Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen other users post a few times about a remote start system that works with the factory remotes but not a detailed post about who makes it. After striking out at Best Buy I did some searching and found that Audiovox made one, found the best price for one on eBay and added it to my watch list several months ago. Noticed the seller had dropped the price by $5 a couple weeks ago so went ahead and bought it for $25

Audiovox AS 9076C

It’s known as an add on unit for vehicles that already have keyless entry. I believe this particular model I purchased is an older model (might be why it was only $25) as Audiovox’s website show different models on it now for add on units.

I had originally intended to install it myself but while waiting for it to arrive I called Best Buy to see how much it would cost to have them do it just in case. They informed me I would also need an immobilizer bypass for it to work, they said it would be $100 for the device plus $30 additional for the install if I had it done there. Found one on eBay for $35.

Xpresskit XK09

Got everything in and found that the XK09 did not come with the cable needed to flash it with the correct firmware for the Xterra. The cable was the same price as Best Buy’s install price on the immobilizer so I went ahead and let them do the whole thing especially since the installation would be warranted for as long as I own the truck.

Got it done last Friday, grand total of $215 for the remote starter, immobilizer and install. The guys at Best Buy said they had not seen one like this that uses the factory remote before, they liked it.

To start you just do a pattern of lock, unlock, lock with your factory remote. Turns on the AC but does not turn on the radio or anything you have added to turn on with the ignition. It will shut off after 10 minutes, if the brake pedal is pushed, or if you put in the pattern again. In looking at the wiring diagram it’s just hooked up the door lock motor wires… now at this point in the write up I wondered “can I start it with just the lock buttons on the door?” Watch last part of video below to find out.

http://youtu.be/s6fFsM9s--0

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Ramness, thanks for another excellent post!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when you get in, you turn the key to the on position without touching the brake?
Yup just turn to on without pushing brake pedal.

It's also supposed to something to the parking lights when it starts but I asked them not to hook that up. I would rather it just sit there running without drawing further attention. I may hook that wire up an LED light to see what it does then depending on how I like it wire it to the turn signal on the mirror just to have a small visual confirmation that it started.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
sweet good stuff man!! I may look into this myself....one question though, you said it will turn the a/c on as well correct? i assume this will work the same with heat during the winter? (thats my biggest want for a remote starter)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Do you know if this will work with a Manual Transmission?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Well that depends???... First of all it is "illegal" to have an automatic start on a manual transmission, secondly it can be done with a neutral safety switch bypass. If this is done you need to make sure you ALWAYS let your rig in neutral when it's parked; otherwise your sh!t can take off down the road when started.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
pretty neat. im assuming the only downfall to using the factory key fob over an aftermarket fob that comes with the kit is range? most advertise to almost a mile. factory key fobs are 50 ft at best and don't go through obstructions that aftermarket fobs would. Do you find this to be true?

·
on line
1,296 Posts
pretty neat. im assuming the only downfall to using the factory key fob over an aftermarket fob that comes with the kit is range? most advertise to almost a mile. factory key fobs are 50 ft at best and don't go through obstructions that aftermarket fobs would. Do you find this to be true?
I have, the factory key fob does not have nearly the distance as aftermarket. But, really hasn't been an issue, started my x from inside my house no problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is not "illegal" to put a remote start in a Manual Transmission. I am a professional installer, and there is no law against that. It does have to be specifically installed to prevent an accident from happening, the remote starts that are built for a manual have a safety installed so you have to set the vehicle up for remote starting before leaving the vehicle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wish there was a way to use the stupid "Panic" button as a remote starter. Who the hell ever uses "Panic" anyway?!? (on purpose, I mean) :scratch:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I always thought it was for scaring friends/family/people who park next to you.
No. No. No. It's so we can rig up a system that sprays pepper spray at people sitting on our truck and eating pizza...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts