Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Just ordered a set of pads and rotors and have never done a job like this before. I'm sure I'll stumble through it like the others, and have read the how-to's so I feel pretty good.

Only thing is, the GF is selling her car right now, so if I get halfway through the job and need something from the store, I'm going to be SOL.

So - what should I make sure I have when doing a full brake pad / rotor replacement?

I've read you should use some kinda high-temp grease on the calipers and other bits? Any recommendations there?

Also, I'm concerned that potentially the calipers will need some kind of work - apart from brake cleaner, what else should I do maintenance-wise?

And while the wheel is off, anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Help me put together a shopping list. Some stuff I already have, but listed here for reference.

Shopping List
1: Brake cleaner (two cans ought to be plenty)
2: Metal wire brush to scrape away any rust
3: PB blaster? Just in case of a stuck bolt?
4: Some kind of high-temp grease
5: Brake fluid - not sure if I'll drain and fill, as I had this done last year...but probably might as well.
6: Beers

Also, I was just reading a how to on replacing the parking brake shoe..thinking I'll do that too, since it looks like you can only do it when the rear wheels are off.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Looking forward to tackling this.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I think you are set for the most part man. Brakes are simple. Get the caliper grease and hit all pad to caliper contact points including the pistons. I'd also do the hardware kit with the shims/clips. After it's all back together hit the rotor with brake cleaner while spinning the rotors on both sides to get any grease or oil off the pads/rotors.

Keep in mind: You may not get your full stopping power untill the pads and rotors have spent some quality time together. :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
you don't need to drain and fill with new brake fluid unless that stuff is black and burnt looking. if you do need to replace, then you COULD do SS brake lines if you wanted. they would def help with the spongy feel of the x brakes. if you don't need to add new fluid though, then I would scratch that because bleeding brakes is a pain(at leas I hate doing it). Also, you shouldnt need more than one can of brake cleaner...one will be plenty. You don't need to be dousing everything in that stuff. A wire brush should take care of mostly everything. As for grease, I use a tube of NAPA silicone grease on the back of pads and such. It works pretty dang good. The only other thing you should have is either a c-clamp, or i have a nifty caliper piston compressor tool i bought for like 10-15 bucks that is a bit easier to use than a c-clamp. Good luck! Brakes are pretty easy to do....just make sure everything is CLEAN before you take her on her first spin to bed the pads in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your list looks pretty good. Some wire or a hanger to hold things up while you work on the rotors. And a few big hammers to help get a stuck rotor off. I ended up with one stuck rotor and had to use a small propane torch to get it unstuck. What a pita. If you don't have one you may want to add that to your list.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right on. Went to wally world and picked up the caliper grease, brake cleaner, and the 'disc quiet' stuff. Think I should be good to go.

Not sure if my pads will come with the springs / clips. I've been reading about "raybestos brake pad drag reduction clips" - and they have surprisingly really good reviews.

Any thoughts on those? Mind you, I can't seem to find any for the Xterra so far.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Right on. Went to wally world and picked up the caliper grease, brake cleaner, and the 'disc quiet' stuff. Think I should be good to go.

Not sure if my pads will come with the springs / clips. I've been reading about "raybestos brake pad drag reduction clips" - and they have surprisingly really good reviews.

Any thoughts on those? Mind you, I can't seem to find any for the Xterra so far.
I'd pick up a brake hardware kit JIC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good call...I'll look into that. Is that something that's Xterra specific, or is there a 'universal' brake hardware kit?
The hardware is absolutely vehicle specific, and FYI if you buy Raybestos pads, they will be included in the box with the pads.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts