Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As promised I'm doing a review of the Hypertech Max Energy programmer for our 2nd gen Xterra's. I owned a Superchips Cortex in the past so I can compare the two.

Out of the box the tuner is low-frills. The Cortex is a "prettier" unit with a bigger screen but I'm not paying for a pretty programmer, I only care about the performace it'll offer. It comes with a USB cable, tuner, tuner cable to connect to your Xterra, sticker, and some paperwork.

I installed the tuner updating software and it was pretty low frills as well. I remember the Superchips program to be more visually pleasing and interactive. Once the tuner was updated took it out to the truck and got started.

This tuner installs 50% quicker than the Superchips. It ask some simple Yes or no questions... "Do you want to program 87 regular, 93 Premium, or stock? press up or down arrows then press Y" It asked about the WOT restricter, I removed that, Rev limiter, kept it stock, and the top speed limiter, kept is stock as well. Anyway its asked me to press Y to install program. It copied my stock programming and installed the new. The whole process took like 6 minutes. The Cortex use to take like 10 minutes.

First impressions is that the truck gets up to speed quicker. Probably a mix of the WOT restrictor being removed and the increase in horsepower and torque. I didn't give it the beans yet but my butt dyno is telling me there is more there than before.

I also noticed my idle was a bit smoother too. These trucks idle kinda rough sometimes and I got less of it. My first outing was about a 20 mile round trip. I topped off with gas while I was out and I want to log my fuel mileage with this tuner. I do remember my Cortex giving me better MPG's with the 91 tune. I'm hoping I'll experience some better mileage with this tuner as well.

Another thing to add, there is no tow tune with this tuner. You can tow with the regular 87 tune. I love that over the Cortex. I don't think I should have to fill up with 93 just to tow something.

I'm update after driving with the 87 tune more. I'll also update my fuel mileage as well.

Link to the Hypertech website for the Xterra http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cannot speak to any other tuner, but, after one year with the HyperTech I'm still very satisfied. I pull a 3200# trailer easily. The removal of the WOT restriction gives the "X" serious 0 - 60 acceleration.

Mileage is never worse than 18 mpg and up to 27 mpg at 55 mph on the highway.

I consider this one of my better investments.

I do think my "X" is an anomaly where mileage is concerned. I have a very flat drive in my daily commute. I get this kind of mileage by slowly getting up to speed from a stop and traveling around 55 mph on the freeway. The mileage at 65 mph is closer to 20 mpg.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. My city mileage is crap because of the short commute to work and my 32" E-load tires. I drive a mile to work and have to pass through 5 stop lights. I end up stopping at least 2 of them.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Drove around some more tonight and Yep, definitely more get up and go. She hauls ass now!

I'll try and make a video sometime soon

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Hey thanks for the review. How much do these go for (if you dont mind me asking?)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am unfamiliar with these things. Must they always be connected to your vehicle or do you program and then disconnect?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am unfamiliar with these things. Must they always be connected to your vehicle or do you program and then disconnect?
Not the hypertech tuner or the superchips. I think the bullydog tuner must stay connected. I could be wrong on the BD though.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
For bully dog if you want to see live monitor on your truck while your driving you leave it plugged in if not then you can leave it unplugged after you tuned it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For bully dog if you want to see live monitor on your truck while your driving you leave it plugged in if not then you can leave it unplugged after you tuned it.
What's he said

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks. Hmmmm. very interesting these things are. If they give you even 1 MPG more they will pay for themselves over time. I have to seriously consider one of these.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So MTBXterra or others with the Hypertech have you been getting better MPG's? I have a lot of weight on my X and am down to 12mpg are you getting 2-5mpg better with Hypertech?
It's been hard to drive "normal" with the tuner newly installed. The power is definitely better and the X is more spirited when the go petal is applied. I'll try to get some solid MPG numbers soon. I've also been experimenting with 89 octane gas with the 87 performance tune. I did this with the superchips tuner and I experienced better mileage and power with the slightly higher octane.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had one for the past 1500 mi. With 90% freeway driving, I've averaged 19mpg with A/C off and 18mpg with it on, that's going between 65 &70 mph.

I can definitly feel a power boost, and the 0-60 restriction delete is nice.

Hypertech's dyno chart shows 16hp and 18tq boost with 87 octane gas and 18hp and 20tq with 93 octane, not worth it for the premium I think. I use 89 octane in mine also.

What I'm disappointed in is you can't correct for different tire sizes and gear changes, or shift firmness. I've had a Hypertech in a couple of S-10s and those options were there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So MTBXterra or others with the Hypertech have you been getting better MPG's? I have a lot of weight on my X and am down to 12mpg are you getting 2-5mpg better with Hypertech?
I installed my Hypertech with only 300 miles on the X. I have no idea whether the mpg improved because of the mod. I have a stock X except for the mod. I do not carry any extra weight on the car itself, but pull an "A" frame travel trailer and see only about 1 mpg difference when towing. Please understand I live in Ohio, so the towing is on flat highways.

I personally wouldn't invest $300 just for possible improved gas mileage. However, the mod adds HP and Torque which might benefit you for the added weight.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Dave

1 - 20 of 64 Posts