertech.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,437 Posts
I have a BD, 6mt on 35's.

Initially I did the regular gas tune with removal of the throttle restriction and performance throttle setting. It was ok, but I saw a decrease in mpg like you would expect. I tried advancing the timing but it didn't help that much. I also tried advancing the timing in the stock mode with premium gas but it wasn't really noticeable. The stock setting with the throttle restriction and performance throttle settings was pretty similar to the regular gas tune.

Last spring I switched to the premium gas tune again with performance throttle and throttle restriction removed. The premium gas tune is pretty good giving a small bump to mpg (1-2 in city, 2-3 on hwy) but it really opens up the throttle past 2k rpm. I wasn't able to increase the timing with the premium tune without the knock sensors kicking in and restricting throttle however.

So to sum up, the only tune that made a difference was the premium fuel one. It gave a small bump to mpg in the city and a more noticeable bump on hwy (longer stretches). I currently with this tune (as modified as my Xterra is) get 14-15 mpg city, 15-17mpg hwy. I tried going back to the stock tune and it was terrible, the premium tune is worth the extra fuel cost.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
28 Participants
PhullD
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing