Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Replace stock air filter with?

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RiNkY 
#1 ·
No this isnt a spend 300$+ on an intake for 5hp. Its about time to replace my stock air filter and I was wondering with what brand? I havent checked advanced auto or pep boys. I dont know if anything has anything but fram insotck and with your oil filter rep I dont think I want to put there air filter on my truck. So what did you replace your stock filter with?

G
#2 ·
i replaced mine with K&N drop in...

not necessarily for performance, but because it's the last filter i will ever have to buy. I think the performance boost is mostly psychological.

If AMSOIL makes one, it would be worth checking in to. you could ask MC whats up with that.

#3 ·
This will get MC' s grits going in the wrong direction, but try this site :D:
http://bobtheoilguy.server101.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm.

I have the K&N drop in (thanks Greg). You only see any performance gains over 2500 rpm. However, I have had K&N drop in's in all my vehicles and they work fine.

The stock air intake is just fine. It draws air from outside the engine compartment between the fender skirt and engine compartment which keeps debris and water from forcing it's way in. I haven't seen a aftermarket arangement yet that makes a lot more sense than the stock arrangement.

#4 ·
:clown:-I've got less than 5000 miles on my '06 and I've also been using K&N quite a long time --

--Just clean it and oil it--cheap--

--I was in Washington when St Helen blew and MAN you talk about crap in the filter-just dumped it and re-oiled--perfecto

--Good, safe, logical change--leave the intake outside the engine compt.--

-- :geek: --JIMBO

#5 ·
Amsoil has a new technology High flow filter. I took out my K&N and put it in, you can see the difference. The selling point is no oil and washing, just clean it once a year with a low pressure air blast. You can read about it at their site. It has about 3 times the surface area of a K&N and it filters a lot more dirt. You don't want dirt in your oil. That's why you don't run a K&N with Amsoil, because the oil stays in a year and a K&N lets too much dirt in. I have pictures of difference if you want.
It's a 100K filter, clean it 4 times no bath and oil.
MC

#10 ·
I think I'll check out the Amsoil myself. I had the K&N in my old X and have heard some weird shit about the oil and pieces of wire fucking up the MAS with the K&N. I like the sound of the Amsoil with no oiling and a greater surface area.

#11 ·
JasonK06X said:
http://www.yournissanparts.com/catalog.aspx?storename=nissanofturnersville&DeptID=191676&ItemID=9479374&detail=1

$8 and it does what Nissan wants it to do. Nuff said.
Bingo! Too cheap and too easy not to use the stock stuff. It works perfectly fine. Just like the Nissan engineers figured. Imagine that :cyclopsani:

I purchased an extra stock air filter from my local stealer. I use one for the street and the original one for off-roading.

#12 ·
Stick with stock. I ran the K&N drop-in and it wouldn't provide a decent seal. Don't believe me?....Run your K&N's for awhile the check the back side of it and inside the airbox. you'll find dirt in all the wrong places.
I know they make a grease for sealing around the edge, but I really don't want the additional hassle. K&N's can be more hassle than benefit.
XT

#13 ·
05XOR said:
JasonK06X said:
http://www.yournissanparts.com/catalog.aspx?storename=nissanofturnersville&DeptID=191676&ItemID=9479374&detail=1

$8 and it does what Nissan wants it to do. Nuff said.
Bingo! Too cheap and too easy not to use the stock stuff. It works perfectly fine. Just like the Nissan engineers figured. Imagine that :cyclopsani:

I purchased an extra stock air filter from my local stealer. I use one for the street and the original one for off-roading.
Remember that in automotive manufacturing, that the bean counters have as much say and final say in how things are put together. So, it may not be the "best" from an engineering standpoint but what is most "cost effective". So I wouldn't say that it is good enough because that is the way it is engineered. Also, you won't have trouble with the mass air flow sensor if you don't oil the "intake" side of the filter. Also, let it dry before putting the filter back in.

#14 ·
The factory install what will work and is cost effective for them to ship the car out and still turn a profit. A factory filter will do but you can do far better just as you can with tires, bumpers, skids, seat covers, floor-mats, lighting inside and out, exhaust, lubricant as well as cosmetics.

I would not sell myself on a factory style filter in this day and age. In your head, think of the aftermarket products that became factory installed parts. The list is long and endless. Most recently remote starters. But go back when people were installing fuel injection aftermarket, now almost everything come factory that way. Just a few to get you started. A factory filter is junk when compared to what is out there now. The particles that make it through that filter end up on your oil. You keeping that engine or depending on it?

I paid what $50 or so for a (Junk) K&N and it's out after I did some reading on filters. It will jack up the MAFS and promote dirt in the Throttle Body which will jack up your Idle sooner of later. Plus, they don't filter like they should, Great for a one day Race application but not to good for everyday running. I'm not going to get into it. But if you do some reading or even shopping you will see they are going away from "Oiled" filters and soon it will all be dry Like the Amsoil filter or the one that comes with the AIRHOG. DRY and more surface area to create more flow rather than larger holes to create more flow. Make offer on my K&N used 5K miles shipped in the box. (If you are not convinced.)
But, seek the info out on your own.
I'm not up for a bashing this week.

Here is a picture of a AMSOIL filter VS a K&N You can see the increased height (Thickness) that allows more airflow by increasing the surface area. I top view would also show that the Amsoil filter has 2 to 3 times as many fins also, further increasing the flow. So more filtering, same flow less particles in your oil. And when you are changing out oil once a year that's pretty important. Maybe not so much so with K&N and 3K per change but who wants to do the work when you don't have to?

Yes I am an Amsoil dealer, but I decided not to sell it based on the fact that 90% of the people think they can't afford it or think Mobile is as good. Castrol comes the closest to it for your info. Buy that.
I go by test results from a independent lab. Not Bob nor Amsoil. And before you ask, yes an Amsoil oil filter also. My whole x besides the trans fluid will be Amsoil. Amsoil has a warranty on the extended oil change. No one has made a claim in 30 years. Not Spam! I'm not selling it I am buying it! Everything I have will be 100% Amsoil.

MC

#16 ·
You can order the Amsoil filter from their website if you have the name of a Rep as a referal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.