Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to relocate this switch to the bank of switches next to the transfer case switch. I prefer this location because all the switches that have to do with driving would be together (VDC Off switch, transfer case switch, locker). It would also be handy for me when I want to start up the truck on winter AM's. I park on the right side of my garage and open the passenger side to load stuff before taking off. It's easy enough to pull the shifter to neutral and start it up but I can't reach the switch from the right side. I also have to hunt for it even when I am in the driver's seat because the switch is screened by the steering wheel. Having it moved would make it easier to see and reach.

I don't want to have to cut and splice all six wires, but instead find a quick connect plug to make an extension with. Tried Radio Shack, all of the auto parts stores, even Comp USA, but I can't find a connection that works. If you haven't looked at the switch and its wire bundle before, it has two rows of pin connections, 5 on one side and 1 on the other. Is there a way to order both the male and female connectors that would let me wire up and extension?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Take a picture of the plug (I have never looked at them). I bet digikey.com would have something. If they don't have it...it's not made. :)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
Take a picture of the plug (I have never looked at them). I bet digikey.com would have something. If they don't have it...it's not made. :)
x2. Every electronic component known to man!

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the back of the switch showing the pins and the male end of the plug.

Back of Switch

Male end of plug behind dash

Here is switch back in place

Steering wheel moved slightly to see switch

If I can get this switch moved, I will replace it with another one of the "Off-Road Rockers" http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/Rockerswitches/rockerswitch40.html One for driving lights (that I will eventually install). That way I can have light switches on the left (same side as headlight stalk) and all the switches for driving adjacent to the transfer case switch. I like things organized and grouped so this layout makes more sense to me. I chose yellow for the Rear Lights switch because I thought it would be close to our orange dash lights. Not really a good match at all. If I could do it over again, I would have bought white or black instead.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
avizpls said:
done and done!

I'll throw some pics up tomorrow
Damn, from reading the post to finishing in less than 5 hrs. I spent more time running from one parts store to another and hunting on the web and stilll haven't got the thing moved yet. Looked on digikey.com and chatted with their online help with no luck. E-mailed them pictures: no luck. I may end up cutting and splicing. I'll wait to see where you cut and what you used. My other idea was to get 6 lengths of wire and put the proper connector to fit into the plug and over the pins (thus saving me from cutting any wires).

·
on line
298 Posts
Damn, from reading the post to finishing in less than 5 hrs.
(and I got home at 6:30)

My pics are'nt going to be very instructional-I should have thought of that.

But, if you tear into the dash tehre, you'll see the wires for the power mirrors and for the clutch OR each bundled in a rubber sleve, and then taped together. Cut the tape, cut the rubber sleve away from the COR button, and you'll have about 4 to 5 inches of wires exposed.

Cut them half way ONE AT A TIME TO AVOID SHORTS

I took the glove box out to gain access to the back of the panel where the 4x4 control is and used a knive to pop loose the clips holding the blank in. pull it out. Then I soldered and shrunk wrapped each of the six wires ont he plug to a few feet of a 6 conducter wire that I had. Then solder the other end the same way. Then I ran it straignt across and popped it in from the rear.

The hardest part is getting the blank out w/o removing that whole panel which seemed to be quite a project.

All Ican say when you are removing the panels is that every thing popped free very easily. If you are forcing it, you forgot a screw.

hopefully I caught in the pictures something that will offer some insight.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think about getting access by removing glovebox, I would have removed the middle sections of dash. Not easy, but not impossible. Been there once, so a second time would have gone faster. Guess I will have to cut and splice if I want this done (and I do).
By the way, in your last pic, what is located above the cig lighter? Looks like Aux. Is that an aux in for the stereo?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts