Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The towing hitch drags all the time. I want to replace it with the bumper w/o the tire carrier. What's the scoop on taking the stock hitch and the bumper off? Is this job easy enough for 1-2 hours of driveway time?

Thanks much!

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
1-2 hours for the tow hitch/ bumper swap is accurate. The wiring harness will take longer if it is not already installed.

Get the tire carrier if you can afford it. It gives more rear ground clearance.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, the tire carrier is too much. I am going to keep this car civil looking since I really have no idea how long I am going to keep it for. The plan is to carry the tire either in the trunk or on the roof. I have the harness already installed, but it is busted on the end. I figured I'd swap the bumper now rather than replacing the towing hitch every year due to trail damage.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tire has to be re-located. I don't see how practical it is to have it under the car... What if the car cannot be moved and you cannot access the tire. I am planning on creating a tire bag so it stays clean and then storing it either in the back or on top.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
vman said:
The tire has to be re-located. I don't see how practical it is to have it under the car... What if the car cannot be moved and you cannot access the tire.
Has to be relocated ? As in there's no other option? Don't want to get into a pissing contest but I really can't see a situation whereas I can't move the car and can't get the spare out, oh and at the same time I need to change a tire. Unless I have a flat after I've buried myself to the frame rails in sand or mud. If I need to jack the car anyways (to change tire) then I could jack to get spare out. The only caveat I see to having the spare underneath is hampering the approach on the ascent or descent of a hill or obstacle. AS in my previous post I would like to hear of RW situations where someone has said "DAMN, if I only had my spare on the roof or a rear-swing away carrier I wouldn't be in this mess"

regards

·
on line
111 Posts
I wheeled a 1st gen X for 8 years with the spare underneath, and have the spare underneath the current X (with the shrock bumper), and it has NEVER hung me up. I have hit the spare a few times here and there, but never poked a hole in it. It actually protects the bumper a bit, and slides over rocks quite well. That is my experience wheeling extensively in Colorado and Moab.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Honestly, the spare in a 2nd gen is tucked up there pretty well. I wheeled a bunch with the stock bumper and no tow hitch and banged up the bumper a lot, but as far as I can see, never touched the tire.

I have gone with the Shrock rear bumper with carrier as crawling around under to get the tire out is not fun and I used that space for my on-board air.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I have heard and I can't remember where--

--Complaints about the aftermarket rear bumpers, (without swingaway) , because, they didn't allow eough ACCESS to the spare "release window"-

--dropping the spare down, for use was a real nightmare !!

--Checkitout--JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Someone had a problem with their 3" body lift and the spare tire. An aftermarket bumper should make a difference as the hole is in the body and not the bumper.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: ---------------BINGO----------------

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
316 Posts
I have yet to really hear of a situation where the Spare has hindered someones clearance, its tucked way the EFF up there. Unless your using that space for an air system, its not worth your time or money to move it. IMO

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Muzikman said:
Honestly, the spare in a 2nd gen is tucked up there pretty well. I wheeled a bunch with the stock bumper and no tow hitch and banged up the bumper a lot, but as far as I can see, never touched the tire.

I have gone with the Shrockworks rear bumper with carrier as crawling around under to get the tire out is not fun and I used that space for my on-board air.
THANKS for your reply - something I kinda figured. Solves something I was wondering about.

Now if I can get a 33" tire under there ? :compress:

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have never hit the tire because the hitch was the first one to catch on. As for the access, I think it is a so-so idea to have a tire mounted underneath the car. I can only imagine how it feels to get it out when it is crappy out. We I wheel with 1 other person most of the time and I see no reason for not putting the tire in the trunk or on top, especially if you have a Gobi rack or plenty of space inside. Just my preference :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts