Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips for removing the Gen 2 stock roof rack bolts?

I have purchased a rack from John, and have read the instructions for the removal. I was working on this over the weekend, and "think" I spun one of the bolts working on this. I have PB blasted them but not sure if that helps.

Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
I just did all mine super easy but it's a time consuming job if you don't want to go to a body shop. Pm if you want more details on what to get and etc

·
Registered
822 Posts
I actually was discussing this with John when I dropped my rack back off at his place last week. I think what Rex said is your best bet, drop the headliner and try to get a set of vice-grips or something on them. Short of this you can try to break it out somehow... hoping you dont strip the headliner?

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
^ you have to remove the headliner if you want it don't right. Then you'll need to grab it from the bottom and drill it out. Put the new nutsurt in but if recommend getting a epoxy on the knurled part of it so no way will it ever break and it helps with making sure no leaks. Insert the hand made rivet tool and turn 3-4 times and done

·
Registered
615 Posts
TREX = best way to remove the bolts imo. I needed someone to hold the vice grips for me, but only because I rounded the bolt. the headliner isn't "hard" to remove for this, just time consuming. (esp if you're mechanically inclined enough to remove the rack in the first place)

RicerConvert- great linky

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did a little research...going to try heating the bolts with a soldering gun to see if that breaks the thread lock holding them in.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback everyone...Truffles, I will hit you up with a PM if the heat trick doesn't work.

The first time I put my Xoskel light cage on I was able to get the front bolts out, but so far the other rack bolts are a PITA.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I just did mine last week...had three spin. Rust was the culprit on all three and they all spun instantly. They were so rusted that I fought with getting the vice grips on just right where the nutsert didn't spin in them.

Otherwise xoskel's directions were spot on. But once you feel what feels like a notch in the spin of the bolt, stop. Which it is possible to fix without completely dropping the headliner. I just got enough space to squeeze my hand up in there and worked on them.

I reused mine tho, each one tightened back up while putting the new screw in, then I siliconed everything to prevent anymore issues.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Just yesterday I dropped the headliner on Bryan's rig (DocNasty). It took us 15 min's. Bring it over and we'll slam it out!

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Did this last night. Got 3 of the bolts nice and easy and on the very last one....started to spin. Taking the headliner out was pretty easy. I just took out the OSH, visor and map light and it gave me enough room to attempt at the bolt. These bastards are hard to get out once they spin. Went to Lowe's first thing this morning, got me some needle nose vice grips and went to work. Couldn't even get the needle nose in this little hole. So I just ended up mounting it with just 3 bolts instead of 4. It's pretty solid with just 3.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As long as the head liner is out, pick up some aluminum backed sound deadener (Dynamat X-treme) and do the whole roof! Might not have the chance to do that again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DO you remember what size/length bolts? It just happened to me!!! 3 out of 4 spun straight out. Put some silicone in the holes for now in case it rains.

Did this last night. Got 3 of the bolts nice and easy and on the very last one....started to spin. Taking the headliner out was pretty easy. I just took out the OSH, visor and map light and it gave me enough room to attempt at the bolt. These bastards are hard to get out once they spin. Went to Lowe's first thing this morning, got me some needle nose vice grips and went to work. Couldn't even get the needle nose in this little hole. So I just ended up mounting it with just 3 bolts instead of 4. It's pretty solid with just 3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had to do mine yesterday! did you cut and splice back together the dome light wiring that comes up the driver side column? I also cut the rear windshield washer fluid hose that runs to the back.

Just yesterday I dropped the headliner on Bryan's rig (DocNasty). It took us 15 min's. Bring it over and we'll slam it out!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts