Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After completing suspension work on my X i took it on a 2 weeks trip to Southern Utah with mix of highway and an easy to rough 4x4 roads.
My conclusion: suspension doesn't work. The ride is horrible as if there is no suspension. Bouncing on the street, much worse on dirt. I feel like it is rear suspension to blame, Dobinson leafs medium load completely overpowering Bilsteins. I read some guys recommended removing leafs to improve the ride, i may have to do that as the ride is just unbearable.
In comparison, I lifted my 86 VW Syncro Vanagon while back using spring lift plus spacers in the back and ride is just as good and comfy as it was before the lift. But it's got independent rear suspension, not stone age leafs. Listening to any suggestions

· Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I bought ARB medium springs, which caused a 1” lift. Good in the road, too hard in the desert.
2 months later I added extended 2” shackles. Much better.

eventually I got Alcan 2” lift and +200lb over stock stiffness. Rides great, better than ARB.

Alcan shop weighed my Xterra to be +500lb over stock. +200lb spring stiffness was my choice. Works great. Numbers depend on where you ride. What you want. I wanted softer ride.

you may be at stock weight with too stiff leaf springs. Get softer setting. This is a setup with many variables, including shock length. Things need to match or you get a harsh ride.

Alcan said not to drive Offroad for the first 500 miles.

· Registered
2,513 Posts
After completing suspension work on my X i took it on a 2 weeks trip to Southern Utah with mix of highway and an easy to rough 4x4 roads.
My conclusion: suspension doesn't work. The ride is horrible as if there is no suspension. Bouncing on the street, much worse on dirt. I feel like it is rear suspension to blame, Dobinson leafs medium load completely overpowering Bilsteins. I read some guys recommended removing leafs to improve the ride, i may have to do that as the ride is just unbearable.
In comparison, I lifted my 86 VW Syncro Vanagon while back using spring lift plus spacers in the back and ride is just as good and comfy as it was before the lift. But it's got independent rear suspension, not stone age leafs. Listening to any suggestions
Why did you install the medium duty rear springs? If you're not carrying a lot of weight in the back, there's no surprise it rides like a dump truck. And then to compare it to a Vanagon is odd.

Leaf springs are hardly stone age - nearly every truck out there uses them to this day.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They is no low duty springs. Medium or high load is all you get.
Leafs are stone age, just because "nearly every truck uses them" it doesnt prove anything. There used to be leafs in front, it took a long time to get over it.
Some day rear leafs will be history

· Registered
2,513 Posts
They is no low duty springs. Medium or high load is all you get.
Leafs are stone age, just because "nearly every truck uses them" it doesnt prove anything. There used to be leafs in front, it took a long time to get over it.
Some day rear leafs will be history
well I guess you know everything then...good luck!

· Registered
727 Posts
there’s a reason “almost every truck uses them”
It’s a truck, not a Cadillac.
It’s made to do truck things
Leaf springs allow for truck duties better than coil springs.
I don’t need the cushiest ride and enjoy having a truck

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I know what i know. I dont need luck. I am not driving lumber wagon. I am not driving a Cadillac. I am not looking for cushiest ride.
Please read my comments before giving "advises" or biased opinions. This is not useful or helpful

· Registered
2,513 Posts

I know what i know. I dont need luck. I am not driving lumber wagon. I am not driving a Cadillac. I am not looking for cushiest ride.
Please read my comments before giving "advises" or biased opinions. This is not useful or helpful
With your attitude I'm sure you'll have a great time here. ass...

· Registered
62 Posts
I have a modded 2011 P4x with 5100s, ADO HD coils & Alcan leafs/standard OEM shackle. Great off road & daily driver. I also have a restored 1981Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser that has leaf springs front and rear (OME 2.5" lift using leafs & shocks). My FJ40 will out-wheel my Xterra any day of the week. Putting down a leaf spring suspension is just uneducated & an error. They are 2 different types of rigs which does make a difference. As an afterthought, I had a 1974 FJ40 that I bought new back in the day and I went places that the other 4WD vehicles of the day couldn't even get to (referring to Blazer, full size trucks, etc). Don't put down leaf spring suspensions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts