Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just bought my 15 year old son a 2013 Xterra S. It was totaled by an insurance company when it shouldn't have been, and it sat for 2 years. It is in great shape, but the sun damage on the front bumper/plastic pieces is really bad. The restore chemicals I tried couldn't do the job. I need to replace the headlights too. I noticed in the video for headlight replacements I'll basically need to remove the plastic pieces to get the headlights out. I figured I would go ahead and replace the warn plastic pieces. What is the proper name for those? Are they considered part of the bumper? Are they each there own piece, or is it one piece that goes all the way across? If it is all one piece, that might explain the condition. One of them would have had to have been replaced from the damage it had. Pics below.

Thank you!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Something tells me those pieces are expensive. What about just painting the entire bumper when you have it out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I get it. It is one piece across, and then the silver piece goes over it. That makes sense. The part you posted says primed. Do you think I would have to paint it?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
That’s not Nissan made in the link. Some “primed” aftermarket stuff when not painted can fade quickly and look old. Happened to my rear Jeep metal bumper which was softer and cheaper thank stock.

aftermarket may have fit issues, small or noticeable. For legal reasons it can’t be an exact replica.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Stock new is about $700. eBay has used originals.

The way Nissan plastic is, even 15 year old can look better than wrong knockoff after a year. Not all that looks same is same. Or stock 5 year old and stock 15 Year old can look similarly good/bad.

·
Registered
462 Posts
That’s not Nissan made in the link. Some “primed” aftermarket stuff when not painted can fade quickly and look old. Happened to my rear Jeep metal bumper which was softer and cheaper thank stock.

aftermarket may have fit issues, small or noticeable. For legal reasons it can’t be an exact replica.
Yea I had no clue that wasn't a stock part. Would not get that. I bet you could get the stock one painted if you didn't want to do it for not too much.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
YouTube has painting Xterra plastic. Looks great. Will it last? Depends on the paint, and if the painter used the right paint. Different plastic needs different paint.

the right bodyshop can fix even plastic cracks, cuts...you can weld plastic. if a bodyshop guarantees bumper painting/etc maybe that works for you. Not all are the same. Doesn’t hurt to ask. I would go with a smaller outfit that makes you feel like it’s the right place.

or identify the kind of plastic from inside markings and figure the right paint and maybe top coat over it?

or just risk it with Walmart “plastic” spray can? It’s a big area to paint with a spray can and without experience it won’t look good. It’s easy to paint, hard to paint well 😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I will give it a thought. The bumper I have now is in pretty rough shape. If I could find a one that had good reviews at a good price, I would probably buy it. If not, I will try to restore this one. I don't even know if it is a Nissan original part. I now realize the entire bumper was replaced by the guy that sold it to me.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Someone I know has a front bumper in Oregon. Could be Gen2.5 or 2009+
I have one that’s 2005-2008 but I am far for you too in Arizona.

another option is car wrap, whole or partial. Pro places probably won’t wrap it (one told me that) because they don’t think it will stick. Mine has been sticking on plastic (see my build with wrap specifically - I have 2 builds, not the main one) for the past 2 months. It hasn’t rained here during those 2 months but I washed the car once or twice. What do you have to lose, $10 for 5ft by 1 of wrap?
it’s a bandaid but sometimes those work. Clean surface with water then rubbing alcohol.

best would be swap for a stock bumper of someone who just bought a steel $1000 front bumper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If painting is an option have you considered just doing the existing bumper cover parts in Raptor Bed Liner? For the amount you are covering it could be done for under $100 using one of the kits on Amazon. There are lots of videos on YouTube regarding applications and results for things other than bedliners. I just bought a larger kit myself and plan to use for both my 05 OffRoad and 06 S for front and rear bumpers as well as all roof rack plastics. I’m still about a month out on the project but will post pics when finished.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts