Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took out my seats..did. big carpet cleaning etc.
As I'm putting the front seat back..I place the bolt on its place and realized the thread post that it screws into, is no longer there..
As I check closer..I hear it fall into the undercarriage.."Bye bye threads"..
I assume the welds got rotted out or something...or I shouldn't have used an impact drill to put it back..

Anyone have a solution how to thread that seat bolt in that opening..

·
Professional Amateur Wanderer
571 Posts
So I took out my seats..did. big carpet cleaning etc.
As I'm putting the front seat back..I place the bolt on its place and realized the thread post that it screws into, is no longer there..
As I check closer..I hear it fall into the undercarriage.."Bye bye threads"..
I assume the welds got rotted out or something...or I shouldn't have used an impact drill to put it back..

Anyone have a solution how to thread that seat bolt in that opening..
I haven't removed my seats, so I don't know what to expect there, however, one option may be to use a stainless steel rivnut. Drill the hole out to the proper size, set rivnut, and you are good to go. You don't even need a special tool, the easiest way to set a rivnut on the cheap, is to use a high grade bolt, like 8.8 or higher, 2 washers and a nut of the same bolt hardness. Jam the rivnut in the hole, it should be really snug, like takes a hammer to punch in, and make sure the rim (shoulder) of the rivnut is completely flat against the surface of the sheet metal. Then place 2 washers on top of rivnut, thread bolt through nut, and set nut/bolt assembly into the rivnut, I suggest making sure you get at least 6-8 threads of engagement in the rivnut (you can dry test this and count the number of revolutions it takes for the bolt to pass through the rivnut so you see a few threads sticking out the bottom). Hold top of bolt with ratchet, and tighten the nut until rivnut mushrooms and holds on its own. This is where the 2 washers come into play, it allows some slippage. This usually takes 5-6 full revolutions, sometimes more sometimes less. Then holding bolt head, loosen nut, and unthread the bolt assembly from now set rivnut. Reinstall seat and celebrate.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't removed my seats, so I don't know what to expect there, however, one option may be to use a stainless steel rivnut. Drill the hole out to the proper size, set rivnut, and you are good to go. You don't even need a special tool, the easiest way to set a rivnut on the cheap, is to use a high grade bolt, like 8.8 or higher, 2 washers and a nut of the same bolt hardness. Jam the rivnut in the hole, it should be really snug, like takes a hammer to punch in, and make sure the rim (shoulder) of the rivnut is completely flat against the surface of the sheet metal. Then place 2 washers on top of rivnut, thread bolt through nut, and set nut/bolt assembly into the rivnut, I suggest making sure you get at least 6-8 threads of engagement in the rivnut (you can dry test this and count the number of revolutions it takes for the bolt to pass through the rivnut so you see a few threads sticking out the bottom). Hold top of bolt with ratchet, and tighten the nut until rivnut mushrooms and holds on its own. This is where the 2 washers come into play, it allows some slippage. This usually takes 5-6 full revolutions, sometimes more sometimes less. Then holding bolt head, loosen nut, and unthread the bolt assembly from now set rivnut. Reinstall seat and celebrate.
Good morning thanks I really appreciate that reply ...sounds excellent I just didn't know they made rivnuts that big..
I ll try and do this...I think there's no other remedy apart to welding the seat down on thst one post..
First time I removed the seats since 2009...and it wasn't even that dirty underneath..I highly doubt I ll be doing that again..last resort will be a weld tack..but I like the rivnut better...hope I can find that..

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
A simple approach.

Insert the bolt back into its hole and place some duct tape upon it to keep it in place.
Reinstall your seat and tighten your hardware enough that the bolt is kept firm against the body.
Remove the duct tape and find someone that will re-weld the bolt in place for a permanent fix. I suspect a muffler shop would place a couple welds in place for practically nothing.

Tighten the hardware on your seat appropriately
Fixed.

Refrain from using an impact tool when removing your seats in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts