Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought kit from Ebay.

Excellent kit to remove the restrictive OEM "Y" pipe.

Fit, weld quality, and finish were all great!

It made a definite improvement in performance (according to the butt-dyno). Well worth the total price. >:)

The sound is 'good'. Louder, but not that rumble that I would have preferred... But for the price/value I chose to buy this set up. Internet videos don't really help you make a decision on sound...

*Follow the directions* that arrive in the box ;) You do need to remove the exhaust mount from the truck - especially for the rear pipe.

I used a powered hacksaw to quickly cut the rear pipe off the old exhaust. ;)

I have a 33" spare tire and found that just lowering it to the ground gave me much more room to finagle the rear pipe on...

Total time to install was less than 4 hours and well within the ability of the average DIYer...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The Hi-Tuck is far from quiet. I've had mine for a few years, first it was on my Frontier. It's not quiet, it'll drone above 60mph. It doesn't bother me, but it might others.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It is stainless. Mine came off my Frontier and it experienced at least one full winter in North Dakota. It's not rusted, just water stains and a color change, I'm assuming due to heat.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To follow up...

No real rust that I can see.

It sounds better (after I fixed an exhaust leak/my fault) but still not 'deep/throaty'

No drone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Gibson and it doesn't sound that loud. They even stuck the muffler on backwards to be louder.
I could not care less really...still pretty deep and throaty. I put in a bunch of Dynaliner to keep it quiet in the cabin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
AFE EXHAUST

Bought the hi-tuck version from Canadian supplier TDOT performance . Easy to install , local mechanic charged $80.00 . Keep in mind it is Loud ...very Loud. Well built however and yes the Xterra is easier on gas most likely because of the free flowing internal or the muffler and me being a lot easier on the gas pedal around town trying not to make too much noise.
It was a perfect fit on my 2015 Limited Edition Xterra.

Link to Canadian supplier .....tdotperformance.ca/afe-49-46111-machforce-xp-hi-tuck-cat-back-3-in

·
NewX’er 4life
2,451 Posts
Bought the hi-tuck version from Canadian supplier TDOT performance . Easy to install , local mechanic charged $80.00 . Keep in mind it is Loud ...very Loud. Well built however and yes the Xterra is easier on gas most likely because of the free flowing internal or the muffler and me being a lot easier on the gas pedal around town trying not to make too much noise.
It was a perfect fit on my 2015 Limited Edition Xterra.

Link to Canadian supplier .....tdotperformance.ca/afe-49-46111-machforce-xp-hi-tuck-cat-back-3-in
Tdot is expensive FYI for future reference. You can often find items cheaper.

Also the Limited Edition is just a badge and some floor mats for the last Canadian bound production run of Xterras. Everything on it is identical to the P4X models of the same year.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hey OP or RikRong.. any links to the exact one on Ebay? I'm looking but not quite sure which one you guys have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
PhullD You have a nice xterra , I looked at you mods, nice work . I'm a bit older and mine is mostly a garage Queen. if you know or can suggest a better supplier of parts for our xterra please let me know. TDOT was the best price I found for the AFE exhaust ( unless you are in the US). I paid $737.98C (-38.84 rebate) plus tax. Total $848.68C Free shipping ( Delivered Pulorator 11 days from California). AFE site US $594.50 or $771.33C plus tax plus shipping to Can. I figured TDot was had a good price. Ottawa may have better suppliers ??...4WHEELER Parts was another supplier however asking $200 to install and shipping !! The AFE is loud ! However considering your mods ..tire ect that sound may not be a concern for you ..and it would be easy for you to install. Again nice mods on your rig i'll check once in a while to see what you are up to.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,451 Posts
PhullD You have a nice xterra , I looked at you mods, nice work . I'm a bit older and mine is mostly a garage Queen. if you know or can suggest a better supplier of parts for our xterra please let me know. TDOT was the best price I found for the AFE exhaust ( unless you are in the US). I paid $737.98C (-38.84 rebate) plus tax. Total $848.68C Free shipping ( Delivered Pulorator 11 days from California). AFE site US $594.50 or $771.33C plus tax plus shipping to Can. I figured TDot was had a good price. Ottawa may have better suppliers ??...4WHEELER Parts was another supplier however asking $200 to install and shipping !! The AFE is loud ! However considering your mods ..tire ect that sound may not be a concern for you ..and it would be easy for you to install. Again nice mods on your rig i'll check once in a while to see what you are up to.
I have a US shipping address. I always compare US to Canadian vendors and sort the costs out myself, I've noticed tdot was pricey for some things I was looking at in the past. I've saved thousands over the last 3 years as I can benefit from free shipping within the US for items originating in California, and often I get waved through the border so I don't pay taxes often. I also don't have to pay brokerage charges which are often ridiculous. For example a 300$ item may be free shipping in the US, but as soon as it ships to Canada, you pay $30-40 in shipping + brokerage charges ($15-25) and then taxes so the total ends up being over $400. Or, I pay $20 in gas and get it myself in the US. I live an hour away from the border though, others might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The drone around 2000 RPM was simply too much , I checked the various options , resonator , muffler change , Resonator tube ect . Found various configurations of Vibration Dampers.....some on toyotas, some on Ford F150 and found an interesting one from Mopar. Mopar Part No.: 52103612AA DAMPER-EXHAUST PIPE.....an older discontinued part still available from mopartpartsgiant.com
Got three of them , installed two in front of muffler on 2.5 inch exhaust and one on the back 3 inch , used three stainless clamps from Vibrant. ( used some Lock nut and extra nut to keep them from moving ).

Can't say it stopped the drone , it reduced it considerably , it reduced the engine vibrations at idle. It did not change the engine sound at normal or cruising speed. The power ..engine sounds like a Nissan Z ...Ricee.!!

A bit hard to justify the expense , however sounds better , and the dampers may help reduce issues some reported with the cat converts that may be affected by the vibrations.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts