Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth dropping this pan to check the filters? I just had my transmission fluid flushed at the lube place. They said it was a lot of money to do the filter inspection/pan drop. Is this correct? If I drop the pan (draining fluid first) how much fluid is going to come out-so I know how much I need to buy to replace.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I would prbably not do that.

dropping the pan will allow 5-6 at least quarts of trans fluid out, which was just changed and will have to be replaced ( or re used). also its my understanding that there is some sort of screen in there but its not exactly a "filter".

as long as its operating correctly after the flush i wouldnt mess with it. there's a reason its alot of money for them to do it.

side note, most of us with high mileage x's choose not to have a shop flush due to the high pressure used as it can cause particulate to be loosened and clog vanes in the valve body.

soo.. like i said if your trans is operating correctly after the flush i wouldnt open it up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not difficult, just a bunch of bolts. You will drain around a gallon of ATF. Best way is to measure what you drain and replace the exact amount from the top. Checking tranny fluid level can be tricky because it goes up and down drastically depending on engine temp. So I suggest measuring what you drain and replacing the same amount. You can get Valvoline Maxlife ATF, that is the same spec as the Nissan Matic S.
The filter and gasket are sold as a kit, they go for about $25 and they are not difficult to replace either. You just need to get the old gasket off, and clean the surface before putting the new one on. That being said, the filter does not hold any fluid its basically just a small screen. So if you are doing this to flush for SMOD, changing it might not be necessary.

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
The transmission filter is not part of any factory recommended routine maintenance schedule, i.e., there is no reason to drop the transmission pan to inspect the filter.

Just do "drain and fills" or the "poor man's flush" with Matic S compatible ATF at the factory recommended service intervals and call it a day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it worth dropping this pan to check the filters? I just had my transmission fluid flushed at the lube place. They said it was a lot of money to do the filter inspection/pan drop. Is this correct? If I drop the pan (draining fluid first) how much fluid is going to come out-so I know how much I need to buy to replace.
Honestly, I would just drain into a clean pan/bucket and reuse the same fluid. Assuming it's fresh and clean enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so basically not factory recommended to replace or service it, then why is it there and why are filter kits available?
I'm not interested in losing my new fluid, like others said I would just collect it in a clean jug and recycle it after cleaning filter. I'm just curious to know if there is any gunk or junk that would need to be scraped off the pan or debris removed that will keep the tranny running smooth.

I just bought this vehicle and there was no strawberry milkshake in the tranny. I rerouted the tranny cooler hoses anyways. But I noticed the fluid that came out of the tranny cooler was a dark translucent stuff. I had tranny flushed and the tech said the same stuff was in the transmission. I've not known Xterra tranny's to go bad unless the coolant gets in them. Any ideas? Or if with that info, taking the pan down would help in anyway?

·
Super Moderator
4,384 Posts
There are no filter kits available for the Gen II Xterra automatic transmission - the kits you see are for Gen I.

The "filter" in our Xterras is just a screen. It will catch chunks of debris but that is about all. If your transmission is operating as it should and the ATF is fresh and clean you should leave the transmission pan alone.

Better to subscribe to the maxim "If it ain't broke don't fix it" than do unnecessary work and "Fix it til its broke."

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It was old and probably never changed. Not unusual at all.
To add to what Mr. Bills said, here's a photo showing what mine looked like when I did a few drain and fills.

From left to right we have new ATF, fluid from mid drain and fill, and old ATF. I did this at 92K, and unfortunately don't know the complete service history, so it's hard to say how many miles the old fluid had.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A. Dropping the pan is a colossal mess and environmental disaster for your driveway no matter what vehicle you own, ask me how I know.
B. Drain and fill is so much easier.
C. have a nice day

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It doesn't matter now-last night my tranny started slipping, nearly left me stranded in the middle of traffic!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
It doesn't matter now-last night my tranny started slipping, nearly left me stranded in the middle of traffic!!
The transmission was probably flushed with a pressurized machine. They tend to kill transmissions that have been neglected for many miles.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
well that sucks! sorry to hear that.

so did SMOD happen? a flush itself shouldnt cause that to happen. unless maybe the high pressure flush diud do something bad.. idk i would take it back to the shop that did the flush asap.

if it was fine before and then slips after that should be on them.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
935 Posts
There are no filter kits available for the Gen II Xterra automatic transmission - the kits you see are for Gen I.

The "filter" in our Xterras is just a screen. It will catch chunks of debris but that is about all. If your transmission is operating as it should and the ATF is fresh and clean you should leave the transmission pan alone.

Better to subscribe to the maxim "If it ain't broke don't fix it" than do unnecessary work and "Fix it til its broke."
It's funny because the Haynes repair manual recommends this be done every 30,000 miles. I've never done it- just drain and refills.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It's funny because the Haynes repair manual recommends this be done every 30,000 miles. I've never done it- just drain and refills.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Is that the Haynes from a 1st or 2nd gen Xterra? I ask because on the second page you posted, it mentions 4 and 6cyl engines. 2nd gen never came with a 4 cyl, at least not in the NA market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts