Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the last wheeling trip, I ended up with a scratch on my front fender. Looking closer, and it is not a scratch. I have no idea how that stuff go on the fender, but it looks like it is an extremely thin layer of either paint or some sort of tar. When the car was wet, I was able to remove some of it with my nail. However, the rest of the *scratch* is more uniform and it is really tough to remove that foreign substance.

Tried wd40 and that did not help. I can either continue scraping the stuff with my nail or take it to a bodyshop. Any other ideas?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well vman, it's probably tree branch pitch or CACTI pitch--

--What I've used for years, although I haven't bought any for years--

---At marine or boat shops, they have, by the gallon or quart, METHYLETHYLKEYTONE--

_It takes any foriegn substance like yours OFF, with no damage to the paint or clear coat, but you have to WAX immediately after use--

--I've used it, on my yellow corvettes and my X, Blue FORD-etc--checkitout--Also used it in the NAVY for NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTATION--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip, Jimbo. METHYLETHYLKEYTONE sounds scary, do you have before and after pics? I am just curious how it manages to take off the foreign substance w/o taking the paint. I assume I have to rinse and wax right?

Mcampana, if you are asking me about the diff, it is still there. Still blown :) I parked the car for a week and this weekend I did some driveway washing and detailing so the vehicle looks civilized when it is presented to the dealer.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Nope, sorry no PICS, MEK is a Commercial , colorless semi-oderless solvent, there are health hazards, but only if used and breathed a lot--

--It dissolves resins, paints, chemical deposits, BUT only if they are UNCURED, like your paint is cured and aged-OK

--If you multiwash and keep rubbing, you'll do more damage to your top coats, than this MEK could ever do--

--Go down to a marine paint shop and ASK THEM about its pro's and con's--

--I used to use it, after every trip to RENO, Nevada because of road tar deposits on the sills of my corvettes, gloves, rag, light rub, wash, wax, drink beer-what the hell's wrong with that ???

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
TNX Administrator
20,246 Posts
vman said:
Looks like it is an extremely thin layer of either paint or some sort of tar.
I don't know what it is, But I got the same thing. At first I thought someone had sprayed a soda on the side of my truck, but when I washed it, it didn't come off. If I use a LOT of elbowgrease I can it off or pick at it with a fingernail, but sure wish I can find something easier. This stuff has been on for about three months now and it feels like sandpaper.

·
on line
628 Posts
If you end up with MEK, make sure you store it separate from any other chemicals you may have. I do not remember exactly which ones, but some substances will make the MEK go BOOOM!!!

·
on line
113 Posts
Try some mineral spirits first or maybe some paint thinner.. Lot less bad for you than MEK. Just make sure before you rub any type of solvent on your paint, test it first on a less visible area, like on the inside of the hatch or a door.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided not to risk the paint and brought the car to the guy who did body work on our cars several times this year. He's does a lot of high-end and antique cars, so he is extremely careful all the time. He was able to take the sticky stuff off with some chemical. However, there is a long dent across the fender. He said that it was somebody's mirror. If the car is polished, you can see the dent because it bends light. Oh well, f.u. people who cannot drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts