Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i finally made it out here, im in Eagle river and loving it soo far. The X did just fine on the long haul all the way from Louisiana. I have been fishing down at Kenai and cought a few dolly but no salmon. im looking for a good spot thats close to eagle river to hop in the river and do some rainbow fishing. im not necissarily looking for any trophy trout, just some fun catch and release fly fishing. Has anyone ever fished Peters creek, or Ship creek east of glen highway?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to live in Anchorage (and plan to return as soon as I can). Ship Creek in Anchorage is great for salmon (during the different salmon runs). I'd look into the regulations seriously and talk to people in your area regarding the best fishing spots.

Go to the Russian River campground on the Kenai. It is an excellent starting point for fishing, and the campground is awesome. It also makes a great basecamp for you to further your exploring. From there, I'm sure you can find back country to work your way in to.

I love it up there. It's really home to me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BTW: I see you used to live in Clearfield, UT. I used to live in Ogden, UT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah i was stationed at Hll, we really liked Utah alot, maybe we will make it back there one day. I have been down to the Kenai but not to camp just to fish, and i have been fishing the Eklutna tail race because its pretty close to my house. on a different note http://www.nissteclifts.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Complete_OME_KIT_4e613fa14116b.jpg i may be installing this guy here sometime soon. anyone wanna help when the time comes?
I retired out of Hill in 2007. Communications squadron. What were you? When were you there?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
so i finally made it out here, im in Eagle river and loving it soo far. The X did just fine on the long haul all the way from Louisiana. I have been fishing down at Kenai and cought a few dolly but no salmon. im looking for a good spot thats close to eagle river to hop in the river and do some rainbow fishing. im not necissarily looking for any trophy trout, just some fun catch and release fly fishing. Has anyone ever fished Peters creek, or Ship creek east of glen highway?
how long (miles) was the trip? how long did it take?.. Iv been curious about long cross country type trips? do you stop for a oil change ..once or twice just as casually as an oil change?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was there from june 2010 till june 2012, I was 388 CMS, F-16 engine backshop. I loved it, then i got non-vol'd to Korea. I actually made the trip up here all the way from southern Louisiana, stopping at Hill to meet the movers, it was a nice 3 day break from the road. I got an oil change not long before i left Lousiana and another one in Utah, and one when i got here. The trip went great, i forget how many days we were actually driving but we werent in a hurry, i wanna say it took 5 or 6 days from Utah, entering Canada through Montana.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts