Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 xterra and wanted to know what all i would need when replacing the front catalytic converters? When ordering the converters do they come with gaskets and screws or is that ordered seperate? Do I have to purchase any connections also?

Sorry for throwing all the questions out there, but I appreciate the help!

·
on line
2,044 Posts
I am not sure....you should get the special gasket material and replacement screws....most of the screws and bolts will be rusted

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Most of the aftermarket cats come with the gaskets not bolts . Oem cats from the dealer you will have to get gaskets as they are not included . The bolts are a stud type if i recall .

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I just had to order these... they didn't say I needed any of that. I ordered mine thru autopartswarehouse.com. I ordered them on a Friday and got them Tuesday. My mechanic were also too lazy to weld on the "universal fit" and said I needed the direct fit which is way more than the universal fit. Magnaflow Universal fit was like $102 w/ lifetime warranty. Magnaflow Direct costs me 299 each at O'Rielly's (originally 399 each, he gave me a deal). The guy at the dealership wouldn't even tell me how much the factory ones costs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have to replace my front primary cat on the drivers side. Im in Seattle area. The truck was stumbling and raspy on acceleration. I took off bottom flange of primary cat and saw it all falling apart inside so i gutted the rest of it and reinstalled it to see if that was the problem. I took it for a ride... Still raspy and stumbling.. What made you think you needed new cats up front? Just curious what your truck was doing? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For my son's 16th b-day i gave him the Xterra and 5 months later im having to replace engine. The guy replacing the engine said the front cats are burnt up and to be replaced.

I saw some cats for $185 (front rt) and $192 (front left) on rockauto.com. The description says direct fit and they come with front and reat gasket with each cat...

Any one order form rockauto.com before??

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have to replace my front primary cat on the drivers side. Im in Seattle area. The truck was stumbling and raspy on acceleration. I took off bottom flange of primary cat and saw it all falling apart inside so i gutted the rest of it and reinstalled it to see if that was the problem. I took it for a ride... Still raspy and stumbling.. What made you think you needed new cats up front? Just curious what your truck was doing? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
I wasn't having any sputtering problems or anything like that. It just started making this horrible noise then took it to a shop and they said both front cats failed and caused me to have to get a new engine. I never once got any engine codes or anything.

·
on line
750 Posts
My passenger side cats failed all at once and no codes were thrown. This basically F'ed my motor which I will be replacing this fall/winter. Cats generally should last the lifetime of the vehicle but these Nissan cats seem very prone to failure. Had my engine tuned very nicely with my BD tuner, was getting decent mileage with lots of power and now it runs very rough and burns a quart of oil every 150 miles...grrrr!

I might go with long tube headers and get UpRev to tune it all in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had to order these... they didn't say I needed any of that. I ordered mine thru autopartswarehouse.com. I ordered them on a Friday and got them Tuesday. My mechanic were also too lazy to weld on the "universal fit" and said I needed the direct fit which is way more than the universal fit. Magnaflow Universal fit was like $102 w/ lifetime warranty. Magnaflow Direct costs me 299 each at O'Rielly's (originally 399 each, he gave me a deal). The guy at the dealership wouldn't even tell me how much the factory ones costs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought Nissan XTERRA. 2006 three different places reading says catalytic converter needs replace I can't afford. i bought universal has be welded on , I can't afford other baulted on kind . Did the sencer cause this . I put in cleaner subjected lasted month. Second time it lasted day. , so guess I have to replace . I just replaced all break systems so out money. Universal was only $200 for both . I hope I find someone to do job. Did find someone and did it run well afterwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For my son's 16th b-day i gave him the Xterra and 5 months later im having to replace engine. The guy replacing the engine said the front cats are burnt up and to be replaced.

I saw some cats for $185 (front rt) and $192 (front left) on rockauto.com. The description says direct fit and they come with front and reat gasket with each cat...

Any one order form rockauto.com before??
RockAuto.com worked well for me. I ordered 2 Eastern front cats and both came with the gaskets and studs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts