Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive my 2013 Xterra PRO4X 6spd 4WD on the aggressive side. Barely had 42,000 miles when I burned out my clutch. Warranty is good for 100k miles, doesn't cover clutch disc, didn't have the money for a Nissan or upgraded clutch. Bought the Autozone clutch for $175+tax. Been on there for only 9000 miles ago and I already BROKE THE PRESSURE PLATE. They don't seem to hold up very well, friction disc is very thin & grip is very poor. Took me a week to drop the transmission, transfer case, exhaust, drive shaft, and it's just not worth it the headache.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What NoahSki said. I drive pretty spiritedly in the X and I just hit 172k miles with the original clutch on mine. When it does go, I'll drop in the JW clutch/flywheel kit I bought years ago that's been sitting here in my room.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't want this taken the wrong way but why in the world would you do this to yourself??

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,788 Posts
Cheap parts aren't good and good parts aren't cheap. Maybe adjust your driving a bit, there's a reason there weren't any Xterra's in the fast and the furious...
Haha!

I don't want this taken the wrong way but why in the world would you do this to yourself??
Probably to save the cost of a dealership doing it since it wasn't under warranty.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Not trying to be rude but Autozone has a reputation for crap parts. They are the Walmart of the autoparts world. Cheap and accessible but not quality. People buy the cheapest part they can buy and then cry when the part fails.

Not being rude to this guy, but we see it in the shop all the time. Do it once and do it right.

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,788 Posts
Not trying to be rude but Autozone has a reputation for crap parts. They are the Walmart of the autoparts world. Cheap and accessible but not quality. People buy the cheapest part they can buy and then cry when the part fails.

Not being rude to this guy, but we see it in the shop all the time. Do it once and do it right.
Agreed.

·
Registered
366 Posts

This is what I'm talking about VMBio.

Its not like he saved any money. They job now has to be done again and more parts will need to be purchased.

next time go with the jim wolf clutch and flywheel and you probably wont ever have to replace it again.
I am running this setup currently. I don't expect to need to replace it in the next 100k.

·
Registered
366 Posts
100% going with this next time around, I may even switch to this before long anyway. The stock clutch is just way to touchy for me and hard to drive smoothly.
My JWT setup even with the organic disc is more grippy than stock. To top that off you are eliminating the DM flywheel which smooths things a bit.

The JWT clutch setup is not for making your X drive like a Cadillac. Its to improve grip, longevity, and increase clutch reliability under the most severe conditions.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I was going to say the same thing. What I consider a good clutch (jwt, center force dual friction, etc) tend to be very touchy because they grab so hard.

The xterra is my 5th mt - it's by far the smoothest, easiest clutch I've ever driven.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
366 Posts
My JWT clutch is even more grabby than my Ram twin disc 10.5R capable of handling 1650ft lb in my Camaro.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My JWT setup even with the organic disc is more grippy than stock. To top that off you are eliminating the DM flywheel which smooths things a bit.

The JWT clutch setup is not for making your X drive like a Cadillac. Its to improve grip, longevity, and increase clutch reliability under the most severe conditions.
What I meant by touchy is not that it grabs fast (actually it does quite the opposite), but it seems to grab differently every time I drive it. It's just annoying for me. This is my third MT car and definitely the worst stock set-up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts