Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add remote start to the existing factory keyless entry on my m/t. I have the unit and a plan and i want to see what everyone thinks.

I know that just bypassing the cluck switch is dangerous and can only end badly. This is my plan to make it safe.

The remote start has a hood pin switch that will prevent it from starting should the hood be open (unit will have ground when hood open).

On the trans there is a park/neutral position switch that has zero voltage when in neutral and 12v when in gear. Its used for the cruise control system to know not to engage in neutral and it is also used by the transfer case to shift into 4WD low.

My plan is to hook up a relay that went in gear will trip a relay that gives the hood pin ground, preventing the car from starting.

I want to know what you guys think on it and if anyone has had any experience with the park/neutral circuit.

I have the service manual wiring diagrams if anyone wants to see them

·
on line
1,361 Posts
no clue but thought of this on those cold days when leaving work and it's -10 out and I don't want to sit in a cold X. When you get it completed you should do a write up with pics.

·
on line
559 Posts
You're better off with a system that's designed to work with an M/T. I know that Clifford and Compustar has one. I have the Clifford unit in my M/T.

·
on line
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
max6spd said:
You're better off with a system that's designed to work with an M/T. I know that Clifford and Compustar has one. I have the Clifford unit in my M/T.
Agreed but I don't want to have to go through a shutdown sequence every night or be pissed I didn't do one when its blazing heat outside. I can live with the occasional oops it in gear and wont start.

besides, the factory add on unit was $30ish. An m/t designed unit is like $200.

I forgot to also mention that my intention is to hook the clutch switch into the ground as well. Will be nice that the truck will start in neutral without stepping on the clutch.

I'll do a write up for sure as soon as I finalize the plan. I may do the initial setup where ill test it by stepping on the clutch and triggering it and seeing if it starts before I wire up the neutral and clutch override part.

Should be a good time. I wired a remote start in a corolla a while back and that was quite the learning experience.

For any of you that think you can zip tie a valet key to the ignition cylinder and it will work you cant. apparently the key reader is directional.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I just finished a remote starter install this past week but on an A/T. (Much thanks to Spacecowboy for answering my install questions btw) With Miami weather this past week which FELT like 100+ degrees and humidity 100%, I wonder why I didn't get one sooner. My friend has a remote starter on a M/T, and he completely bypassed the clutch switch. But he believes that it isn't good to leave the shifter in gear (don't ask :dontknow: ) so habit for him is to always leave the shifter in neutral when parked.

But I found that the key just needed to be very close to the ignition switch without regards to orientation when testing. While researching transponder bypass modules, I came across instructions for making your own transponder key bypass instead of spending $20+ for a premade one. I seriously doubted making your own would work but surprisingly it works perfectly fine. Total cost a few bucks for a relay. And distance between key and ignition isn't a factor with this setup. I can say that the key is nowhere near the front half of the vehicle (yes paranoid). The pic shows about 7 winds of the wire around each piece. I only did about 3-4. I also ended up not using the relay b/c one I needed for the remote starter turned out to be defective and didn't have any extras at the moment. So I just tied the ends of the wires together and completed the circuit which is now always "ON".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts