Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to install a couple of accessories for my head unit. It's double-din already, and there's literally zero room behind it to put anything. I was thinking about putting the expansion boxes (sirius & ipod) under the bottom tray, directly in front of the shifter, or under the cup holders. I can't find anything on how to remove those panels. Removing the dash isn't a problem. Do they just pop out?

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Some panels, like the cup holder, pop out with a little force. Most are fastened with screws and/or pop-clips.

·
on line
142 Posts
The cup holder tray pops straight out very easily. Just grasp it at the edges and pull straight up. If you want to remove the entire center console then there are 4 screws to remove. Two you will see right there under where the cup holder tray was located and then there are 2 at the rear base of the center console. Move your front seats forward all the way and you will see them. It's pretty simple to remove.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
depending on how big it is you could put it under the storage compartment in the consol....if you remove the arm rest on the consol and the two screws on the sides of the back of the consol you can remove the rear drop down cup holder and there is a pretty good amount of room inside there

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willgr1 said:
depending on how big it is you could put it under the storage compartment in the consol....if you remove the arm rest on the consol and the two screws on the sides of the back of the consol you can remove the rear drop down cup holder and there is a pretty good amount of room inside there
That's a great idea. I figured out how to pop off the panels last night, but there's not much room under there. There's a little room right in front of the shifter (manual), but I need more. I'll check that out after work today.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
X_Ego said:
willgr1 said:
That's a great idea. I figured out how to pop off the panels last night, but there's not much room under there. There's a little room right in front of the shifter (manual), but I need more. I'll check that out after work today.
so how did you pop them off?

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cup holder part comes off first; sitting in the drivers seat you pull it up and towards the passenger side, then the whole thing comes off relatively easily. Once that's off, the part around the shifter just pops off. But the one has to come off before the other. You can easily run wires from that area through to the radio, which is exactly what I'm going to do. There's not much room, but it's enough for the sirius expansion module.

·
on line
114 Posts
There's plenty of room for a Sirius connect box in the kick panels.

Nissan puts the factory Sirius box in the driver side kick panel.

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem is I'm adding This:

and this:

to my head unit. I need to keep them relatively close. I also have an ipod cable that attaches to the expansion module, and will be adding more components in the near future. So I'd like them generally in the same area, easily accessible. Under the seats won't work as I have the RF system and there's no more room.

·
on line
142 Posts
machinehead is right

Put one in the left kick panel and one in the right kick panel. If one of them is too big to fit in a kick panel then you should have room under the driver seat. Or if you can't fit it there then you could put it in the upper or lower glove boxes.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
X_Ego said:
The cup holder part comes off first; sitting in the drivers seat you pull it up and towards the passenger side, then the whole thing comes off relatively easily. Once that's off, the part around the shifter just pops off. But the one has to come off before the other. You can easily run wires from that area through to the radio, which is exactly what I'm going to do. There's not much room, but it's enough for the sirius expansion module.
I ran my wires for my amp through there but never took off the side panels, only the cup holder. I just pushed them up under the side panels

·
on line
82 Posts
Under the steering wheel, behind the knee panel, there is a removable horizontal brace. I attached my XM box and Alpine interface to that brace and reattached it to the truck. It is out of the way, close to the HU and very secure. The added benefit was that I could take the brace out of the truck, carefully attach/mount everything to it, zip tie it all really nice and then put it back in, all without crawling around inside the truck. I was pretty proud of myself for thinking that up. Take a look and give it a shot.

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NOCM said:
Under the steering wheel, behind the knee panel, there is a removable horizontal brace. I attached my XM box and Alpine interface to that brace and reattached it to the truck. It is out of the way, close to the HU and very secure. The added benefit was that I could take the brace out of the truck, carefully attach/mount everything to it, zip tie it all really nice and then put it back in, all without crawling around inside the truck. I was pretty proud of myself for thinking that up. Take a look and give it a shot.
That's exactly what i did. There's zero room behind the head unit for anything, but a ton of hidden space all over. I also put the "expansion module" in the compartment with the shifter, towards the cup holders. Fit in there perfectly.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I used the space right under the peadals to put my stuff in... Its the main unit for my Nav system and an Ipod unit. These do not come into contact at all with my peadals... I can mash both down all the way and they dont touch.... lets see if i can get a pic for ya.... (yeah yeah yeah, i know i need to clean that mess of wires up... its on my to-do list)

·
on line
1,361 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
I used the space right under the peadals to put my stuff in... Its the main unit for my Nav system and an Ipod unit. These do not come into contact at all with my peadals... I can mash both down all the way and they dont touch.... lets see if i can get a pic for ya.... (yeah yeah yeah, i know i need to clean that mess of wires up... its on my to-do list)

Never would have thought of that. How's much dirt/dust gets to them back there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts