Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, learned the hard way that my 2007 Off Road's spark plugs have never been replaced. Well, at least that I know of (third owner). Odometer is at 143K, and I don't even know if it's conceivable that they lasted this long.

A friend recommended that when I replace the spark plugs, I replaced the wires and coils, and others online rec that too. I am a complete amateur on this kind of stuff. My questions:

1) should I replace them too? (I don't know of any issues with them, this would be just for "might as well do it while you're in there" purposes")

2) if so, is there a recommended wire/coil pack? I see that NGK has packs for some vehicles but don't see one for 2nd Gen X's. Or that era Frontiers or Pathfinders which I imagine are the same. If you have a rec, please give it, and again, the simpler the better given my amateur hour status.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^ what they said. My coils are all original at 382,000. I am actually quite surprised myself, getting ready to change my plugs for the 4th time.

140K on the plugs isn't that big of a deal. There rated at 105K so there definitely past due, but its unlikely the swap will cause any grief.

The factory plugs are NGK iridium. The coils are Hitachi. If you buy the right part numbers of those brands from the parts supplier of your choice then your getting OEM stuff, and there is no reason to deviate. Do however buy from a reputable source because fleebay is full of coutnerfits. Amazon is usually fine if its 'shipped and sold by Amazon" not 3rd parties. RockAuto is a lot of people's favorite as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the code I got was that Cylinder 3 was misfiring, and this was after extremely rough idling and the check engine light coming on.

Has anyone dealt with an Amazon parts seller called "Newparts" from Tennessee? They have six NGK Iridium plugs for $94.

Are you throwing codes? If not, then why change coil packs? I've got 184k miles and have yet to change a coil pack.

Same with wires. If it ain't broke then it don't need fixin'.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
313 Posts
I changed out coil packs with Hitachi coils while I was changing my valve covers gaskets on my daughters Xterra. 184k miles and I'm pretty sure it was original plugs...if not, they were used up pretty bad.

Coil packs appeared to be fine...but didn't want one to fail while my daughter was off to college next year.

I used NGK Iridium plugs that were called for it. Bought from Rock Auto.

My theory on replacing them was I'm already in there pulling the plenum...I didn't want to have to mess with it again anytime soon if I can help it. I see people say replace them at teh same time...but they ain't cheap. I think its 220-240 for a set from Rock. Don't buy cheap if you do replace them.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Yes, the code I got was that Cylinder 3 was misfiring, and this was after extremely rough idling and the check engine light coming on.
Shoulda said that in the original posting. Responses would have been different.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
@piedmontx I agree with what Brunnie said, this is an important piece of information.

I was getting a P0301 and occasional rough start earlier this year. I opted to replace the spark plugs and both the #1 and #3 cylinder ignition coils. Why the #3 also? Because it's such a PITA to get at. IMO I wouldn't preemptively replace any other ignition coils.

You will find some recommendations online that you can replace coils and plugs without removing the plenum. I tried that and it just wasn't working well for me. I fought with it for quite a while and then eventually I just pulled the plenum and it made the plugs and coils job easy. I'm not a very experienced mechanic so perhaps what's easy for many people I found challenging.

You want NGK plugs and Hitachi coils. If you opt to pull the intake plenum as I did, you want to replace the gasket set for that. Here's what I bought:

Rock Auto is a good option for parts too.

I replaced #1 and #3 coils and left the others alone. I purchased a third coil to just carry as a spare in case #2, #4, #6 or #5 crap out while you're on the road. Those are pretty easy to swap out.

Optional: While I was in there, I also took the opportunity to change out the cam position sensors and PCV valve. It was easier to access them while everything was torn apart.

·
on line
326 Posts
^ what they said. My coils are all original at 382,000. I am actually quite surprised myself, getting ready to change my plugs for the 4th time.

140K on the plugs isn't that big of a deal. There rated at 105K so there definitely past due, but its unlikely the swap will cause any grief.

The factory plugs are NGK iridium. The coils are Hitachi. If you buy the right part numbers of those brands from the parts supplier of your choice then your getting OEM stuff, and there is no reason to deviate. Do however buy from a reputable source because fleebay is full of coutnerfits. Amazon is usually fine if its 'shipped and sold by Amazon" not 3rd parties. RockAuto is a lot of people's favorite as well.
I’d replace your coils if I were you, when you do your plugs.
I had the same mentality as you for coils, when I did a lot of other preventative work

had one go at ~220k, replace, go on with life
had another fail a couple thousand miles later

replaced them all

·
Registered
2006 Xterra S M6 and 2010 Xterra Off Road
313 Posts
Yah, as someone said, Cam position sensors are much easier iwth plenum off. Wish I'd known about PCV valve I'd have...oh wait. I put new valvecovers on so I did that anyway I guess. phew.

·
Registered
2017 crew sv
216 Posts
Has anyone dealt with an Amazon parts seller called "Newparts" from Tennessee? They have six NGK Iridium plugs for $94.
....I am a complete amateur on this kind of stuff.
If cost is an issue, don't get hung up on NGK brand. Nothing special about them.
They work fine, just like most brands.
Autolite iridium Ultra are half the money. I had Autolite iridiums in my boat (GM 350), and beat the snot out of them for years. Superb plug.

Spark plugs are extremely delicate and will be ruined with improper tightening, or if you drop them or bang them. Handle them like an old 100-watt light bulb. Don't drop them into the spark plug well, lower them in gently.
Be sure you have a torque wrench, and tighten them as close as possible to 18 ft lbs which isn't very tight at all. A light amount of anti-seize on the threads will assure they come out when the time comes.

Take your time. Take pics as you go to help with reassembly.

Use this video for checking/changing the gap on the plugs. Do not make contact with the center electrode with anything other than a rag, ever, for any reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here's the latest ... In part because I had gotten a Cylinder 3 misfire code, I replaced the spark plugs, the air filter, and one of the vacuum hoses that was deteriorating. Then, after replacing: the code for Cylinder 3 misfire is gone, but now I'm getting a Cylinder 6 misfire code. The rough idle is mostly gone but there's still a little roughness.

Everything seems to point to a clogged fuel injector so I have added Techron complete cleaner to the gas (no results yet but have only driven 15 miles). Is it possible the cylinder 6 coil is damaged? I did not pay attention to which cylinder they went with, so I'm wondering the current Cyl 6 coil could have been the Cyl 3 coil that was bad before.

If cost is an issue, don't get hung up on NGK brand. Nothing special about them.
They work fine, just like most brands.
Autolite iridium Ultra are half the money. I had Autolite iridiums in my boat (GM 350), and beat the snot out of them for years. Superb plug.

Spark plugs are extremely delicate and will be ruined with improper tightening, or if you drop them or bang them. Handle them like an old 100-watt light bulb. Don't drop them into the spark plug well, lower them in gently.
Be sure you have a torque wrench, and tighten them as close as possible to 18 ft lbs which isn't very tight at all. A light amount of anti-seize on the threads will assure they come out when the time comes.

Take your time. Take pics as you go to help with reassembly.

Use this video for checking/changing the gap on the plugs. Do not make contact with the center electrode with anything other than a rag, ever, for any reason.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Move the coil and see if the code changes.

Side note.... you should always pay attention to what part came from what location when taking things apart, especially when it comes to electrical parts and you're trying to solve a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts