Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I went and replaced the OEM headunit from my Xterra and totally forgot to take the CD out of the CD player before doing so. Is there an easy way to get the CD out without damaging the CD or the radio?

I really like the CD lol.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
Pull the new radio out, plug the old one in, power on, eject, remove old radio, re-install the new one.

That really is the easiest way.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just hook it up to 12 volt and go from there. I had a CD in mine, it just ejected when I did that, no buttons pressed.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Yup, just supply power and it should pop right out.

I used to have a set of wires with single pins and gator clips, let me power radios on a bench.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
at the risk of sounding like an idiot...how do i connect it to a 12v and what is a bfh?
Speaker wire from (+) terminal on battery and connect to 12V wire on radio.
Speaker wire from (-) terminal on battery and connect to ground black wire on radio.

CD should automatically eject once power is applied or just press eject.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Maybe a little better explanation...

To get power to it you might have to get creative if you don’t already have the means to test 12v circuits outside of a vehicle. I have a lighter plug from radio shack with 2’ long power leads and alligator clips on the end that I can plug in to a portable jump box or the outlets in the truck to test stuff. If you have an old lighter plug adapter that does not have a step down transformer inside it you can just separate and strip the wires off it and use it for this.

First, did you cut out the plug or hook it up to an adapter? If you have the plug just apply power to the Yellow wire and attach ground to the mounting bracket on the head unit. If the CD does not pop out when it gets power apply power to the Yellow wire and the Green wire with a Black stripe then try pushing eject.

If you don’t have the plug it can still be done. Again ground the mounting bracket and apply power to the pin in the picture below marked with the Yellow line (bottom row 3rd from left). Same as before, if CD does not pop out apply power at the same time to pin marked with the Green line (top right corner). Try not to touch the pin I marked red, that is for the dimmer control and I really don’t know what the max voltage is that can take. The one next to green is safe to touch with power, it will just make the backlighting come on.

Thanks to the person on eBay that posted this nice picture for me to draw on.

From factory service manual

·
Registered
81 Posts
You used to be able to buy a power supply at Radio shack. Youll need the original harness for the radio and just hook up the red power and black ground to the 12v power supply.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol thanks for all the help guys. i re-used the plug with a wiring harness, but im going to attempt this in a couple days with a random wire if i can find a car battery in my dad's garage. will let you guys know if i electrocute myself haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts