Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a rhetorical post....

Everytime we hear of a new front diff blown, it raises the fear for our own diffs (replaced or not).

We have had several aftermarket companies dip their toe nail in the water, but never anything to suggest they are serious about development. it is obviously a market based decsion...too few Xterras to make it worth their while.

In the near future, I really do not see anything happening for us. Do you all see it the same?

·
on line
612 Posts
That sounds like a politicians answer, granted it's the only logical one at the moment. Which isn't like a politician... hmmm... Muzik ever thought of gov't?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
The only thing that I know of is the new V8 Pathfinder diff, which is supposed to be a modified M205 (Titan/Armada). Both then again, you have to be able to match the front and rear R&P ratios. Both Superior and Precision are supposed to be releasing Titan R&P gearsets in the next 2-3 months, which unfortunately only helps the M226 guys. A Nissan engineer told me that he thought our stock halfshafts would would work with this diff.

·
on line
704 Posts
Once Xterras achieve cult following known to Land Rovers and Wranglers, we should see more aftermarket products.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I hope it happens, sooner rather than later. Because right now the only real front diff replacement is a SAS...which isn't a bad idea, but not suitable to all.

Shawn's right about the V8 Pathy diff, but thats not going to be anywhere near cheap...not even as a JY find. Thats another thing, the cost of all this. With so few parts out there from so few companies for our rigs, we're having to dump some serious funds into the mods we want. That leaves little room in most people's finances to commit to a purchase of a potential front diff.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
How many front diff replacements are available for the first gens? I realize the example is a bit flawed because they aren't having the degree of problems we are (that I know of), but is probably a sad reality of the potential of us getting a new diff; just too much R & D for the available market. I think the best we can hope for is a better set of gears and maybe an ARB. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Sadly, the X will never have an aftermarket like the Jeeps or Toyotas do. Strength in numbers.

·
on line
230 Posts
The Gen I has a lot of problems, but I dont believe a completely unusable front diff is one. After market wont step up for a demand if there is not one. Every year Nissan refuses to fix there junk, sales will go down, but more crappy diffs are on the road waiting for an after market solution. The problem I see is it will cost so much a SAS will seem more appealing, even at 9K.

Unfortunately I have so many concerns over these trucks I am afraid to address the front end only to find more expensive things to fix.

·
on line
68 Posts
Here's your solution

I'd say this is your best bet and I wouldn't waste too much more of your time on this subject. I'm not going to. When I receive it and do the install I'll post the pics.

Hello,

We have had some response over the diffs of the Navara. We replace the front diff with a special Dana 44 centre, it is bolt in and fits a diesel Navara. You need to trim one small mount on the frame but it is very small and it is very easy to return the car to factory setup.

What we do not know is if it fits Frontier, or a V6 Navara as we have only mounted it to the diesel one. The frontier seems to be the same vehicle but from what we know many of the body parts are not the same so there could be differences that we do not know of. Now, onto the price, the price of a front differential is around 6000$ US. It comes assembled with 4,56:1 gears and ARB air locker.

For the rear we supply special ring and pinion set 4,56:1 gears that fit the Nissan Dana 44 rear axle. The price can be app. 1500$ US. I have not confirmed the price.

About the prices, Iceland is in the middle of nowhere with high freight costs and small market and need for special parts that have to be made no matter what they cost. It is for these reasons that the prices are not the usual ones like in the US. Also these parts are designed as a part of our modification on the Navara, and are only sold as spare parts. The price of the whole modifcation is now 33,000$ US. For 38“ tires and the lot.

Also, just for you to know, we can supply these parts but as AT does not operate outside of Iceland and Scandinavia all service and support will be very limited.

Best regards

Hinrik

Hinrik Jóhannsson Verkfræðingur Msc. / Automotive engineer MSc.

Þróunarstjóri

R&D Manager

Arctic Trucks

Kletthálsi 3

Iceland

Tel. / sími +354 540 4900

Fax +354 540 4901

Mobile / GSM +354 863

·
on line
230 Posts
Interesting. Those Islandic guys come up with some great stuff to run those giant tires over snow. At 6,000.00+ shipping I can see a total cost of 9K for SAS being attractive.

·
on line
68 Posts
If SAS is your priority, buy a jeep.

·
on line
254 Posts
Nice job d1978k. I stumbled across the Icelandic Crisis Response Unit Patrol vehicle a while back I guess this would be the company that handles the modifications to the Patrol also.

Very interested in how your project turns out, and the total cost of course.

·
on line
704 Posts
$6K for a diff is a bit steep. The fact that we do not have an aftermarket solution is not as bad as the fact that what we have kinda sucks. I would not be looking for a replacement had mine not died last week. In any case, it looks like there is no light at the end of this tunnel. I am going to be putting up X for sale shortly.

Cheers!

·
on line
68 Posts
I want to buy the diff from Arctic Trucks, but no one from the company will get back to me now!! It specifically states on their website that they will sell spare parts and ship them worldwide.

I was talking to PRG and they're pretty sure that the Titan diff will fit in the Xterra/frontier, sounds like they will be experimenting pretty soon....don't quote me though. The Titan diff has huge cv's as well and according to Nissan literature it's made by DANA....maybe ours is as well? The 2008 PRO 4X has the same rear axle, m226, with an e locker and I believe it's 3.31 or 3.13 gears. I will do some research to find our it the carrier is any way different to the one in the the OR Xterra, hopefully stronger and the R&P should cross over? This may be an opption to upgrade your driveline; albeit, likely not a cheap one.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Spend some time searching this board and clubfrontier.org about this topic. You'll find quite a bit of info, most of it speculation based on measurements, hunches, etc.

I thought about pulling a diff from a junked Titan and waiting until Precision or Superior releases their Titan R&P gearsets (early next year?). Unfortunately, Nissan has been having problems with the Titan CV axles separating from the diff housing (secured via c-clip) and sometimes internal damage occurs as a result of the separation.

I should note that this is all info I've read on the Titan forums. I've never owned a Titan myself.

I just don't know if I want to invest that kinda money in another differential with documented problems. That... and you'll have to run Titan CV axles, Titan spindles, Titan Hubs, Titan brakes, etc... and deal with the extended front track width.

I don't know if the front diff in the 208+ Titan is any different...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts