Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I've been in this forum for quite a while. but rarely post . II have a stock 2015 Pro 4 X I biught new I have never done anything to it except regular maintenance and drive it . It has 88000 miles on it . Not driven it off road much.
So,anywayI think its time to replace some suspension items. I will have to have someone do this for me. I have no place to work on it myself.
I thinking replacing it with what is on there now
a few questions :
About how much will I pay a shop to do this ? Rough estimate I will call around today and see if I can get some prices.
Also should I do something with the leaf springs ? I saw a couple of recommendations to replace them.
I plan on doing some light off-roading this next year out west. Moab , or one of the BDR's etc.
I am thinking BFG KO2's. I know there are many good tires and it's a personal preference, I will look at other tires though.
I'm not planning to lift it any more than stock . Seems there could be issues if lifted.
Be easy on me I getting older and have not kept up with the latest builds.
I had a land Rover Disco 1999 for many years That was my off-road vehicle. I kept the X stock to drive back and fourth to work. Now it's time to go out in it.
Thanks for the help.
Tom "Slabrat"

· Registered
72 Posts
Giving my .02¢

Rear springs - Yes, Xterra springs are known to be weak and there are pictures of broken springs. I have an add-a-leaf on mine and made a good difference for now at 54k miles. But will have to buy springs at some point.

Shocks - Most people do Bilsiten 5100's. I have them and like them.

Tires - Stock tires are about 38 lbs, KO2's are 54 lbs. So you will lose some gas mileage. I went with Goodyear Wranglers 6 ply as I already only get 13 mpg average. But no doubt KO2's are the most popular and best looking tire.

Installation - I read where one guy paid $600 labor for just the rear springs. So expect all shocks and springs to be $1500-$2500 just for labor. I did all my own work so really is just a guess.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giving my .02¢

Rear springs - Yes, Xterra springs are known to be weak and there are pictures of broken springs. I have an add-a-leaf on mine and made a good difference for now at 54k miles. But will have to buy springs at some point.

Tires - Stock tires are about 38 lbs, KO2's are 54 lbs. So you will lose some gas mileage. I went with Goodyear Wranglers 6 ply as I already only get 13 mpg average. But no doubt KO2's are the most popular and best looking tire.

Installation - I read where one guy paid $600 labor for just the rear springs. So expect all shocks and springs to be $1500-$2500 just for labor. I did all my own work so really is just a guess.
Thanks I was thinking about the springs

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Call your local place about install price, say you have the parts. Where are you?

Old Man Emu leaf springs are $550, up from $380 when I bought mine. I had to pay $100 shipping too then because I didn’t want to wait 4 weeks. People like other brands like Ironman 4x4 leaf springs.

I found Old Man Emu medium stiffness too stiff for my liking but 2” adjustable shackles helped soften it. Now I am about to try Alcan Springs which cost double that and take 8 weeks to make prepaid but are custom to your 2 choices for
1) lift like 2”, 3” etc
2) stiffness, 200lb over stock or more or much more
But after a year you will lose a bit of height like 1” so no fix is forever

I wouldn’t want to pay more than $200 for leaf springs install but it depends on your local choices. Dealer cost may be higher and some places don’t want to install “your parts”.

Replace rear shocks and leaf springs in your case. In my case I think my 5165 shocks are long enough and they don’t leak so I will keep them unless something becomes an issue (like they are not long enough)

My current project:

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
What I meant to say was if you are changing suspension, change shocks+leafs in back to change back.

when you are changing front (in a year, 2, whenever need arises) replace shocks and coils. If there is need, not just to change them. If you don’t have issues don’t fix. If dependable mechanic tells you your bushings are going out on UCAs (front) and you feel some slipping, then get UCAs plus something else like shocks. Because you will pay same for labor, might as well fix 2 things in the area.

Research, ask questions and fix with a purpose like to raise back or improve sag, etc.

I like BFG K02 but they are heavier than others. I paid $950 a year ago. Local owner of gen1 told me he paid $1500 recently which is crazy, I would think of Yokohamas or something with similar tread to K02 if I didn’t like the price. Which would help with tire weight hence mpg.

· Premium Member
400 Posts
Giving my .02¢

The weight of a tire really depends on the size and load rating, and whether it's P or LT. Stock tires that only weigh 38 lbs are most likely P (passenger vehicle) tires, vs. LT (light truck) that come in various different load ratings. KO2's at 54 lbs are likely C load. Stepping up from that to an E load and you're gonna be looking at 60+ lbs a tire for a 33"

· on line
117 Posts
It cost me $300 to install the OME's but I live in Bay Area so everything here cost more. But i live near the beach and my old springs were literally rusted on there so it was a battle to get them off, but I really like them and no bottoming out anymore.

· Registered
45 Posts
I have a 2011 P4X. running Alcan leaf springs with 3" lift, new stock OEM shackles & 5100s set at the lowest lift level in the rear. Up front I have 5100s set at the second setting with ADO HD coils around them (running the HDs because I have the added weight of a steel bumper). Don't forget to get new camber bolts up front. If you're going to replace everything, why not lift it 2"? Mine handles better than stock with the lift. I don't have any noise from my Alcan leafs. I am off road about 3-4 times a week on my mountain property and also is my daily driver. No extended shackles as they prematurely wear out any & all leafs in the rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts