Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda stuck guys. Any help is greatly appreciated. I disconnected the nut on the upper control arm ball joint. I had a jack under the lower arm. But when I lower the jack the upper arm comes right back down so I can't get the knuckle pulled away to get the half shaft out of the hub.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. That's exactly what I'm doing too. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you seperate the BJ on your UCA from the knuckle before you lower your floor jack ? ( not just remove the nut)
Nope, I did not. If you look in those picks on that link at cx, it appears he did not either.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
if you look in the pic i am attaching. there is a red circle

[/URL][/IMG]

that is the BJ. that needs to be seperated from the knuckle to be able to pivot the knuckle outwards. to seperate that, you either need a BJ separator.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I always use to jack up the lac a bit to take pressure off the upper ball joint and then hit the spindle near the boot with a hammer

It will come lose. Maybe heat it up

It's just stuck in there real good
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
This is what I did last time I had to remove mine:
A) loosen 32mm nut
B) jack up side to be removed only & secure rear tires with blocks or w/e
C) remove tire and throw under frame for safety reasons
1)disconnect ABS line
2) with nut still on axle (bang nut a couple times to loosen axle out)
3) remove uca from knuckle
4) remove steering rod from knuckle
5) lower knuckle as far as you're able to (watch your brake line) outwards
6) you should be able to fiddle with the axle enough that it'll slide out (it'll have a good 90* bend at that point)
7) use a large flathead screwdriver to pop axle from diff but be careful not to damage diff seal (screwdriver tip should be placed against diff and the middle of the screw driver should be used to prop the axle)
8) reverse steps to install

Hopefully I'm not missing anything....wrote this as quick as possible and I'm past my lunch
GL!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Back the nut off until it is flush with the end of the ball joint threads, hit the spindle with a hammer a few times, like you're driving a roofing nail or something, don't pussyfoot around, give it a few solid whacks. If it doesn't drop on it's own hit the NUT on the ball joint and not the threads as it is SUPER easy to mess up the threads from just one tap without the nut on. One or two solid hits directly on the nut should pop it loose. If you still cannot get it done then you will need one of these and it will ruin your ball joint boot.

You can rent one from the auto parts store...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-71502?seid=srese1&gclid=CPGn6bbzhbsCFeZ7QgodQAsA-Q

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Thanks. I was hoping it was just stuck. I hit it with a mallot but not with the nut on with something heavier. I'm putting everything back together since I need the truck and its late.

My new problem is that it did separate a bit and now its not going back in all the way. I thought tightening the bolt back up would do it but it didn't. I don't wanna snap the bolt. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You know that ringing feeling you get when you smack something with an aluminum bat? That's what you are going for when you hit the knuckle. Make sure you are using a real hammer and not a rubber/plastic mallet, wont have the same effect.

My little 2lb sledge has never failed at separating ball joints:iconbiggrin:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
if you look in the pic i am attaching. there is a red circle

[/URL][/IMG]

that is the BJ. that needs to be seperated from the knuckle to be able to pivot the knuckle outwards. to seperate that, you either need a BJ seperator, or there is also another methode with a hammer. place the nut on the threaded portion to protect the threads, and hit the nut upwards to try to seperate the UCA from the knuckle. do not use the hammer directly on the threads cause you will round them off and won't be able to re assemble everything
DO NOT DO THIS! Don't hit the ball joint at all. Hit the spindle. It will seperate and there's no risk of damage. Hitting the ball joint itself is a really stupid thing to do...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
hey surf thanks for the input, I will go change that in my post. I've seen it done that way before but doesn't mean it was the right way (that being said I am not a mechanic by any means)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ok. Thanks. I was hoping it was just stuck. I hit it with a mallot but not with the nut on with something heavier. I'm putting everything back together since I need the truck and its late.

My new problem is that it did separate a bit and now its not going back in all the way. I thought tightening the bolt back up would do it but it didn't. I don't wanna snap the bolt. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I
You are going to be hard pressed to snap the "bolt" as it will just spin in the joint. Chect and make sure everything is cleaned up and put your floor jack under the spindle and lift until you are at full stuff. 9 times out of 10, this will put enough pressure on the ball joint to seat it enough to where you can torque it back down without it just spinning.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
hey surf thanks for the input, I will go change that in my post. I've seen it done that way before but doesn't mean it was the right way (that being said I am not a mechanic by any means)
No worries. Just looking out for people and trying to save expensive mistakes. I've made my living turning wrenches most of life. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks everyone. I was trying to change my hubs while I was in doing all the brakes. Everything is back together though it didn't appear to seat quite as low as the passenger side.

But I did notice my driver's side Upper control arm appears to be bent slightly compared to the passenger side. That may be my whole issue altogether. I guess I'm gonna learn how to do that next.

Thanks again!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Easy to replace the uppers. You might as well go aftermarket if you do. Never had a problem disconnecting a prg arm
Sounds like a good idea!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DO NOT DO THIS! Don't hit the ball joint at all. Hit the spindle. It will seperate and there's no risk of damage. Hitting the ball joint itself is a really stupid thing to do...
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey, can you clarify what you mean by "spindle"?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts