Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

IF you replaced cat converter(s), which brand did you buy?

341 - 358 of 358 Posts

· Registered
3,669 Posts
Bought a high-mileage 2012 4WD for my son and bank 1 and 2 codes -- grabbed front cats from a wrecked 2005 - should work right?
they should fit as there wasnt any real changes to the exhaust system over the years. that said at their age they may not have much life let, or they may, hard to tell.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Bought a high-mileage 2012 4WD for my son and bank 1 and 2 codes -- grabbed front cats from a wrecked 2005 - should work right?
I wouldnt swap in a set of 2005 cats into my 2012 unless they came from a very low mileage vehicle.
In addition, you had best be confident the catalyst inside the catalytic converters were not damaged in the accident which the Xterra was involved in.

Xterras are known to re-ingest fine particles from the catalytic converters catalysts which can ultimately damage the pistons rings and cylinder walls. For many the end result is an engine swap over the cost of a rebuild.

· Registered
2 Posts
I wouldnt swap in a set of 2005 cats into my 2012 unless they came from a very low mileage vehicle.
In addition, you had best be confident the catalyst inside the catalytic converters were not damaged in the accident which the Xterra was involved in.

Xterras are known to re-ingest fine particles from the catalytic converters catalysts which can ultimately damage the pistons rings and cylinder walls. For many the end result is an engine swap over the cost of a rebuild.

The cat was replaced probably had less than 30K miles -- appears to be cleared (no rattles) but I am getting aftermarket ones just in case. Appreciate the comment.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just put on a walker cat (P0430), was getting a driver side P0430 bank 2 code. 180k miles, orginal cat looked fine, comb was intact but did notice a few silver flakes, very fine

I ordered a Bosch 16513 02 sensor, but that didn’t plug into my X, green plug is too big. I needed the smaller grey one. I got a Denso from the auto store instead.

Mahle f7282 gaskets worked fine, I doubled up on output side. Seemed like the converter was like 1/4 to 1/2” too short so I put two gaskets on and left the old one as well. Seemed to seal fine and passed the spray bottle test. I noticed the flange was bending a little which was a bit unexpected as I torqued it down.

i ordered m10-1.5 nuts, they worked fine for my new bolts but seemed too small for the ones that came w/ the cat (and the one left on the engine side), so I ended up reusing the old nuts.

Install tips - pb blasted the bolts and everything came off. Job would be significantly harder if yours are rusted on. I ratchet strapped the exhaust back after the 2nd cat, if you take of the engine side bolts first. The ratchet will put it off for you. I was able to save the heat shield. Take off the three bolts and rotate it. Than you can push it up and out of the way

Not that tricky just kinda takes forever due to limited access. Having flex head ratchet wrenchs was nice as well as extension and pivot.

my studs (bolts that are welded on walker cat) fit fine, I noticed that arent torq heads so you have to pound them off if they aren’t aligned.

results - no code on test drive, car ran quiet. Could be placebo but exhaust sounded quieter, new cat seemed more restrictive. A little less throttle response maybe?

· on line
73 Posts
-When did you replace? 191,000 miles
-What brand? Walker with Bosch Sensors
-How well did it fit? No fitment issues
-How many miles since you replaced? 2,500 miles
-Have any codes returned? no
-Do you recommend, and any feedback? I do recommend as they were reasonably priced and bolted up perfectly with no issues. Hopefully they last but time will tell.

· Registered
2,776 Posts
My GF had both cats replaced Monday. Due to state restrictions, and availability as well as cost, the shop used OEM Nissan cats. Total cost was $2850, which was half of what a couple of local exhaust shops wanted to charge JUST FOR THE CATS. :eek: No more P0420 code.

· Registered
2,502 Posts
Finally broke down and ordered new Walker primaries and new Denso O2 sensors all around. Been driving the last 2k or so miles with cat codes and have been getting around 10 mpg so I assume the Bosch O2 sensors are fouled, so I'm just gonna replace them. Might do like @Levbrans did and double up on the downstream gaskets since this is the 4th time I'll have the exhaust torn apart and really don't want to do it again. $1100 I wish I didn't have to spend, but I gotta bite the bullet and get this thing sorted.

· Registered
2007 Xterra Off-Road
3 Posts
A muffler shop wants to install AP cats. Has anyone had experience with those? I didn't see anyone mention them throughout this thread. I'm told parts and labor (both front and both rear cats) will cost me $3,600.

· Registered
2007 Xterra Off-Road
3 Posts
Try another shop, seriously. That's ridiculous.
Yeah, I follow you. Is it because I live in Seattle? Prices are through the roof. The Nissan dealer quoted me $4,400 to replace all cats. An independent shop that works a lot on Nissans quoted me $3,900 (Magnaflow), and this muffler shop quotes me $3,600 (AP, 3-year warranty). I just found a mobile mechanic who quoted me $800 for labor if I buy the cats myself.

· Registered
900 Posts
@HazelMiser: Search the thread for experiences with AP Eastern cats. Not good. Walkers seem to fit better.

· Registered
2007 Xterra Off-Road
3 Posts
@HazelMiser: Search the thread for experiences with AP Eastern cats. Not good. Walkers seem to fit better.
If I had the space to work on my own vehicle I might have gone with less expensive cats and learned by doing. I'm not a mechanic but I am a DIY guy. I went with a known shop that quoted $600 for the labor. They preferred Magnaflow because of problems they've had with others. That was going to hurt but thanks to a timely, unexpected IRS refund, my decision suddenly became easy. I bought them from carid.com, got them in days, and now my 2007 Off-Road is purring again. For weeks I was worried I'd have to "sell" it to salvage for just about nothing.

· Registered
53 Posts
Installed a WALKER CAL-CATALYTIC CONVERTER (CARB approved instead of E.P.A.) basically the Cal-Cat comes with a 50k mile catalyst warranty instead of the 25k catalyst warranty most aftermarket carry. I'm planning on this being the last Catalytic converters this gas hog gets. Don't confuse the structural warranty on an aftermarket catalytic converter with the catalyst warranty.

2006 Xterra 161k miles 10/2022 new primary cat reused secondary cat driver side bank 2 and two new NTK O2 sensors for bank 2 upstream and downstream, see how it goes from here on out the passenger side cats were replaced by Nissan on April of 2021 for the low price of 3k....not this time....lol....

· Registered
5 Posts
-When did you replace? 187xxx miles
-What brand? Walker with Bosch/denso Sensors
-How well did it fit? 4/5 stars (only the passenger side)
-How many miles since you replaced? 100 miles
-Have any codes returned? no
-Do you recommend, and any feedback? Fit was okay. If the truck had the crush rings from factory, I would recommend using the same style crush gasket when you replace it because the flanges can be bent.

will provide update later.

· Registered
174 Posts
-When did you replace? 156xxx miles
-What brand? Walker primary CATs both sides
-How well did it fit? There is a visible gap in the downstream flange of the 1st CATs both sides and I am getting P1273 and P1283 codes
-How many miles since you replaced? 5000 miles
-Have any codes returned? Yes and also one of the CATs apparently cracked (according to my mechanic and he welded it)
-Do you recommend, and any feedback? No, I have been through so many problems ever since. It would have probably been cheaper and less hassle if I had gone with OEM.

· on line
151 Posts
I have the P0420 passenger side primary code. My local shop that I always use quotes $1300 total installed with Nissan OEM cat. I'll have them do it next week.

· Registered
2006 Xterra S 4x4
20 Posts
Just got P0430 code for Bank 2. Ordered the Denso O2 Sensors and Walker Pipe Flange Gaskets from Amazon, but the Walker CARB 83699 Catalytic Converter is coming from RockAuto. Going to edit/update this Post when the work is complete.

Parts​
-When did you replace? (xxx,xxx mi)?
-What brand?
-How well did it fit? ie was it bent wrong, missing bolts etc)
  • Pending installation
-How many miles since you replaced?
  • N/A
-Have any codes returned?
  • 1 - P0430
-Do you recommend, and any feedback?

341 - 358 of 358 Posts