Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First time posting here, first time Xterra owner! So far my wife and I really like it. We have an 05 Xterra S and I was wanting to upgrade the radio on it. I would love to put the money down for some like the Pioneer AVIC-D3, but I dont have that kind of money and i would worry about it getting stolen. I read that the Rockford factory head unit had an auxiliary plug for an iPod. I like this approach because the radio will look factory, it has 6 disc cd-changer and we could plug our iPods into it.

My question is if this is just an easy swap? Can I take out the old head unit and replace it with the RF head unit without having to get the rest of the system too, like the amplifier? Does the wiring in the back easily hookup? I would like to know what is involved so i can weigh this option with buying just a regular aftermarket cd player that supports and ipod interface. Thanks for any info.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Well I can tell you now that buying the after market stereo is going to be much easier and much less expensive. When I first looked into swapping out my head unit for a RF head unit I found out the hard way. To convert you have to buy the RF headunit, as well as the new mounting brackets, and the entire amplifier system because the Rockford Fosgate doesn't have an amplifier in it at all. Also when I went to the dealership to find out how much the amplifier was its about 500 dollars which is easily the cost of the aftermarket. Then on top of that you have to rewire everything through the amp. So what I ended up doing was just buying a powered Alpine Headunit, the bracket for converting to the correct size, and the wiring harness. Just plugged it all together, and using the stock wires replaces the speakers with some Alpines and there ya go muchhh improved sound and Ipod hookups. If you are interested in seeing pictures of mine just let me know.

·
on line
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats the info I was looking for. I had a feeling it wasnt going to be just an easy swap of just the head unit. I guess I'm going to have to go price some cd players.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts