Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have avoided replacing my pads and rotors on my own because I was told that to replace the rotors, I would also need to repack the hub bearings. I have looked on the "How To" threads here, and I didn't read anything that said I would need to repack the hubs. So, I guess my question is, do I need to repack the hubs or not?

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I have avoided replacing my pads and rotors on my own because I was told that to replace the rotors, I would also need to repack the hub bearings. I have looked on the "How To" threads here, and I didn't read anything that said I would need to repack the hubs. So, I guess my question is, do I need to repack the hubs or not?
We'have sealed hub assemblies, You cant pack them.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I can almost guarantee that whoever told you that, was referring to 1st gen Xterras. If I'm not mistaken they would be correct on a 1st gen.

As for the 2nd gen, it's literally as simple as removing the tire. From there you have to unbolt the caliper (2 bolts) and you are in business. The rotor comes off from there and the pads should be able to be accessed then too.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I can almost guarantee that whoever told you that, was referring to 1st gen Xterras. If I'm not mistaken they would be correct on a 1st gen.

As for the 2nd gen, it's literally as simple as removing the tire. From there you have to unbolt the caliper (2 bolts) and you are in business. The rotor comes off from there and the pads should be able to be accessed then too.
Technically its 4 bolts....2 on the caliper, 2 on the caliper bracket. But hey, whos counting :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help and answers! I'll make sure to give it a try on my own next time around!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts