Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently took a chance on an interesting product that came to our attention not too long ago.

This review is for is a custom PlastiDip color only available from DipYourCar, a website dedicated to providing PlastiDip products to car enthusiasts. They offer a few interesting PlastiDip products, including metalizer and gloss sprays, as well as their exclusive custom gunmetal mix. I am also reviewing the PreVal spraying kit.

I bought it on sale; it currently costs $8. Shipping, however, is a flat $13.50 which is kind of a dealbreaker (I bought some other stuff to make it reasonable). For your money, you could probably buy a Mix-Your-Own PlastiDip kit and replicate the color. It comes in a pint tin, but you only get 11 fl oz (equivalent to one can of regular 'Dip).

You also need something to spray it with - not having access to a portable air compressor, I used the PreVal sprayer kit, which you can buy from DipYourCar or Home Depot in the spray paint aisle next to the regular 'Dip. The full sprayer kit comes with one can of compressed air with a straw to feed from an attached bottle as well as caps for both sprayer and bottle; you can buy air refills that each come with a new straw.

For the custom 'Dip and sprayer kit with refills, expect to spend around $30-$35 to do your wheels like I did.

DipYourCar will sell you one spray kit plus a refill for $10 - go to Home Depot instead.

We had an incredibly warm day in Boston yesterday, so I took advantage of it to stealth my wheels.

I shouldn't have to tell you that this is not the ideal way to spray a wheel.

So, here's my first layer:

What I've learned:
The PreVal sprayer is not very efficient. It's most effective in close quarters (2-4 inches away), sputters a lot (though to its credit it doesn't fling gobs of PlastiDip unless it runs low on air), and generally sprays out a little more air than 'Dip. On the box it says each can should propel 16oz of liquid...clearly not, as I used almost all 11oz of 'Dip through three cans and some change.

It never clogged, though. I should also note that, like any can of compressed air (i.e., fluorocarbons) the can gets colder as you spray; I would wear work gloves to insulate your fingers, these things can cause frostbite! I received two cans of air from DipYourCar. Two charges got me through two and a quarter wheels, so I had to drive to Home Depot looking like a chump to get more. In total, I completely depleted three charges and have a fourth one partially used for touching up.

The Gunmetal PlastiDip is a little darker than the OEM plastic, and has a cool tone to it (i.e., it's slightly blue/purple compared to the plastic). It is not metallic - I wonder how it would look with the metallizer spray? I was expecting it to be closer to OEM plastic (and in fact I wanted a lighter gray) but it looks all right.

It goes on a little thin like regular 'Dip, which is okay because you can recoat it almost instantly. In the image above you can compare it to black PlastiDip (my side molding is 'Dipped). I kept applying light coats so I didn't have a problem with dripping. I powerwashed my X that morning and the PlastiDip that was on it already held up nicely, so the wheels should be equally durable but I'll get back to you on that in a few months. I ended up using pretty much all 11 fl oz. on my wheels - I had a little leftover to do my grille (pics later). I'm going to go back to my grille later and touch it up by brushing on what I have left.

Was it worth it? Maybe not - it was relatively costly to obtain and I had to spend another $7 on extra air charges to get the result I wanted. It's a good color, but it's not metallic as the name might suggest, nor does it come close to matching OEM plastic. I think somewhere down the line I'll be using a Mix-Your-Own-Color kit (about $23 shipped free with Amazon Prime) and a metallizer spray to get the color I really want, but that's a personal thing. If your truck doesn't already have two or three additional paint colors on it, this could be right for you (and use an actual paint sprayer with an air compressor!). I would buy two or three tins so you can 'Dip your plastics to match.

I think it'd be a killer hood coating, too - it'd be really subtle on a Knight Armor X, and a nice contrast on Super Black. On a warm-colored X (i.e., red, yellow, Granite) it will look much darker and the difference between it and the OEM plastics will be more pronounced. I wouldn't pair it with Metallic Green either, it might look too blue (can you tell I went to art school?).

For now, my X looks pretty nice if you can get past the mismatched grays and I'll keep it looking this way for a while since I put a fair amount of money into it. Eventually the wheels will get scratched and I'll have to redo them (maybe by then I'll be ready to bedline). I want my roof rails, grille, and maybe rear bumper to match - I'm not sure yet if I would buy another tin to do it.

TL;DR:
-A little expensive
-Somewhat inefficient
-Not metallic, but still a nice color.
-No strong feelings; buy it if you want it.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool, and I love the results. So, it's essentially spray on vinyl wrapping?
More or less. It was originally intended for bare metal tool handles. It's surprisingly durable but peels off fairly easily, so you can mess up as much as you want (or can afford). They make a few colors plus a mix-your-own kit; black is the easiest to find in hardware stores.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the same product, nice review. I got the gunmetal wheel kit. came with 2 paint cans, with i think 44 ounces. and the sprayers. you're right the sprayers are cheaper at home dpot by a couple bucks. i had extra once i was done with all 4 wheels.

the only two things i don't agree with in your review is if you know plastidip, you know this product is a matte finish not metallic. they have the gloss wheel kit or the mtalizers for metallic finish. also good luck with the create a color. you can't spray that stuff out of a gun, and i don't want to do the trial and error seeing how much to thin it down to make sure it doesn't run or clog. they seemed to have this part figured out.

overall i'd give it a 8.5/10. the loss of points is just the sprayers don't cover as much ground as i wanted, so it took a little while. love the finish, and the product. i wish it was 5-10 bucks cheaper but whatever

·
Registered
54 Posts
How is this holding up on the wheels? I live in Wyoming, where the roads are treated with crushed granite in the winter. I was considering doing my wheels and badges, but I'm concerned they'd look like crap if I didn't redo them constantly...

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I scratched them for the first time while wheeling a few weeks ago (and it's been on nearly a year now), but on previous outings they held up super well. They haven't had a chance to truly winter over, since last season was so mild.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I originally sprayed mine last february and only resprayed them recently. It held up well even with wheeling. Youre better off just using the standard spray can to put it on no spray guns neccessary. Its easy once you figure out how it dries. I also use a heat gun to speed up the process
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Plastic,

Looks like they came out with a new color recently called "Smoke", you heard anything about this?

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip_Smoke

Im thinking of trying this on my wheels, if I like this color I will permanently paint them. I see you sprayed your wheels when they were still mounted on the truck, did you have any running issues or puddling at the bottom of lips like people have with bedliner when they spray them upright?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plastic,

Looks like they came out with a new color recently called "Smoke", you heard anything about this?

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip_Smoke

Im thinking of trying this on my wheels, if I like this color I will permanently paint them. I see you sprayed your wheels when they were still mounted on the truck, did you have any running issues or puddling at the bottom of lips like people have with bedliner when they spray them upright?
I have seen the smoke, it's a matte color for some reason (though you can apply Glossifier over it). What really piques my interest right now is the new Anthracite Gray: https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.php?productid=83&cat=39&page=1

I had some puddling on just one of my rims, because I was too hasty between layers (everything else was a very light coat). I've picked up some scratches from heavy wheeling over the last few months so they need to be redone (and just in time for new tires too!). Next round I'll take them off the truck, might try the new charcoal-in-a-can that DipYourCar has, or the above Anthracite Gray (I also want to try two-tone rims).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Wow, I like that better, I might pull the trigger on 4 cans of this stuff today

Here's a cool video on their new True Metallics line -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVeeEzFQt8

I thought I saw in one of his videos though that spraying it with a glossifier coat made it a real b!tch to remove?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any problem with water spotting??? I went and got muddy like 2 days after I did my bumpers and could never get them clean. Im thinking maybe I didnt let it cure long enough??? I did it in the winter. Its dark but you can kinda see what I am talking about...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
That looks like salt, was it during the winter?

If not, you are probably right that it didnt cure. But looking at the video of that stuff it looks like it cures pretty quickly. But that's what I said when I bedlined my DepHep rack and then scraped it off two days later putting a beach chair on it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Its not salt, we dont salt down here much at all in the winter. I took off all the plastics and dipped them in the garage with a propane heater going to help dry it. It was below freezing when I did it though and I didn't heat the garage the entire time. That is what leads to me believe it just didn't cure. Then as soon as I got them put back on we got the bright idea of getting it muddy. Now its stained... :banghead: That is what has kept me from dipping my wheels. Now that it is warm outside I am considering trying again...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
12 Participants
satown210
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing