Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian, I'm replacing the half shafts with extended Sway-A-Way shafts on my buddy's X. SLR did the same long travel kit with my truck and now we have the parts for another. The shafts are 2.5" longer per side.

My Nissan factory service manual lists many parts that I should replace--from boots, of course, to clamps to screws. Do I need to replace all the parts they suggest? Just some of them? Could you put together a kit with all the odds and ends we'll need?

I have some other needs with the lift as well, so we'll probably end up talking, But I just wanted to get the discussion rolling. BTW, welcome back.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
If you are just replacing the sgafts as a whole, you should not have to replace ANYTHING, Nissan Lists the shafts as Individual Pieces, or as a whole shaft, which is what it sounds like you are replacing.

Brian

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but it's just the shafts, literally. Nissan lists them with CVs integrated and sells them as units. But I bought aftermarket shafts that are just the shafts. So I have to replace boots and seals and snaps and clamps, etc., I think so I can re-use the joints.

·
on line
807 Posts
I'd just replace the grease, and clamps to hold the boots on. If the boots look worn, then replace them too.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think what d-rap is trying to say. He is just getting the shafts, without the CV joints. He is reusing the stock CV joints. He needs to know what hardware is needed to put the stock CV joints on the shaft.

d-rap, I am correct?

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muzikman said:
I think what d-rap is trying to say. He is just getting the shafts, without the CV joints. He is reusing the stock CV joints. He needs to know what hardware is needed to put the stock CV joints on the shaft.

d-rap, I am correct?
Exactly. We have the Sway-A-Way shafts, just the shafts. And I have the factory service manual on CD, and I see all the little parts Nissan has their techs replace (at least in theory). So I need to know what really needs to be replaced (everything minus the CVs is fine with me is that's the safest route to go) and whether Brian can make me a complete kit, which I assume he can

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, I think it would be best to start with, what parts can the dealers actually order for a half shaft. It wouldn't shock me if the dealers can't get specific parts. Heck, you can't buy just the bushings for the LCA's.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...or a splined sector shaft for a steering rack--gotta buy the whole thing (even though it's an easy re-build).

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
AHHHH I see now, I would just replace the clamps.
as long as the boots are in good shape with no rips, you just need some Grease and the Clamps and everything else can be re-used.

Brian

·
on line
14,014 Posts
mcampana said:
So um, all you guys calling Greg at PRG dailey.......Why dont one of you ask him about comming up with some replacement bushings for our LCA's?
I actually brought this up w/ him the other day and he didn't seem to have any news/updates as to a solution. As for now, it seems the only way to go is to replace for stock entire LCA.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jerseyparts said:
AHHHH I see now, I would just replace the clamps.
as long as the boots are in good shape with no rips, you just need some Grease and the Clamps and everything else can be re-used.
Brian
Thanks, Brian, I'll call you, since you might be the best source of the perfect clamps, and I have a few other odds and ends I want to ask you about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts