Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a "heads up" than a review I suppose, because it's a straight-forward product. I bought and returned two cheap generic ones that stuck waaaay out since the pin is so close to the end on the X.

I bought the Agency 6 shackle because it had a second hole that is closer to the actual shackle, and I wanted lower profile. Of course, they don't have measurements published and instead of figuring the distance myself by calculating based on the width, I admittedly half assumed it was much closer. The angle is a little deceptive:

I bought the grey, and it also comes in black, red, blue, and gold.

My fault for not being more careful, but it at least was about a half inch more recessed than the other two. The other nice thing is it's overall longer, and fits better in the hitch. The others had the pin hole at the very end at the block (so does this one if you use the back one) so with the slight play due to the diameter being smaller, any movement left-right felt like it put pressure directly on one side of the pin. (Barely any of the block was actually in the hitch receiver.) With this one being longer, the pressure felt like it was being applied to the receiver rather than the pin.

This is what it looks like from a few angles:

The other mistake I made was buying it directly from their website. I did because Amazon has a month delay on non-essential items. They had a 10% off code, but shipping added quite a bit. They also have a 20% restocking fee, which is most of the reason I'm keeping it. After I ordered I realized they have an eBay store front, which is free 3-day shipping and free returns. It would have been cheaper overall from there.

I also considered whether I could drill another hole since it's aluminum, but the longer length actually keeps it from inserting far enough. The finish and it being lightweight are nice, but knowing everything I'd probably look for something else if I had another chance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wouldn't leave it in there. I can see that getting stolen pretty fast.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't leave it in there. I can see that getting stolen pretty fast.
Could be famous last words, but where I live I don't think there's anything to worry about. People in my neighborhood (northern Virginia) probably don't know what it is in the first place, and I doubt they're going to come cut or pry off the locking pin right under a conspicuously placed camera on the garage.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Could be famous last words, but where I live I don't think there's anything to worry about. People in my neighborhood (northern Virginia) probably don't know what it is in the first place, and I doubt they're going to come cut or pry off the locking pin right under a conspicuously placed camera on the garage.
I meant when you are out and about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts