Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took my X to the shop to replace factory radiator for an aftermarket one (SMOD prevention :). What would you suggest would be a good idea to check, take care of while replacing radiator (while radiator is out there is perhaps better access to some things otherwise complicated to see and check, replace)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
When I did mine I replaced the thermostat and rad hoses. The hoses were off anyway so its not additional labor. The thermostat was pretty easy to do with the rad out - I would never want to do it with the rad in.

I wished when I did it I had ordered replacement rubber feet at the bottom of the rad. Mine seemed OK but if I were to do it again I would replace those also. Again, there already out so its just the cost of the part.

All of these things seem to be items that wear, so worth doing while you have it apart. You could do a new fan belt if you haven't done it in a while.

·
on line
1,381 Posts
i'm looking to replace mine during the summer.
yeah i would suggest replacing all the fluids (tranny/coolant)

·
on line
2,047 Posts
I think you just want to replace the radiator with an aftermarket one and not a Nissan oem just in case there still a bad batch of radiators in their supply chain

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you just want to replace the radiator with an aftermarket one and not a Nissan oem just in case there still a bad batch of radiators in their supply chain
I know... I did not take her to NISSAN, but some other place and they use aftermarket radiators when replacing. We discussed this and I was strict about no factory radiator. Most likely Spectra, but they will give me a call about some other brands they have.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Factory radiators have been fixed since 08 or 09 and have a new part number. Thet being said I went after market because of the price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
New ones might be problem free, but..As someone here mentioned in SMOD thread, SMOD hit a 2011 model X because of an older model factory radiator was put into that car... Not risking that...

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I actually had my dealer quote the rad some time back even though I ended up doing it myself, and when they did they gave me pricing for both aftermarket and OEM options, without me even asking. Not sure if that is indicative, but is the only time they ever quoted me anything other than a OEM part.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I actually had my dealer quote the rad some time back even though I ended up doing it myself, and when they did they gave me pricing for both aftermarket and OEM options, without me even asking. Not sure if that is indicative, but is the only time they ever quoted me anything other than a OEM part.
Same here. They quoted me about $250 for a Koyo plus install. I ended up finding the same radiator for about $80 less and installed myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this because it just happened to me. I had my radiator replaced with new hoses, mounts, caps, everything I could think of to replace. On the test drive something went horribly wrong. There is a bracket on the front of the engine that holds the spindle that the fan and fan clutch bolt to (the tension arm is also bolted to this bracket). The bearing in this bracket came apart and the fan went into the radiator and tore up a bunch of stuff. It had nothing to do with the radiator install as this part was never touched. Just bad luck and bad timing I guess. I bring this up only because replacing it while replacing the radiator would be the thing to do and the whole bracket assembly is only $50. Btw, the part no. is 21052M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
generally those bearings would make noise before they just let go.
You would think. If they did make any noise maybe it was concealed by all the other moving parts in that area of the engine. I'm just glad it happened at a slow pace on the test drive instead of on the interstate on my way to the mountains next weekend.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Maybe it is a good idea then when you have the belt off to try and wiggle that pulley and see if you feel any play in the bearings during the install for others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts