Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
933 Posts
Is that the Haynes from a 1st or 2nd gen Xterra? I ask because on the second page you posted, it mentions 4 and 6cyl engines. 2nd gen never came with a 4 cyl, at least not in the NA market.
2nd

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
Haynes and Chilton repair guides often show generic procedures and frequently contain inaccurate information. One should use the Factory Service Manual whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It's funny because the Haynes repair manual recommends this be done every 30,000 miles. I've never done it- just drain and refills.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This picture is from a Gen 1 filter. You can tell because of the filter inlet hose with the o-ring.

Ours is literally a screen, that has a metal cover on the bottom, and a square hole for the oil to flow out.

If your trans is really dirty you can drop the pan and clean the screen, the pan, and also their are supposedly two donut magnets in the bottom of the pan you can clean also when you have it out. I am at 316,000 and have never dropped my pan, but mine has been meticulously service since I purchase it with 1.3 miles on it.

Speaking of, is anyone running a mangetic plug in the trans? I do in the engine, but maybe I should put one on the trans pan also? If so, which plug are you using - I presume it would need to be pretty shallow.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
there is a filter kit available from carquest. when i first got my x, i followed the instructions in the haynes manual. as stated above, it says to replace fluid and filter. the filter is simply a metal screen. i replaced it with the following from carquest:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...actionSrc=Form&searchTerm=transmission+filter

knowing what i know now, i wouldnt have dropped the pan and changed the filter. i would have just done drain and fill. i was just following the haynes manual before i had the factory manual.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it worth dropping this pan to check the filters? I just had my transmission fluid flushed at the lube place. They said it was a lot of money to do the filter inspection/pan drop. Is this correct? If I drop the pan (draining fluid first) how much fluid is going to come out-so I know how much I need to buy to replace.
Replacing this filter SAVED my truck!!! :D:D:D I'm not sure why everyone on here is saying don't bother! If you are having serious transmission problems, I HIGHLY recommend spending the $20 on a new filter/screen from Advance, taking the extra few minutes to remove the extra bolts , and replace the screen.

I'm (not) surprised that they said this would cost a lot to do, but in fact it was pretty easy. My X didn't run AT ALL since September. I had done numerous Poor Man's Flushes and drain and fills over the last 3-4 years, but never replaced the filter until this weekend. I'm telling you- my X wouldn't drive or reverse 1 INCH from my driveway. My father in law and I did this and added new Tranny fluid (about 6 quarts new added) and my X runs!!! I'm so happy!!!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Is that the Haynes from a 1st or 2nd gen Xterra? I ask because on the second page you posted, it mentions 4 and 6cyl engines. 2nd gen never came with a 4 cyl, at least not in the NA market.
Bringing back from the dead because this was brought up in another thread.

The 4 cylinder that the manual is referring to is for the Frontier because they come in 4 and 6 cylinders, not the Xterra.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nissan really didn't think this through for more than a light duty vehicle.
I just serviced my 1 ton Ford yesterday. Nice big filter. 20 bolts holding on the pan with reusable gasket. A nice cover to access the torque converter that has a drain plug. Ford had a TSB on installing a inline magnetic filter too.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts