Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review of the Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start PPS XP-1

First, thanks to skibum315 for mentioning this new product in another thread. After doing a little research it seemed like an interesting emergency backup starting battery. I've got a traditional emergency model but it is relatively large. The smaller size of the Micro-Start was attractive.

I ordered one from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDYYK4A/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It does fit under either front seat, though it would eliminate the toe space if there is a rear passenger on that side.

I did two tests. The first was after the X had been sitting in the garage for two days and the garage temperature was about 40F. I disconnected the battery and connected the Micro-Start. The engine started as easily as if the regular battery had been connected. I started the engine three more times and it started easily each time.

The next test was done after two days of sitting, like the first test. This time I pulled the fuel pump fuse and let the engine crank for about 6 seconds. After replacing the fuse the engine started easily. I did three more starts with similar results. The battery has plenty of power for starting.

I'm pleased with the performance. The small size comes at a price but it's worth it for me.

Cheers
Jeff

·
on line
750 Posts
Nice. Could definitely use this product since I have sooo much gear packed into my X that the jump battery is a real nuisance.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Awesome! Glad you liked it as much as I did ... need to get one ordered, myself; your review is the kick in the pants I need ... maybe an(other) Xmas gift to myself. :rolleyes:

What really sold me, was the test video they posted ... multiple cranks/starts on a high-compression race bike, and on a modern 4L Toyota motor (similarly demanding as the VQ40) with no apparent complaints from the unit.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Depends ... I can see an application for a dual battery system, and the Kodiak is the only one out there for our trucks that doesn't require any DIY.

Seems to me, that the dual system - with proper battery selection - provides more rated output than stock (both amp output and battery reserve capacity), which would be necessary for regular winch use or if one's added a sufficient amount of other constant high-drain electronics (like a fridge, or high power comms gear, or a high draw audio system, etc) ... while this little guy provides a good safety net for starting/restarting out in the boonies.

Like with most things, there are multiple paths to a solution, one just has to weigh requirements vs. what you're getting ...

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
well the one you linked is a cheaper option made in china that has a couple different versions from different companies, but they all accomplish the same task.

i already have a larger battery in my xterra, group 31 diehard platinum.
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...p-02850131000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
100 amp hours at 20 hr rate, with 1150 CCA, biggest battery that will fit in the stock location. I replaced the stock positive battery terminal and made a short jumper to the stock fuselink and the negative lead reached just fine. i also run a 30w solar panel that charges my battery during the day while camping.
this little guy would do me just fine if i could manage to kill my battery.

·
on line
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I chose Micro-Start because it claims they are made in the USA, that is worth a higher price in my opinion.

The one negative review of the Micro-Start on Amazon was the concern over the clamps being energized when plugged into the battery. That individual shouldn't be working around any power sources. The instructions specifically say to attach the clamps to the car battery and then plug the connector into the battery. Jump starting a car is a potentially hazardous job and should be done by someone who understands the process, regardless of the auxiliary battery used.

Jeff

·
on line
2,868 Posts
I ordered the Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start PPS XP-3 model which doesn't include some of the extra laptop charging port adapters, but has the same battery output for jump starting. Look closely at the box:

Seems like a no brainer, we must all have one.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
This seems like a great way to protect yourself from a mistake when you need help the most. If you couple this with a solar charger, like a Goal-Zero, you could provide yourself with low voltage power whenever you need it.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
So got to use mine a few times this summer for various uses:

- On a week long sea kayaking trip it charged my go pro + remote + wi-fi pack four times and still had charge at the end of the week.

- Jump started Steadyhigh's "project" car from completely dead once a poor connection was sorted out.

So far I have to say it's working great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts