Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 S auto, 158k
About a week ago I drive to a doctor's appointment (roughly 10 city miles), truck runs perfectly normal. Go to back out of the parking spot and reverse doesn't want to engage, just kind of revs and sputters, eventually engages. Everything else seems fine until I'm almost home. Going through an intersection from a complete stop, truck hardly has any power in first gear, not completely dead just rough. Bit of a jerk into second and seems fine from there.

Parked for two days while I research the problem. Go to take it around the block, reverse engages no problem. First gear is fine at first. Round the corner and first gear gets real rough again and loses all acceleration, just revs.

Parked for another two days. Against my better judgment, I decided to try and get it to the cleaners just down the road so I can get it posted to sell. Reverse is fine. Goes into first through third. This time though, I notice a whirring/buzzing noise coming from underneath while the accelerator is pushed which has never happened and it's not the timing chain humming. Once back down to first, it loses all acceleration and just revs. Coast into a parking lot and turn it off. Sit a minute, crank back up and goes into gear. I'm like two blocks away from home so I just limp back.

I've been scouring the internet and trying to diagnose what I can with what little knowledge and resources have.
No knock or any other noises besides the buzzing.
It's not SMOD. Transmission fluid is a little dark but not milky or low and no residue under the radiator cap.
No codes are being thrown except for the fuel censor (it's been out for a while, just haven't had time to drop the tank and replace).
Not running hot, has full tank of gas, and oil is fine.
Crankshaft position sensor died and was replaced last year.

Also tried this method to pull TCU codes but the O/D light just stays lit at the end. Had to do all the steps with the shift lock release pressed because I couldn't shift with the ignition in the acc position. Not sure if that effects the procedure or not.

Sorry for the long OP but if you made it this far, thank you. What do you guys think? Would somewhat old transmission fluid cause this much of a problem? Could it be another sensor somewhere even though I don't have a code for it? Solenoids? I'm running in circles and don't have money to just throw at it and hope something sticks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are low on trans fluid - check it hot to get a proper reading - mine would do the same in reverse . i was a cup low
Yours may be more
I've checked several times cold and hot while running, on flat surface. If anything, it seemed to be a little over as there was fluid above the hatch marks.

Did a drain and fill (about 4qts) yesterday, was definitely a bit burnt. But now I can't get any gear to engage. Shift lever will move and the indicator on the gauge cluster will show correctly but truck just revs.

Also went to check after sitting since yesterday. Wiped, reinserted, and this is what the dipstick looks like. This is before warming up...
Plant Terrestrial plant Twig Dragonfly Dragonflies and damseflies

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Pending answers to the above questions, start looking for good transmission shops in your area. $1k - $4k depending on where you live to repair, rebuild, or swap. Could just be something simple, but prepare yourself for some temporary shock.

I and others in the pre-2011 model years who've been through transmission problems (independent of anything else going bad) are sympathetic to what your going through. It can likely be repaired and then you'll be good for many thousands of miles thereafter without a new car payment.

Good luck with diagnosis and repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture above was dead cold, just out of curiosity. It reads the same once warmed, running, and rotating the stick. Did a battery reset before start up. No code and is acting the same. The whining/buzzing noise is pretty consistent now idling in park. Goes away a bit once warmed up.

After hours of looking through threads and videos, I've come to the conclusion that the whine is either a shot torque converter, or the filter/screen is clogged and starving the transmission of fluid...should have dropped the pan before filling it back up. May do that tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts