Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Recently, my mother noticed and started complaining about the way her headlight lenses looked yellow and cloudy on her Highlander. I told her I would give this product a try on them.

The system is a 4 stage process. It starts with a coarse sanding, then a light sanding, followed by a wet sanding, and finally a buff/polish. The kit includes a drill insert that the also included sanding discs stick to. The process was quite simple and the directions easy to follow. I finished both, what I call large headlight lenses, in about two hours.

As far as the results go, my original skepticism about there not being enough sanding discs to complete the rather large lenses I was working on turned out to be valid. Additional discs could have made the sanding process more even as these discs tend to clog with dust quickly and become useless. Basically, my lenses have a few spots that have buff/sanding marks on them although you would have to get really close to see them. The instructions suggest to go buy another kit and go over them again to be sure everything is perfect, but to me, this is good enough as the yellow is gone and that is what bothered her most of all. Overall, the product works as desired and I am quite pleased with how the lenses turned out.

I don't have any pics of the kit parts, but here is the instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA

...and my low quality cell phone pics:

Before:

During first sanding stage:

After:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I used the 3M kit on a pair headlights that had some sort of what looked like chemical etching covering half of the cover. Tried other kits first - no joy.

The 3M kit worked great for me. Took a long time to get an even finish on the first pass but then it went fairly fast. I kept knocking the residue out of the paper and had sand paper left over.

Toy Man

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I just use BRASSO liquid polishing compound for metal with a cotton wrag and it works pretty well too... no sand paper needed.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good suggestion good to know there are other polishes that can do the job
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts