Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Firstly I would like to say this is more of a general review of a company then a specific review about a singular part. (Hope this is okay with the admin)

So I recently went to Weedville, PA to pick up my Hardcore Offroad LLC front bumper with pre-runner hoop and rear bumper without swing arm tire carrier. Yes it was a far drive from Suffolk County, Long Island but I had my brother and good friend with me to make the long drive a bit easier and no, I didn't hit any traffic suprisingly enough lol.

Anyway the decision to go with Hardcore Offroad as opposed to Schrockworks or Heftyfab or Calmini, etc. was based on a few things. Their semi-locality to me made it fairly easy, as well as the turn around time to have the parts in my possession. From the first time I contacted Hardcore Offroad, I was immediately blown away by the customer service. Cory and his brother (his brother's name escapes me at the moment) were very friendly and patient with me and my trillions of questions (let's be clear, trillions is definitely an exaggeration, but I did have a lot), in fact we exchanged over 20 emails before I even made a decision.

I decided that the quality of the bumper was similar to Schrock and Hefty based on the similar mounting points and the thickness of the steel was the same (3/16"). Now some of you may base it on other things, and I'll be honest I didn't do as much research as I could have or should have, and if you have owned either of the bumpers then feel free to post up and disagree with me. (I have a tough skin, I can take a flaming).

The prices of the front and rear bumper with a rad skid (that's right, they even threw in a rad skid for me) now I'm not sure if everyone's front bumper came with a rad skid but mine did and it looks great! Anyway the total came to $1060 and of course 2 tanks of gas, tolls, snacks and lunch which were less than $150. Now mind you I ordered everything in bare steel, however everything still looks great. The welds are clean, and my only complaint is that the hoop wasn't mandrel bent so it tends to be a bit skinnier in the bent areas, however I'm not sure it will make much of a difference because it the hoop itself doesn't stick out past the actual bumper. Only time will tell if it truly is durable.

When I arrived at the shop, I was greeted by Cory, paid the remainder of my bill and talked for a bit. Real down to earth guys. Their shop is sick, outside they had quite a few built rigs, and inside a few projects that were torn down to bare frame and chassis. I didn't have much time to sit down and chat about everything, although I wanted to, I had to get back on the road to make the 5 hour trip home.

Anyway about an hour into my journey back home with 3 people including myself, front and rear bumper, skid plate and mounting hardware all packed into the X (yeah it all fit, don't ask me how) I realized I had forgotten to ask for some stickers and business cards.

I emailed Cory yesterday and he responded that he was going to ship me a windshield banner and 2 smaller stickers as well as a few of their older business cards bc they had run out of their newer ones. I do plan on the X wearing those stickers proudly.

I will have to say that I started coating the bumpers last Sunday in Duplicolor bedliner and plan to finish them this weekend. The rear bumper and skid plate should be on in time for the April Fools run, however the front bumper will have to wait until I can afford some HD suspension.

I will follow this thread up with pictures once, I have installed everything.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some pics that I found, that I had forgot Cory sent me before I picked them up, sorry no pics of the skid plate and you can't tell from the pics but there is a winch plate mounted to the front bumper already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those look really slick. Any idea as to the approximate weight differential going from the stock to aftermarket bumpers? I'm always curious to see how much of a difference there is. It looks like the rear bumper might be a near even exchange, however it's difficult to tell with the front. I would think that there is a weight increase...however, it is nice to be able to remove the plastic BS in the front bumper and replace it with something significantly more substantial and bad arse.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
They definitely need to update their website with what they offer and what not. They don't have a whole lot of info on there. You can't beat their prices thought, for front/rear bumpers cost as much as a front bumper from shrock.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I would put it over the word "hardcore".

I like these bumpers and they are a great price. Not a fan of their radiator skid though. I wonder if they would work with hefty's radiator skid?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would put it over the word "hardcore".

I like these bumpers and they are a great price. Not a fan of their radiator skid though. I wonder if they would work with hefty's radiator skid?

What's not to be a fan of? (Not being a troll here) I'm curious as I may or may not pull the trigger..

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Every other aftermarket radiator skid that I know of mounts to the frame where the recovery hook is and to the crossmember between the lca's (where the stock skid bolts to). Theirs only bolts to the cross member (from looking at pics). Because of this, I think it will bet bashed up&in much easier than other aftermarket skids. It is super annoying to have your skid smashed against your sway bar. Been there, done that (stock skid). That's why I'm not a fan - may or may not be justified :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Every other aftermarket radiator skid that I know of mounts to the frame where the recovery hook is and to the crossmember between the lca's (where the stock skid bolts to). Theirs only bolts to the cross member (from looking at pics). Because of this, I think it will bet bashed up&in much easier than other aftermarket skids. It is super annoying to have your skid smashed against your sway bar. Been there, done that (stock skid). That's why I'm not a fan - may or may not be justified :)

Well lucky for me, I removed my front sway bar many miles ago! :rockin:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have this bumper and love it, it has taken a pretty good beating, however jsexton is right, the lower skid plate mounting needs improvement. its slotted at the end to make it easier for install, but those tiny 10 mm bolts are no match for rocks, and with no support on the backside of the hole because of the slotting, the bolts break right off, ask me how i know lol. For me, my custom skidplates hold it tight so its not an issue, but if i ordered another one, and I would if i had too, i would ask to have the skid plate design slightly modified to use all 4 mounting holes and not be slotted

·
Registered
590 Posts
My hardcore front bumper was good, I know someone has put a badlands winch in there. My only gripe was that the loops for the d-ring shackles was machined incorrectly so I had to make them bigger myself. I like the skid plate although I hear people complaining because it says "Hardcore" and I'm not sure why, but whatever

·
Banned
41 Posts
What are options for the rear license plate mounting?

Is there enough room between any bracing of the rear bumper to drill/flush mount the trailer plug?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well I must say I have their front bumper and I love it. I got the winch in it and I love it. I don't have pics yet because I am trying to figure out how much of my front grille I have to cut off.

So the bucktooth grill has to be trimmed for this bumper to fit?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts